What are you getting when buy riverfront property?

Reaction score
If navigable rivers are legally open to the public (under federal law), what are you getting when you buy riverfront property? This was a question that came up in another thread, so we made a blog to discuss this in more detail for those who are interested. Enjoy! (blog has now been copied and pasted blow)

Some riverfront landowners bring an urban mindset to owning property on a river: The notion that everything within the perimeter of a property is private, and any use of it by outsiders would be trespassing.

However, it is important to keep in mind that various easements apply to private property, such as utility easements and road easements. Along rivers that are navigable, even if only in small craft such as canoes or kayaks, or for transporting unmanned logs, a navigational easement applies, allowing the public to boat, fish, and walk along the banks of the river. (See handouts and book for more information).

Before there were cars and roads everywhere, rivers were one of the best options for getting from point A to point B. Take the fur trade, for example. Trappers would fill their canoes with furs, and then navigate small mountain creeks and rivers that eventually led to places like Saint Louis, where they could sell their goods.
Why were rivers so commonly used? Because back then it was easier to transport lots of cargo down the natural free-flowing path of a river, than to transport it hundreds of miles over rough terrain in wagons of some sort.

Novels and movies typically dramatize the role of covered wagons in the settlement of the Midwest and the West, but historians estimate that in reality, more settlers came west on steamboats, and other smaller boats, than in covered wagons. (1)

So what is a navigable river?
Although there are several definitions of “navigable,” the type of navigability that applies to recreation on smaller rivers is navigable for Commerce Clause purposes. Commerce has been happening on rivers for centuries, even before the fur trade, and has been protected by federal law since our nation’s founding. If logs or canoes could be transported down a river, then it is navigable for Commerce Clause purposes and should be open for the public to kayak, canoe, fish, raft, duck hunt, and walk along the banks of the river, in all states.

What do you get when you purchase riverfront property?
You get a “front-row seat” for viewing the river, and easy access to the river. Think about an ocean-front home in California or Florida, or a ski lodge along the ski slopes. You get a prime location, with nature’s beauty and daily outdoor sports opportunities right in your back yard. You don’t have to drive through traffic to get to the beautiful spot. These sorts of homes and ranches have high values for being along a river.

However, the beach, the ski slope, and the river, are still open to public use. Even if local property law says that private property extends to the middle of the river, or all the way across the river, federal law still says that private ownership of the bed and banks of a navigable river is “a bare technical title,” always subject to public rights to use the river and its banks. (2)

Meet Pete
So what’s the right attitude to have as a riverfront landowner? Pete from North Carolina is a great example. Pete purchased a few acres on the Little Tennessee River in Macon County last year. He’s been an avid fisherman and kayaker for as long as he can remember. He especially enjoys the solitude that comes with fishing mountain streams. He’s enjoyed rivers in Alaska, Wyoming, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and North Carolina. Pete’s so fond of traveling to fish and kayak he invented his own folding boat and started The Folding Boat Company to build them.

Pete says he has no problem with people walking, portaging or fishing from the banks of the river on his property as long as they respect it.

He’s had a few instances encountering other landowners who have tried to prevent access to their stream banks. One example was on the Little River in North Carolina, which flows through nice duck habitat. When Pete arrived at a bridge crossing to put in, the land around the bridge was marked with “No Trespassing” signs. Pete asked permission from the landowner and was told "No, the river isn't navigable.” Pete went and found another crossing about a mile away, then navigated his folding kayak all the way back up to where he had first stopped.

When he returned, there were two game wardens waiting for him. They checked him out and then told him that as long as he didn't step out of his boat he was okay. This notion is common in many states, where local law enforcement officials say that you can float but not touch the bottom. Putting folding boat kayaking a small creekfederal law aside for the moment, is it realistic in practice to float and not touch the bottom at all? You hit rocks, portage around dangerous obstacles, take a rest break, etc., and you touch the ground naturally in the course of doing these things. It just doesn't make sense in actual practice to only be allowed to "float" and not touch the bottom. In Pete's experience, he agrees. He says, “I often have to use my paddle or my hands to clear an obstacle in the water. This happens on large and small streams alike.”

The hope to get on the same page
Pete wishes that other landowners would treat river users the same way he does: No problem with anyone using the river and the bank as long as they clean up behind themselves. This is NOR’s hope as well. It requires respect on all sides. River users need to respect the landowner and the river by using the river in nondestructive ways and NEVER leave trash, and landowners need to respect the law by allowing the public to use navigable streams and rivers without interference. Rivers are a natural treasure, created for all to enjoy respectfully.

Special thanks to Pete for sharing his story and photos. To see the blog with photos, river law handouts, and more info, visit nationalrivers.org

Sources:
(1) Settlers coming west by steamboat and other smaller boats: The Rivermen, by Paul O’Neill, Time-Life Books 1975.
(2) Bare technical title, always subject to public rights to use the river: U.S. Supreme Court decisions in the cases of Scranton v. Wheeler, 179 U.S. 141 (1900), West Chicago Railroad Company v. Illinois, 201 U.S. 506 (1906), and United States v. Cress, 243 U.S. 316 (1917).

Last edited:

littledavid123

Reaction score
My question: Since National Rivers is a organazation soliciting money to support among other things its employees, shouldn't they have to pay for a business membership to post here? After all, whenever this group posts, they are merely directing members to go to their web page to read the article. I don't think it's fair to our business members.

Dave

Reaction score
My question: Since National Rivers is a organazation soliciting money to support among other things its employees, shouldn't they have to pay for a business membership to post here? After all, whenever this group posts on here they are merely directing members to go to their web page to read the article. I don't think it's fair to our business members.

Dave
Hi Dave, we are a nonprofit looking to interact with river users, answer questions, and have dialog about common issues. The links to the blog are meant to help that dialog happen. If that's a problem, we would be more than happy to "copy and paste" the blog text onto the forum. In fact, I will make a note to start doing that from now on. We don't have ads on our site, we don't get money from people going to the website. I'm a volunteer, I don't get paid participate and answer questions. Let me know if I can answer other questions.

Thanks, Vanessa

littledavid123

Reaction score
I like what you have posted to date and have found the information interesting and posting the stories on the forum instead of directing them to your home page that is soliciting donations would be fairer to our business members.

Dave

Reaction score
I like what you have posted to date and have found the information interesting and posting the stories on the forum instead of directing them to your home page that is soliciting donations would be fairer to our business members.

Dave
You bet, that's understandable. I will post the content directly to the site!

moucheur2003

Reaction score
If navigable rivers are legally open to the public (under federal law), what are you getting when you buy riverfront property? This was a question that came up in another thread, so we made a blog to discuss this in more detail for those who are interested. Enjoy!
The federal public right in navigable waters does not necessarily extend beyond the right to float a boat on the surface of the water. In most states you would be getting at least the right to prevent access across your property to the water. In many states you would also get the exclusive right to use the bank and shoreline that you own, and in states where riparian ownership extends to the submerged land under the water surface you would also get the exclusive right to wade on the river bottom.

There is also some old case law from the days of log drives, providing a public right to use the riverbed and shore to the limited extent necessary for transporting goods (for example, to prevent or clear logjams), but log drives are rarely conducted any more, and those precedents would not necessarily extend to uses of the shore or riverbed for any purpose other than facilitating water-borne transportation (for example, they would not necessarily allow recreational use).

silver creek

Reaction score

al_a

Reaction score
I own two pieces of riverfront property, one in Montana, one in Missouri. With both, I get the benefit of being able to walk out my front door (in Montana) or out of my car parked at a private parking spot, and be fishing twenty yards away. I get to put in or take out a canoe or personal raft or kayak at my place instead of using a public access; have my wife drive me up to the put-in and drop me off and I'm done when I get to the house, or put in at the house and call her to come pick me up when I'm about finished with the float. It saves lots of time otherwise spent on shuttling vehicles. I can't stop people from floating by or walking along the gravel bars or picnicking on the island in front of the house, but I can lounge on a lawn chair in the shade and watch them going down the river fishing, along with eagles and pelicans and ospreys and waterfowl. On the river in Missouri, floating is difficult to impossible in the low water of summer and dangerous for the inexperienced in higher water levels, so it really doesn't get a lot of people away from the public accesses, so I generally have the river to myself when I go there.

So even in states like Montana and Missouri with enlightened river access, owning land along the river has its perks. As long as you accept the fact that you don't own the river, you're still in a situation that is envied by a lot of people.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Way back in the day one of my reporting departments were the Flood Insurance staff. You got a home loan and you got a letter asking (in places you had no choice) to get Flood Insurance.

Central (Sacramento) Valley in California you had no choice regardless of where you were on 'the map.' Production people would SCREAM AT ME that you 'can't do that.' I told them to go fuxk off.

Then the 1,000 year flood.

cab

Reaction score
This is a topic of heated discussion here in CO.

Private land ownership vs. public access. Problem: I see both sides.

CAB

itchmesir

Reaction score
They just extended the "flood plain" map here to include a radius for 100yr flood... Pretty much if you live in the valley now... You're gonna pay flood insurance

M

mridenour

When I built my home, I was harrassed to buy flood insurance. I live in the glacial hills above the Mississippi River. Some guy looked at a map and said I was close to the river so I was required to buy flood insurance. He didn't realize that the entire city of St. Louis would be underwater before my house flooded. I have been able to see the flood waters from my perch atop the hill but if it ever reaches me, insurance isn't going to do anyone any good.

romanl

Reaction score
Yes there are pros and cons to each side. We are just explaining what existing law says, and how it's is often being ignored. Since you seem interested in Colorado, river law & public rights for Colorado is discussed in this handout. Hope it helps, at least in understanding existing law. Cheers
http://www.nationalrivers.org/2013 10 final COLORADO handout on 8x11.pdf
interesting read,
but in short:
Can and should i attempt to navigate along the banks of any CO river? even through private land?