Looking for info on a Go pro camera.

gzarboni

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has a Go pro camera? I am looking at getting one for underwater shots. I have done some research and I am leaning toward a Go pro hero 3 black. Can any one out there give me some honest reviews from personnel experience. Thanks.
Glen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chauncey

Reaction score
as someone who has a go pro hero 3 and had a contour hd helmet cam; the hero 3 is by far one of the best action cams on the market.

I have the hero 3 black and the remote is actually pretty handy when you want to to quickly turn on the cam/record without having to futz with the camera (especially if its mounted on your chest or on a helmet)

Having the ability to review video/photos from your phone using bluetooth is also really nice.

I havnt taken my fishing yet but will this summer. Ive mostly used it while skiing

twfitw

Reaction score
Hey gzarboni

I have and use my Go Pro Hero 3 silver edition a lot... the video I posted in this thread was shot entirely on the Go Pro. I love it, it is awesome! It works well underwater, there is one shot in that video but I can highly recommend it. The versatility of the camera and the ability to mount it anywhere and shoot/fish simultaneously is why I love it so much. The only thing I don't like about it is that you cannot zoom in and out on it.... but all the other features will mean that I will always carry mine with me and I won't trade it in for anything else...

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have the 2 and have done extensive underwater, I do not know if the 3 comes with a flat lens but I had to change my lens to a flat lens on my waterproof housing and the footage is much better.

romanl

Reaction score
i had old Gopro Hero, gave that away
as we not have Hero3+ but i have not yet used it,
played around with it at home and really like the GoPro app (free) on my iPhone, you can see pics/videos right away and see what you're going to film when setting up with out needing to buy LCD screen($80), i think its a great app.

all i know is that if you do get Hero3+ Black edition, it requires highest rate micro SD cards (quite a bit more expensive then the ones for regular 3+)
yes it does have much higher frame rate, but question you have to ask is do you really need it?

so main diff between 3+ and 3+BE
3+ : 10 MP cam, 1080P 60fps, Burst mode 10frames/1sec
3+BE: 12 MP ca, Burst mode can do 30frames/1sec (this is would be cool, but thats really only needed if you plan on doing some very slow motion videos/sequence shots) , 4K (since 4K tv's just came out, i don't think you'll use all its power, 1080P is plenty at 60FPS, thats full HD), but you do get remote($80 if you wanted to get it for 3+) and 3+BE does have little better White Balance AUTO options.

but read some reviews, as i heard (not my personal experience) some people were having issues with 3+BE and memory cards freezing up/etc due to very high definition it can record at.

main things to consider: do you really need 4K definition and Burst of 30frames/1sec
do you need remote (if you have iPhone app i think its better as you can actually see the image on your phone so better for setting up perfect shots) for this you'd need LCD ($80)
and check price difference between Micro SD cards needed for Black Edition or 3 & 3+ as price i think doubles for Class10 or whatever is needed for the Black Edition.

one last advise: when buying SD cards i would suggest: if you want lets say 64 gigs, get 2 x 32gig cards or 4 x 16gig cards.
basically 16 gig card should outlast your battery or be right around same recording time as battery capacity. so if you buy additional batteries ($20 each) you can change out the SD card whenever you're changing the battery, its very easy.
reason for that is SD cards do tend to fail sometimes and if you have 64 gigs worth of videos you can loose it all (read this in online reviews)
i myself bought 32gig card

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

I have the 2 and have done extensive underwater, I do not know if the 3 comes with a flat lens but I had to change my lens to a flat lens on my waterproof housing and the footage is much better.
do you mean Flat Lens housing?? in which case it is Flat
the lens itself (like all others) is not

M

mridenour

My buddy Rick (troutn) had one. Someone must have seen him putting it in the bottom of the console on his F-350 when he parked at the hotel on a salmon trip to Milwaukee. His truck was broken into and it was stolen. Good thing they didn't look under the back seat and find all those fly rods.

The good news is that I have a 14 minute video of me catching my biggest King so far!:fishing:

cowger10

Reaction score
I got a go pro for christmas this year and I love it. There are many different diy mounts out there that you can make for cheap.

hokiehunter07

Reaction score
Go pros are awesome. The battery life isn't that great so be sure to get extra batteries. There's a combo on Amazon called Wasabi power that is a wall charger, car charger and 2 spare batteries for like $30 and it's worth it. Have SD cards coming out of your ears and get a rather large external hard drive.

I have Hero 3 Silver and it does wonderfully for fishing. The 3+ and the black are better if you're doing action sports like white water, motocross, skiing, etc.

The head mount is great, but you turn your head so much the action can get pretty jumbled. I have the head and the chest and if I know I'm going to be facing the direction I'm casting I'll use the chest over the head mount.

