Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Next Fly Swap Ideas?

Default Re: Next Fly Swap Ideas?

As soon as the one Larry is hosting wraps up there will be another. We will probably not start until after Christmas, we have seen what happens close to the holidays and it isn't good. If you are good at dries I would say to pick a pattern, tie a dozen good ones and set them aside. As soon as a swap comes up you'll be ready, if you were to let me know you were doing that I'd make sure you got on the first dry fly swap in the number one slot. That way you are ready....... Just saying, if you wanna tie then go for it

Ard
    I had already tied the flies and was ready for the swap based on this post by Ard

But I put them aside and tied new ones for the swap because I said I would participate in the first swap of the new year. They have been mailed.

Best of luck with what ever patterns you should choose.
    Details Count

2. Likes craigthor liked this post

I can attempt a dry if that's what we decide. Or perhaps mix it up to make sure we have 12 enthusiastic participants.

The deer hair is a good idea as well. How's a 5/0 Musky dryfly sound? And I would like to see a terrestrials swap if we do it well in advance of their season.

4. Likes baseman1 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
    I can attempt a dry if that's what we decide. Or perhaps mix it up to make sure we have 12 enthusiastic participants.

The deer hair is a good idea as well. How's a 5/0 Musky dryfly sound? And I would like to see a terrestrials swap if we do it well in advance of their season.
    Deer hair mouse is technically a dry fly.

6. Likes itchmesir liked this post

I love the deer hair idea. I tie deer hair most of the time. I think an open deer hair category would be great.
    John L.

"The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?" Lee Wulff

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover

I think it could work. I will tie a trouty-panfish fly that includes some deer hair. We really do need to keep the rules kinda loose. It took a minute to get 12 tyers last time. The novelty wears off some after 3 or 4 months of this. I think it helps if at least some of us think multi-species. Traditional trout flies, smallish clousers, muddlers etc.

I promise not to tie a 5/0 Musky dry deer fly.

I think it could work. I will tie a trouty-panfish fly that includes some deer hair. We really do need to keep the rules kinda loose. It took a minute to get 12 tyers last time. The novelty wears off some after 3 or 4 months of this. I think it helps if at least some of us think multi-species. Traditional trout flies, smallish clousers, muddlers etc.

That'd be expensive... A dozen muskie flies

Quote Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
    That'd be expensive... A dozen muskie flies
    You're worth it Itchy.

I would have no issues with you tying a big musky fly
    John L.

"The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?" Lee Wulff

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover

I'm not sure what you are saying Iowa. Do you want it open or a bit more narrowed, specific?

I agree that if a swap is too general I lose interest, I like something a bit more specific be it bug, season, style - or like the idea being bounced around now with a materials rule.

Quote Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
    I'm not sure what you are saying Iowa. Do you want it open or a bit more narrowed, specific?

I agree that if a swap is too general I lose interest, I like something a bit more specific be it bug, season, style - or like the idea being bounced around now with a materials rule.

A theme is certainly part of the fun! It would be fun to try something like the cooking show Chopped, but w/o the competition. Basically, list three or four materials and let people tie something up using the prescribed ingredients and whatever else...
    Cheers,
    --Rob

14. Likes dean_mt liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast