Fishpond Nomad Nets

craigthor

Reaction score
Without taking the other thread off topic the Nomad nets got brought up and I have looked at them previously. Anyone using the hand net or mid length net? The hoop looks much better suited than my Brodin will be for bass catching.

My fishing will be either bank or wade fishing so the slight extra reach from mid length might be nice.

Thanks.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Craig, a mid length guide net was my choice. (See Truckee thread...)
18x13 hoop, overall, 37". Sweet.....

craigthor

Reaction score
Craig, a mid length guide net was my choice. (See Truckee thread...)
18x12 hoop, overall, 30". Sweet.....
Thanks, I know Feather Craft has their $20 off purchases over $100 this weekend so figure now is the time to upgrade before the thaw.

Bigfly

Reaction score
I haven't seen the new "Tailwaters" Brown trout pattern.............
Might not be out yet. Green is nice, river camo better to me.
Love feather craft.....Recommend getting the locking gear keeper/re-tractor while you're at it....hate to lose a net.

craigthor

Reaction score
I haven't seen the new "Tailwaters" Brown trout pattern.............
Might not be out yet. Green is nice, river camo better to me.
Love feather craft.....Recommend getting the locking gear keeper/retractor while you're at it.
I like the plain jane green, a plus is these float as well. An extra $20 makes the deal that much nicer.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Not so plain.....it's got a nice grippy surface, camo doesn't. (They only had camo in stock for me.)
When the net floats, and is tethered, you can use BOTH hands for the fish.
I find the clear bag calms them too.
Enjoy!

williamhj

Reaction score
My brother had the mid-length one and loves it. Carries it in his wading belt. He's found it really handy to have a bit more length to net the fish. I ended up getting a longer Brodin net and love it, but his is very nice.

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
I got a longer handle net,,,and I find it helps me not have to wobble over stones when netting a fish. AND, I stopped carrying it on a magnetic thing and just stick it in my belt in back,,like an Indian might carry a tomahawk,,and works like a charme that way.
I like the looks of them Nomad nets,,,just cant justify buying one right now,,but if my Stephens ever wears out,,,that'd be what I'd want. I love the olive drab look of them,,,says 'fisherman' to my mind.

mike

tex

Reaction score
I have the hand net, but I bought mine before Fishpond bought them out. Absolutely wonderful, plus its a beauty to look at!

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I am modern in my rods and reels but old fashioned in my net; a hand made Catskill Beavertail design with a hand knotted soft cord net bag. However, I am growing to fancy the rugged, floatable, light weight, clear plastic net bag Fishpond Nomad for my Montana drift boat fishing...so the long handled version is on my wish list.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Bigfly and William: I have been interested in that 37" mid-length model since I first saw the Nomad nets. My issue with using a net while wade fishing has always been how much I have to extend to try to net a fish; rod arm outstretched as far behind the head as possible, netting arm reaching out in front as far as possible, all the while trying not to tip over with rocks poking into the one knee I'm planted on. It is quite the core workout.

Aside from the yoga-esque movement, this is act puts more strain on your rod than any other action. Most likely you have your rod pointed back and up, away from the fish. This puts incredible strain on the tip of your rod, bending it close to 180* if not to it. Most rods break at the tip and when they are over stressed like this action. Think about it, you would never truly double your rod tip back on purpose while fighting a fish...and if you saw someone do it you'd say, "look at that yayhoo, he's gonna bust his rod."

Diatribe aside: do you guys with experience with this net find it suitable for wade fishing? William, I have often thought that it could work stuck into a wading belt. I am a short guy, 5'7" and I really wish I could hold one of these nets to see how it would "fit" me.

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
I love the benefits of a longer handle even when stream wading. As the gent pointed out, you do not have to point your rod way backwards,,,you can actually move the tip 'into' your net zone with a longer handle. I just stick mine in my belt behind my back,,handle downward, kinda like an Indian would wear his tomahawk. Works for me.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Dean, recommend the mid-length handle....and a locking retractor.
All I do is wade fish, and hate battling bushes.
The Nomad fits me fine, at 5'9 and a scraggly 165.
Several friends just stuff them in the belt. I want to keep mine......

I do not/never lift a fish!
Not so worried about breaking my rod.......can get another....
Just hate fish getting away.
Small hooks in a large mouth, and pointed straight up is a recipe for bad stats.
Low angle pull loses fewer fish......of course I run with them too......

Jim

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
I picked up one of the larger steelhead nets today and it's heavier than my Brodin of the same length and basket - both ghost nets - that's for sure. Nice net. But it's not super light.

craigthor

Reaction score
Got my mid length from the brown Santa today, really glad I waited for them to get more in stock since I took advantage of a Feather Craft special.