GoPro Tips

two_nymph_rig

Reaction score
I got a GoPro Hero3 White edition for Christmas. Just wondering if any fellow gopro users have any tips for capturing good film. I have the head strap and the tripod mount, and thinking about getting a mount so I can attach it to my net. I am taking it out on its maiden voyage tomorrow ice fishing, so hopefully I can get a little footage. Also, what program are you using to edit the films? I think I will put it to good use between shed antler hunting, fly fishing, ice fishing, and my wife will use it for rock climbing and skiing.

ben664

Reaction score
Gopro is a sport camera, so don't try to film remote plans, you'll see nothing.

Gopro is good for : Underwater footages; film close to the subject.

Filming is one thing, but the video montage is an other.... Enjoy

bloomagoo

Reaction score
I do quite a bit with my two white editions, almost always on kayaks though. But I still have some tips to share.

1. Head mounted video sucks, it never points where you want it to point and it's VERY wobbly and hard to watch. Only use it if there are no other options (e.g. rock climbing). I purchased a chest mount a few weeks ago to use for fly fishing but I haven't been out yet. I also have a mini tripod that I can set on shore if I want a distance shot.

2. Always shoot in 720p unless you absolutely need/want the best quality. 1080p reduces battery life and increases editing time.

3. Buy a Wasabi charger and extra batteries from Amazon; it's inexpensive and you'll be glad you did.

4. Protect the lens on the case from scratches by storing it in a sock or soft sack.

I edit in iMovie on a Mac mini.

flyfishnbum

Reaction score
Welcome to the world of GoPro. I have a blast using mine.

1. Definitely get multiple batteries. Good thing about GoPro is the batteries are inexpensive.

2. I haven't used the head mount at all, but I do use the chest mount for flyfishing and hiking which comes out good. The only weird thing about the chest mount is that it picks up your heartbeat so when you watch the video on TV or with good sound you can hear it.

3. The handlebar mount is good for attaching the GoPro from anything from a shotgun barrel to a fishing net. It also works good for attaching to sticks for underwater filming.

4. Download the GoPro app for you smart phone. It makes it easy to change the settings on your camera, record, preview the video or photos you have taken and download photos and videos to your phone.

5. I'm still new to the video editing part of it, but I used GoPro's free editing app, or windows movie maker.

Last edited: