For Those Who Need Fishing Pliers;

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
And don't want to pay the big bucks for the various ones offered, I have finally bought a pair. I've been using my Leatherman Wave's for years, I said Wave's plural because I lost one 2 years ago. I've been wanting something ridged enough to quickly remove large salmon hooks from fish. Regular forceps can be challenged by a heavy hook that has a firm hold in a large fish. So I looked and honestly didn't seriously consider some because of the prices but I did like both the quality of the Dr. Slick Pisces fishing pliers. You can see them on the Dr. Slick website and if you shop around they can be had for 30.00

Having not used them yet I have only feel and appearance to judge them by but they are very nice in both regards. I didn't stress over wondering where they were manufactured, I just got them and went home :)

They come with a lanyard and holster for the wading belt, pretty snazzy.

Stock photo grabbed from website..........

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I could have got them on-line for 30.00 but since Mountain View had them in stock I got them in Anchorage. There will be both a Cabelas and a Bass Pro opening in Anchorage this summer.

Bass Pro in Alaska, go figure?

Anyway, the store will need every single dollar they can make because that will be the big 3, Cabelas - Sportsman's Warehouse - Bass Pro all within a mile and a half of one another with Mountain View Sports and Mossy's Fly Shop caught in the crossfire.

We had another shop; World Wide Angler but he folded last fall. he said that after 3 slow seasons of business in a row and the 2 new big box stores coming he could not risk staying another year. I believe that the long time transplants and born Alaskan's will keep Mountain View going. There isn't anything that makes me want to hang out at Sportsman's Warehouse chatting to the people who work there. I've made friends with the people at Mt. View.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I hear that, I'm still using a pair of scissors I bought when it was a new brand at the shop. The pliers come in a long nose also. They have replaceable cutting steels on them, a nice touch and the rubberized handles with knurled surfaces will be good for me because I get slimy.

stanbiker

Reaction score
Ard,

Hopefully, the big 3 will encourage your favorite shop to work on their customer service. I'd hate to see another one close.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I've often thought that I would enjoy working there. It may add to the environment to have a chatterbox in house but there are a few problems with that ever happening; I live way too far away and once the ice goes out (could be a lot sooner than we think) I need to be on the waters a lot.

dean_mt

Reaction score
I guess it shouldn't, but it surprises me to hear of all the box stores in Anchorage. And Bass Pro...that is ironic! Cabela's is opening in Missoula this spring/summer, we've had a Sportsman's/Wholesale/Warehouse/Sports - I don't know what it is anymore after they came out of bankruptcy. I go in there once in awhile, they sell Diiachi hooks but that's about the only thing I buy. They certainly aren't the places I want to hang around and chat about fishing either.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
They are carbide cutting edges so I'm going to guess they would. If the hook were a large stainless salt water type I think they would struggle. Of course most small cutters will struggle if you give them a tough piece of hi carbon steel wire to snip. For light wire hooks I believe they will be fine.

I should check with where I bought them and then test them on a salmon hook. Checking for return policy before taking them to a Gamakatsu 2/0 would be smart.

itchmesir

Reaction score
I saw some of these the other day that I could've nabbed for about $25 on the auction site... I kick myself for passing them up

oregonism

Reaction score
Are they aluminum or stainless, or just plain steel? I want a pair of heavy pliers for the salt, and they seem like the best budget option. Mustad and P-Line both make some as well, but they have terrible reviews (malleable metal and cutters that dull very quickly). Everything else is $150 and up, which is just absurd.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
The cutting blades are replaceable and if you intend to abuse a pair I would order backup cutting steels. You can order these from Dr. Slick................

Reviews seem mostly positive, of course some wouldn't be happy if you hung them with a new rope :)

Dr Slick Pisces Pliers | Saltwater Edge

Customer Reviews of Dr. Slick Co. Pisces Pliers

Dr. Slick Co. Dr. Slick Co. Pisces Pliers Reviews | Buzzillions.com

I have not used them but will probably not cut hook shanks with mine so I expect to be happy with them.

Ard

oregonism

Reaction score
I'd probably use them just to cut mono 99% of the time, and occasionally to cut wire bite-tippet when chasing 'cudas. Looks like they'll work :)

Bigfly

Reaction score
Ard, as a general contractor, I walk into Home Depot and they ask if they can help.....
I want to ask, I don't know, can you? (But I ask about some item, and they say, "let me get someone that knows".....)
Same thing as a guide going into the sports box stores.
If people knew how little they know, they wouldn't be putting the little guys out of business.
In fact the box stores would be hurting.....(Like Sportsmans Depot is.)
Sure you can buy something cheaply, but who do you talk to that's knowledgeable?
The little shops are staffed by people that fish (Obsessively), out here,the big ones are staffed by people who need work.
I asked about a midge emerger one day at Cabela's , and the staff guy (old enough to know), gave me a very blank look.
That's bad because midges are the bill of fare right now....so I know he hasn't been out, or has no game..
(I here-by pledge not buy from a shop that has every fly price-tagged.)
We've lost three small shops since the box stores came to Reno.
Selling and using gear are two different things........If you want to get better....
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FISHING SHOP!!!!!!!!
And I don't mean buy a rod and line somewhere else and then have the small shop spool you up!
End of rant.....for now.....
Ard, I think you should keep fishing instead of working in a shop. I've spent my time in them, and fishing is more fun......
And those are nice pliers......

Jim

Last edited:

stanbiker

Reaction score
Of course that goes both ways. I like shopping at the local store, but if the service is bad or I need to do my own research I will go to the box store and pick up the item so I don't have to deal with anyone. Or more likely order it online.

I have no problem bypassing the local shop if they treat me poorly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Bigfly

Reaction score
Stan, I totally agree...
If it's a bad service shop, they won't last...and you shouldn't have to deal.....
I'm referring to nice/knowledgeable shops that get squeezed out by customers shopping just for the cheapest price.
Knowledge and gear have to go together for this to work......just look at how many come on this site to ask questions....
How many box store staff will walk you out to the water and give you a quick casting lesson, or show how to rig your leader, or tie a fly and hand it to you to try?

Jim

Last edited:
M

mridenour

Ard, as a general contractor, I walk into Home Depot and they ask if they can help.....
I want to ask, I don't know, can you? (But I ask about some item, and they say, "let me get someone that knows".....)
Same thing as a guide going into the sports box stores.
If people knew how little they know, they wouldn't be putting the little guys out of business.
In fact the box stores would be hurting.....(Like Sportsmans Depot is.)
Sure you can buy something cheaply, but who do you talk to that's knowledgeable?
The little shops are staffed by people that fish (Obsessively), out here,the big ones are staffed by people who need work.
I asked about a midge emerger one day at Cabela's , and the staff guy (old enough to know), gave me a very blank look.
That's bad because midges are the bill of fare right now....so I know he hasn't been out, or has no game..
(I here-by pledge not buy from a shop that has every fly price-tagged.)
We've lost three small shops since the box stores came to Reno.
Selling and using gear are two different things........If you want to get better....
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FISHING SHOP!!!!!!!!
And I don't mean buy a rod and line somewhere else and then have the small shop spool you up!
End of rant.....for now.....
Ard, I think you should keep fishing instead of working in a shop. I've spent my time in them, and fishing is more fun......

Jim
I'm sure the giant store would love to be stocked with experts, but there aren't enough around that apply to work there. Still, nearly every Cabela's store I go into has someone knowledgeable that actually gets out fishing even though our local store has more emphasis on guns and hunting and may not be the best example of this. If you write off every box store as having a lack of expertise in our sport, then you are making a mistake. Some of the best local intel I have gotten on fishing in many places has come from a seasoned fly fisherman working in the fly fishing department at a Cabela's store. You just have to kind of learn to screen your guy a little bit.