I use my phone as a remote. when I'm fishing a trout stream, it's nothing to simply turn the camera on and off. The remote is definitely a useful tool, but one more thing to keep up with on the water. Might be nice attached to a zinger.

Video quality is top notch. I'll try and link some videos a bud and I made with his silver attached to an RC Plane and an RC Quad copter. One thing you'll notice about underwater shots though is that your crystal clear stream isn't nearly as clear as you think it is under water. If you try to stick your gopro in the water on a pool edge to film what underwater you're going to be disappointed with the results a lot of the time. It's almost better to have the camera mounted on a stick and then put the whole thing underwater closer to where you want to film. Obviously I wouldn't do this until you're done fishing a pool.

It's a great tool. some of the coolest footage I've seen is with the camera looking back at the angler. Hopefully I'll put mine to better use this year.

oldtownpaddler

Reaction score
Can't say anything about the Hero 3 but I have the Hero 1 and Hero 960, both older models, and I love them. I have though heard good things about the Hero 3. Maybe check eBay for an older model or a used one and then use the extra money for mounts and other accessories. Just an idea.

Any GoPro you buy I am sure you will like it.

bloomagoo

Reaction score
I owned a Hero 2, then sold it and bought two Hero 3 White editions. The Black edition is a great camera but it has some downsides.

First is the cost. You can buy two Whites for the cost of the Black. If you're going to be serious about using it be prepared to ruin a few in the water or by dropping them on rocks.

The Black also eats batteries much faster due to it's larger sensor. And using the higher resolutions eats up storage fast. Not to mention those larger files drastically increase your editing and rendering times. So if you don't absolutely need to shoot in resolutions higher than 1080p, the Black is overkill unless you want super hi rez slo mo.

For noobs, I always recommend that you start shooting all your videos in 720/30 until you understand the process.

You can see samples on my Youtube channel. The earlier examples were shot with the Hero 2, the recent examples with the Hero 3 White.

romanl

Reaction score
Go pros are awesome. The battery life isn't that great so be sure to get extra batteries. There's a combo on Amazon called Wasabi power that is a wall charger, car charger and 2 spare batteries for like $30 and it's worth it.
thanks for the tip
just looked it up and they are going for $24, thats 2 pack + charger, great deal, will be ordering soon

okbow68

Reaction score
So if I am reading this all correctly a go pro hero 3 white edition would be more than enough camera for the neophyte?

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
i had old Gopro Hero, gave that away
as we not have Hero3+ but i have not yet used it,
played around with it at home and really like the GoPro app (free) on my iPhone, you can see pics/videos right away and see what you're going to film when setting up with out needing to buy LCD screen($80), i think its a great app.

all i know is that if you do get Hero3+ Black edition, it requires highest rate micro SD cards (quite a bit more expensive then the ones for regular 3+)
yes it does have much higher frame rate, but question you have to ask is do you really need it?

so main diff between 3+ and 3+BE
3+ : 10 MP cam, 1080P 60fps, Burst mode 10frames/1sec
3+BE: 12 MP ca, Burst mode can do 30frames/1sec (this is would be cool, but thats really only needed if you plan on doing some very slow motion videos/sequence shots) , 4K (since 4K tv's just came out, i don't think you'll use all its power, 1080P is plenty at 60FPS, thats full HD), but you do get remote($80 if you wanted to get it for 3+) and 3+BE does have little better White Balance AUTO options.

but read some reviews, as i heard (not my personal experience) some people were having issues with 3+BE and memory cards freezing up/etc due to very high definition it can record at.

main things to consider: do you really need 4K definition and Burst of 30frames/1sec
do you need remote (if you have iPhone app i think its better as you can actually see the image on your phone so better for setting up perfect shots) for this you'd need LCD ($80)
and check price difference between Micro SD cards needed for Black Edition or 3 & 3+ as price i think doubles for Class10 or whatever is needed for the Black Edition.

one last advise: when buying SD cards i would suggest: if you want lets say 64 gigs, get 2 x 32gig cards or 4 x 16gig cards.
basically 16 gig card should outlast your battery or be right around same recording time as battery capacity. so if you buy additional batteries ($20 each) you can change out the SD card whenever you're changing the battery, its very easy.
reason for that is SD cards do tend to fail sometimes and if you have 64 gigs worth of videos you can loose it all (read this in online reviews)
i myself bought 32gig card

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

do you mean Flat Lens housing?? in which case it is Flat
the lens itself (like all others) is not
Yes, just the housing. I heard they were going to fix the problem. Sounds like they did. The round lens on the housing made things look out of focus.

hokiehunter07

Reaction score
I'd get the silver over the white. There's enough performance difference between the white and silver

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk