Favorite DRy Fly

larrysmith9865

Reaction score
With Spring just around the corner, I bet everyone is itching to get the dry fly box out. So whats your farvorite and best working fly?

We use parachute adams and royal wuffs. They seem to work the best in Wyoming waters.

shorthaul

Reaction score
i was tying dries with an extended bodies with deer hair on a short hook with dun colored hen wings trimed to a mayfly profile and 2 counterwound hackles with the bottom sector cut out for a flush float---i was tying them to match the hatch down to about size 14--they worked great for hendricksons and march browns

jayraider

Reaction score
My favorite would have to be stimulators & renegades! I am biting at the bits to head to New Mexico rivers. I recently started tying and i can not wait to try my flies out!

Kai

Reaction score
My favorite fly has a very long name ("Wilcox's J.C. Special Pheasant Tail")
It is big and ugly, not delicate and elegant, and I can't really see that it matches any hatch I know of. But, aesthetics aside, it really works well.
I originally bought these as strike indicators for when I was fishing a dropper nymph rig. I began getting so many hits on the "indicator" that I began fishing these stand-alone dry flies.
I used to tie on a parachute adams as my go-to dry fly. This "ugly bug" as I calll it has now become my favorite.
As an added bonus, the big high-vis parachute on these things means that I can see the fly better on the water.

Bruce

Reaction score
“What is your favorite dry fly”? Wow! What a tough question. I guess whatever is on the water at the time would be my favorite. A size 10 March Brown or a size 24 Trico or any size Caddis or Mayfly that the trout are rising for. In the summer time it might be a cricket or a hopper or an ant. I guess I really don’t have a ‘favorite dry fly'. But, dry fly fishing sure is my favorite way to fish.

philthy

Reaction score
Guess my favorites would be parachute adams and para bwo - both in sizes 20-24. A close second is the old standby elk hair caddis. None of these are too terribly hard to tie (well, the 24s are a little tedious!), and they catch fish.

Phil

Davo

Reaction score
Thats kind of a tough question. In general the hot fly changes here each season. Last year it was a para PMD with an extended body. But if I had to choose an over all productive fly for this area it would be a yellow Stimi.

FlyRichardFly

Reaction score
Joe's Hopper was my best producer. But that was before I got my new vise.

If I could tie like "philthy" then I would use the small stuff, but for now I like a big Drake!

A couple years ago, a guy tied on a huge popper and the trout went nuts with it! I'll never forget that. When I use a white dry, I can see it from 50' away.

Also a BWO, store bought 14, is a trout magnet in central PA. Soon I'll be tying my own BWO!

Longrods forever,
Rick

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
I haven't fly fished long but so far I would say the parachute adams. caught lots of fish on it.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

I have to say a Stimulator. Have caught more big fish on a Stimulator than any other dry fly. Usually has a nymph or emerger as a dropper.

Frank

Kaufmann's Stimulator

fyshstykr

Reaction score
I would also go with a Yellow Stimulator, catches lot's of fysh, and with good hackle it floats like a cork.

Davo

Reaction score
Hattrick

I'm a fly fishing guide in Jackson Hole. My guiding is here in Jackson on the Snake, as well as down south on the New Fork and Green Rivers. When we have enough guides with the same day off we like to venture out of the area. Usually over to the South Fork.

How about yourself?

Joe D

Reaction score
My absolute favorite dry fly is always the one I have on when a fish eats it.:)

FlyGal

Reaction score
parachute adams & BWO....Next Caddis, elk hair and simulators. I've had some good luck with the ...chernobyl ants :icon_razz

Greenwood

Reaction score
Favorite? ...or my most reliable .... not necessarily the same thing, but once the air temp hits about 50 to 55 degrees, ants start crawling around. And, they inevitably start falling in the water. I've fished foam ants from April (here in PA) through November. Fish are used to seeing them all the time and they really like them. When I take someone out fishing for the first time, and if the conditions are acceptable, I'll almost always start them on an indicator ant or beetle. They learn how do drift a dry and they can use the same principal with a strike indicator if we end up fishing nymphs. I've also tied up a cool,: sparsely hackled wet ant, this winter, that I can't WAIT to try this spring.

It's supposed to get decent out today so I'm finally going fishing. Bye!:frogdance

FISHN50

Reaction score
Favorite? ...or my most reliable .... not necessarily the same thing, but once the air temp hits about 50 to 55 degrees, ants start crawling around. And, they inevitably start falling in the water. I've fished foam ants from April (here in PA) through November. Fish are used to seeing them all the time and they really like them. When I take someone out fishing for the first time, and if the conditions are acceptable, I'll almost always start them on an indicator ant or beetle. They learn how do drift a dry and they can use the same principal with a strike indicator if we end up fishing nymphs. I've also tied up a cool,: sparsely hackled wet ant, this winter, that I can't WAIT to try this spring.
Amen to the ants. If trout are looking up an ant or an Adams are my goto's