Maybe it’s just the old ranch hand in me.

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
Did anyone else have an immediate visceral reaction to the new Orvis catalog showing the angler going over the barbed wire fence?
Inside the front cover contains this text. " Sometimes permission to fish the river doesn’t necessarily mean there’s a gate ".

If that was my fence, he'd have worn out his :welcomean
TT

Rip Tide

Reaction score
First of all let me say that I don't post any of my land.
If somebody feels the need to access my property, all power to them.
I've got nothing to hide and I've got no predigests against hunting or what ever.
I've got gates at my roads to keep out vehicles, but no signs.

Just the same, if someone posts to keep me off their property it peeks my interest.
My natural curiosity compels me to see what's there. A single sign will do it.
If someone doesn't want me on their land, I need to know why

pm287

Reaction score
You go through the gate , lock the gate behind you, and pick up trash along the way......
Thanks and have a great day

littledavid123

Reaction score
Odds are the firm hired to do the photo shoot and whomever approved the pic did not grow up in the country. I built fences as a kid one summer and it is a grueling job. A fence post driver in rocky land can be one of the meanest devices ever invented by man. :(

Dave

r reese

Reaction score
My point is, that is a poor way to cross a fence. Pull a few staples out of posts and you may not get to go back. Chances are you could not fix it on the spot, livestock getting out not good. Take care of everything you have or use.

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
Odds are the firm hired to do the photo shoot and whomever approved the pic did not grow up in the country. I built fences as a kid one summer and it is a grueling job. A fence post driver in rocky land can be one of the meanest devices ever invented by man. :(

Dave
Amen.
If I’d ever done that, I wouldn’t have had to worry about ever stringing barbed wire again. My dad or the ranch foreman would’ve strung me up.

TT

repperson29

Reaction score
Like someone else said, that producer never grew up in the country, that's the last way I'd use to get onto some property.

Ryan

rocketbomb

Reaction score
Do not trespass. It gives sportsmen a terrible name and embitters landowners toward them. I know from experience that locals are often just as bad as the "city slickers" and "out of staters." I have fixed far too many fences that people I knew cut to drive through while chasing coyotes or deer in a pickup. Most of us are plenty happy to let you in if you ask, but if you just show up you're liable to get some choice words at least. When you make your livelihood off the land you often become a bit protective of it.

That being said, I cross a lot of barbed wire fences in my hunting and fishing, and sometimes that is the quick way to get to the good spots. Long as you don't slip and catch any sensitive bits on the way over, it's all good.