New line doesn't fit reel... how would you proceed?

caberguy

Reaction score
I bought a DT2F Prestige line from Cabelas on sale to go with my Redington CT 2wt. I had also bought one of those cheap reels from China off of Amazon figuring that I'd probably never need to use the drag on my 2wt set up.

Anyway, the line doesn't quite fit on the reel, even just using a couple of feet of backing so I've got something to tie it to.

I figure I've got a few options:

1) I could cut off about 10 ft from the tail end of the line, effectively ruining the rear taper, but leaving me with a functional 70' line. This line was pretty cheap, so I wouldn't feel too bad about it (might even order a backup).

2) I could cut the line in half, leaving me with two 40-41' lines, figuring that with a 2wt I'll probably never have 40' of line in the air anyway... though it might be cutting it a little close.

3) Just buy another inexpensive reel, maybe an Okuma SLV or whatever I can find used.

4) Switch my 4wt line from my Orvis BBS II to my Teton Tioga, which I'm not currently using. I'd then use the BBS on the 2wt since it's much lighter than the Teton. The problem with this is that my 4wts are the rods I use most, and I really prefer the feel, sound and balance of the BBS with my 4wts (which was why I switched from the Teton in the first place).

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Double taper fly lines are identical on both ends so if you choose option one your not really ruining anything (other than the capability of turning the whole rig around when the front end wears out) so you could go that way, especially since you are talking about a 2 wt line. What is the likelihood of ever having the whole line out while fighting a fish. Option 2 would also work, but you would probably want some more backing on the reel.

Larry

akruss

Reaction score
I use to fish small streams and creeks with a 6 1/2' Orvis Superfine bamboo rod with a Hardy Flyweight reel. I always cut the double taper line in half and saved one side so when the half I was using wore out I could switch to the new line. It worked just fine and I even put on a little backing just to fill the reel. I don't ever recall casting all the line out or having a trout take me to the backing but then, as I said, I was fishing small water. It certainly wasn't a tarpon rig, LOL, but lots of fun.

A few other thoughts; a weight forward takes up a lot less space than a double taper. Because lines are so much better these days, I'd probably get a light reel that would fit the entire line. Lastly, cutting off a portion of the line so it fit the reel would be okay and not require any further purchases.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I'd cut off the last 10 or 15 feet. That will still leave you with a comfortable length of line. The versatility to turn the line around and use the other end was a lot more meaningful when lines were expensive and made of silk than it is if your line is a sale-priced house brand from Cabela's. I've got a whole DT4 on a Hardy Featherweight, which fits only because I don't have much backing on it, but the rear taper is so tightly coiled from being stored on a small arbor that it will never be usable as a front taper anyway.

luked

Reaction score
cut it in half then you will have like for that reel for years
that's what I'm planning on doing with the 3wt I'm going to be buying here soon just fill it with half of the line and the rest use backing

williamhj

Reaction score
+1 for cutting it in half. As Akruss said, if you wear out the line on the reel the half you cut off will be an identical replacement. If you only cut 10 or 15' off the line you won't be able to do that.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't want to be a party pooper but I'd buy a larger reel. Honestly, if a 2 wt. won't fit it isn't much of a reel. I used to have a hardy flyweight and it held a DT 3 with a little bit of 12# backing. The reel must be tiny,

Ard

L

Liphookedau

The way I'd go would be As Ard said,I'd buy another Reel because what's the use of Chopping The End off a DT Line or Cutting a Good line in Half if it was A Weight forward there wouldn't be a problem.
Brian.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
One option is a Cabelas Wind River size 1 for 20 bucks. They hold a lot of backing. More than advertised in my estimation though I can't say I measured. Drag isn't half bad either.
Probably the best solution, but only if you want to spend a little more money. If you don't, I still say cut the line. If you ever do need to replace it you can probably find another good-enough line on sale or closeout for about the same money as a cheap reel today.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Throw it all in the trash and stick with your 4-weight...is what I want to say but that's not nice! So instead; option 1. do what Ard said and get a bit larger reel or, for fun, 2. buy some floating fly line, level, running line; cut the DT2F in half and splice 30' of running line to the thick end of your severed DT. You then will have a custom WF2F that will fit on your diminutive reel with a few yards of backing to boot. In fact you will have two of them.

As a sidebar; I always get a rod first and then match a reel to it for balancing weight and capacity. If I am to ere, it will always be on the side of a larger reel, never smaller.

caberguy

Reaction score
I had to rather unexpectedly buy a new laptop this month, and pay to repair damage caused when somebody tried to help themselves to my Jeep, so I guess I'd rather not spend any additional money at the moment. So I'll probably just switch the BBS II Over to my 2wt for the time being. Then again, trout season in Wisconsin doesn't start until March, so maybe I'll feel different next month.

And yes, Ard, the el cheapo reel is tiny, and not only is it tiny, but it's also sort of a large arbor design. It was advertised as a 2/3. Here it is being dwarfed by my BBS II and my Tioga #4:

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I had to rather unexpectedly buy a new laptop this month, and pay to repair damage caused when somebody tried to help themselves to my Jeep, so I guess I'd rather not spend any additional money at the moment. So I'll probably just switch the BBS II Over to my 2wt for the time being.
Well, that's the one option that isn't irreversible.

oldtownpaddler

Reaction score
I would go, as said before, and buy the Cabelas Wind River Reel. Wait a little bit and you might find it goes on sale, as it does often. Not too expensive so it might fit into your budget and it is a decent reel for the price.
Good Luck.

rockthief

Reaction score
Jim Teeny sells a 60' line and I have several. It is the First Cast. DOn't know if he has a two line though. If you want to use that little fellow on your two weight rod you could likely use a running line from a six or seven line you are not using and it would cast just fine. I did that with a tiny Dennison reel I have and it works fine on my 2 wt graphite rod.

Paul

jbird

Reaction score
Just cut the line in half. Easy choice. Cutting 10' off the back will gain you the same thing except the line isn't reversible anymore. Cutting it in half solves every problem and gives you 2 lines for the price of one. youll still have the portion of the line that loads the rod and presents the fly... X2 :)

r reese

Reaction score
I like smaller reels and I cut 25 ft off all new lines for lt wt rods 3wt and below. put on backing and go. still more line than you can cast on 3wt and below.