Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  120
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Anyone not use tippet? fly right to leader

Wow, this thread really caught me off guard. I am amazed at how many fly fishers do not use tippet….
    I am hoping that some of you that have only previously used a standard leader and tied the fly directly to it to try adding tippet this coming season. The web offers much info on knots. Attaching tippet to a leader is an easy knot to learn. Above and beyond your leader lasting longer (saving money and keeping extra mono out of our waters), your presentation will be enhanced. Yes, when I first began fly fishing, I too started out by tying the fly to the leader…. Once I was informed of tippet and the benefits, I never again tied directly to a leader. Unless, maybe when I was chucking huge bass flys. Using the appropriate tippet for the fly you are throwing makes a substancial difference in the how fly is presented. If your chasing bass, maybe not a big deal. If you are chasing finicky tout, all the difference in the world. What do you have to loose, $5.00 on a spool of tippet and maybe 10 minutes learning a new knot. Give it a go this coming season, you will be surprised.
    If you do not like knots, try tippet rings as mentioned. Much easier.

2. Likes fly_guy12955, N/A liked this post

I'll take your "used" 8' leaders for free! You don't have to throw all that mono away.

Seriously, you fish 60 days a year and don't want to tie a knot?

4. Likes fly_guy12955, rocketbomb, bigjim5589, N/A liked this post

Holy bajeebers! 60 leaders a year!!!!!!!!!!!????????????? I haven't used 60 leaders in the last 15 years! I don't think Ive used 100 in the last 30. Well, I guess youre boosting the economy of tapered leaders
    Hand crafted wood fly boxes.

6. Likes bigjim5589, N/A liked this post

Sounds too fake. No one waste money like that,,do they ? That is going out of the way to make life harder.
    I find my meal by finding my meal's meal.

8. Likes miamimikepa liked this post

I started out by not using tippet, the leaders had a nice long gradual change in diameter and I tied flies directly onto it. Until I went fishing with some dry-flies it made a huge difference, and seeing a size 20 or 18 ant land perfectly and not disturb any water or spook the trout and actually catching them on a dry-fly was an amazing feeling. There was no way I could do this without tippet material as it often got too thick to even get it through the hook eye itself. There is a large benefit to using tippet, the only thing I do not like is the fact that there is another knot and usually knots are weak points as its not a 100% as strong as a continuous one

Quote Originally Posted by miamimikepa View Post
    Fred,

I've been considering trying out the tippet rings. What size do you suggest for 6x & 5X tapered leaders? When you put the leader on do you cut off the tippet section to add the ring or do you wait till you use it up? About how far down do you put the ring? Final question, do you think the rings affect the cast?
    Fred doesn't know what anything under 1X looks like,
    Hand crafted wood fly boxes.

11. Likes bigjim5589, N/A liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by fly_guy12955
    No one waste money like that,,do they ? .
    Two words for ya... Abel nippers

Quote Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
    Two words for ya... Abel nippers

bwahahahahahahahaaa

In heavily fished tailwaters, floro is a MUST!

Price some floro tapered leaders sometime- you won't want to go through 60 per year, guaranteed!

Mono tapered leader, short chunk o' floro tippet, top fly. The knot makes a handy brake for the split shot, too.

CAB

15. Likes N/A liked this post
  16. Default Re: Anyone not use tippet? fly right to leader

Send me half of those 60 leaders a year and we'll both agree to tie some tippet on once in a while. Sounds like a fair deal, no?

17. Likes fly_guy12955, bigjim5589 liked this post
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast