I know its expensive as leaders shrink with each knot

But this is what ive been doing

9ft leader tie the fly directly to it

Get about a days use then it goes down to 8ft

Been catching real good with this method

Anyone else do this ?

M

mridenour

It is fine to do that but why not get more use out of your leader by adding tippet?

el sabroso

Reaction score
Thnx dont use tippet cuz its another knot & pain in my butt

Basically i get tons of leaders for my birthday & x mas all my family hooks me up

So much more convenient but yeah not cost effective

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
It is fine to do that but why not get more use out of your leader by adding tippet?
Plus, as your leader shrinks on a tapered leader you end up with some pretty stout leader material to tie your fly to. It's important to learn how to maximize your leaders through a season as well as to use smaller tippets in order to attach small flies and not have them bob in the surface like they are attached to a 2x4. Leader management and tippet use are all important and integral parts of the sport and used to achieve a higher rate of success, those who consistently catch fish know how to do this.

Back when I used tapered or knotted leaders that I bought in shops I would always buy those terminating in 3X or 4X and then I would always attach a piece of tippet in 4X or 5X. When my fishing finally resulted in that attached piece of tippet being too small below the knot I would clip it off and tie on another piece - lather-rinse-repeat...:D I could usually make a quality tapered leader last a season doing this, so it was not too expensive at all.

Go in to your local fly shop and have them teach you the finer points of leader management and the use of tippets and you will find yourselves catching even more fish. Good luck!

Kelly.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I think many folks misunderstand or are confused by the terminology when it comes to tippets & leaders. Every fly "leader" has a "tippet", which is simply the end that attaches to the fly. Tapered leaders have one end diameter larger than the other which would be the butt end. Straight leaders being simply a straight section of line, would still have a butt end & a tippet end. However that would only be determined after the leader is attached to the fly line. The tippet end is always the end that you tie your fly to.

If you're buying ready made leaders, whether they be knotless or knotted, there's usually a section about 15" to 18" on most that's included that would be considered the "tippet". That's not to say you have to add any additional "tippet material" in order to tie your fly to it. You could if you so choose, or if you need a longer leader.

I make most of my own now, but used to just buy the knotless tapered leaders, and tied direct to the small end which is the tippet end. As that end gets cut back by changing flies I would add about 18" of tippet. The only real issue with not adding more material you might encounter would be when using small size hooks, as the leader material may be too big in diameter to fit thru the hook eye. Otherwise, do what works for you. There are other considerations too for adding more material, such as drag or to get the fly further away from the line as line slap on the water can be a problem with some types of fishing. If you're attempting to fish with tiny dry flies & only have a 3' section of your leader left, then that might be a good reason to add something longer & smaller diameter. If you're casting streamers or bug bass bugs, that 3' may be perfectly fine. This is why leaders & tippets are made & sold in many length & diameter configurations.

For some fishing I do with sinking lines & big flies I'm using a straight section of 20 lb test mono of about 2' to 5' long, which is basically what you're doing after you've cut back the smaller end of your leader.

So to answer your question, yes, sometimes I do! ;)

M

mridenour

Thnx dont use tippet cuz its another knot & pain in my butt

Basically i get tons of leaders for my birthday & x mas all my family hooks me up

So much more convenient but yeah not cost effective
It is a really simple knot and only takes a little bit of time to do. Learn to tie it. This gives you the added benefit of having the ability to go lighter with your tippet if you think you have some finicky fish or decide to fish smaller flies or whatever.

It is your money but I hate to see that kind of waste.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
The last 2 or so feet of a 9' tapered leader are the level tippet section. More often than not I will tie flies directly to the leader until I think I've used up the tippet section, then I tie new tippet material back on. Over the course of a few days I usually find I've cut off some of the taper, and then I have to rebuild it with a length or two of stouter tippet material before tying on the final tippet section.

Or if I'm impatient and have some spare leaders taking up room in my vest, I may not bother with all those knots, and I'll just start over again with a new leader. I don't fish enough days in a year for it to cut deeply into my budget. You can buy a lot of new leaders for the price of one round of golf or ski ticket.

runningfish

Reaction score
Tippet is very important and making that "extra" knot is faster than changing your leader and spending time straighten it up every time you change it.

Make a loop at the end of your leader and do the same when you cut your tippet. You can make a non slip loop in ±20 seconds or get a tippet ring. Then connect the tippet and leader with loop to loop and voila back to fishing and save the length of your leader. Plus braking a snag is much easier with the tippet material.

If I had to cut my Orvis Mirage leader materials every time I change my flies, I'd be looking for a fortune 500 CEO job to support my fishing.

Last edited:

el sabroso

Reaction score
Thnx all

Basically i use 1 leader per day

Usually fish about 60 days

So i go through 60 leaders a year

They usually sell in packs of 3 so i get 20 packs each year

Get alot of freebies off the web too

Just so covenient

Tippet is a pain to keep adding on to a leadef through a surgeon knot that shortens the leader anyway

So why not just tie my flies to my tapered leader? Im good at tying & dont shorten my leader too much each time i change

itchmesir

Reaction score
Tie a tippet ring to the end of your leader... How tough is it to tie a cinch knot... 60 leaders a year is redunkulous

stl_geoff

Reaction score
I build my own leader/tippet end of fly line deals and have been for a while now. Doesn't stop me from catching the snot out of fish.

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I guess that works if you are going home when you break a foot or two off.

Tying a simple surgeons knot rather than quit fishing or having to tie on a knew tapered leader seems easier I guess. Maybe you use loop to loop and buy or receive already looped leaders? Which really is not a knot, but it is fast and easy.

If you can tie a fly on you can tie three surgeons knot in the time it takes to tie on one fly...and it's easier.

Easier yet would be just use a spool of leader...roll off your length and tie it on...no need to open and unravel a tapered leader, which can be a bit troublesome as well.

M

mridenour

So do you throw your fly line away if it gets dirty and just put on new?

kayo

Reaction score
On Dries only when my tappered leader gets to short. On Nymphs I use straight leader without tippet.

T

turbineblade

I've seen the "Do you use tippet?" question before and it's really a misunderstanding of terms. Everyone presumable ties their fly onto a piece of clear line and not the end of the fly line...:eek:

The question really is "Do you use purpose-made, tippet material?"

Do whatever you want -- I surgeons knot "tippet" onto my leader (tapered or whatever I happen to be using) but sometimes it's actual tippet material, sometimes is just maxima "spinning" line or whatever. Tippet rings work too.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Tippet is very important and making that "extra" knot is faster than changing your leader and spending time straighten it up every time you change it.

Make a loop at the end of your leader and do the same when you cut tippet you can that non slip loop in ±20 seconds or get a tippet ring. Then connect the tippet and leader with loop to loop and voila back to fishing and save the length of your leader. Plus braking a snag is much easier with the tippet material.
Another vote for tippet rings. Come in 2mm and 3mm and these are the same things built into the end of furled leaders. From the ring on is your 'tippet' material. Need to change the tippet? Just cut off at the ring and put on a new section.

miamimikepa

Reaction score
Fred,

I've been considering trying out the tippet rings. What size do you suggest for 6x & 5X tapered leaders? When you put the leader on do you cut off the tippet section to add the ring or do you wait till you use it up? About how far down do you put the ring? Final question, do you think the rings affect the cast?