Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  83
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Furled leaders - pros & cons. any1 use them?

Once I tried furled leaders, it's all I've used. Got mine from Joni and they last forever.

I did attend a presentation last year at a local Orvis shop that was given by a trout guide. He was the only person that I've ever heard mention a dislike of furled leaders. He claims furled leaders spray droplets of water and thereby spook trout. Don't know if this is specific to any particular furled leader design, but it hasn't been a problem for me. I've caught carp using ruled leaders and they spook easier than anything else I've fished for.

No more tapered mono for me. Furled with a tippet ring is the way to go.

I really enjoy furled leaders... I much prefer mono leaders over the uni thread though... Only downside is those mono ones can create a rats nest of epic proportions of you need to break off... That's the only con I've got... Otherwise it's all positives

3. Default Re: Furled leaders - pros & cons. any1 use them?

Everyone is mentioning Orvis Furled leaders. Do they offer them or BRAIDED. There is a difference and YES braided will spray water all over. Furled no.
    Braided are hollow and therefore trap water.

Didn't even know Orvis offered a furled leader... I'm a fan of wonderfurl leaders and F-C furled leaders...

I mis-identified the Orvis as "furled" instead of "braided",didnt know there was a difference.I do know the Orvis is a mono or some such material and doesnt absorb water so it stays afloat better.Never noticed any problem with fish spooking spray.I tried to order from Orvis' web site and as told they dont have them and would not be getting any more.I did find them at the NYC store and bought up a bunch.I have a couple from Cutthroat,and they are fine,just need to grease them often.

6. Default Re: Furled leaders - pros & cons. any1 use them?

Quote Originally Posted by stokes View Post
    I mis-identified the Orvis as "furled" instead of "braided",didnt know there was a difference.I do know the Orvis is a mono or some such material and doesnt absorb water so it stays afloat better.Never noticed any problem with fish spooking spray.I tried to order from Orvis' web site and as told they dont have them and would not be getting any more.I did find them at the NYC store and bought up a bunch.I have a couple from Cutthroat,and they are fine,just need to grease them often.
    I would be happy to send you one of mine to try, But I do Mucilin it up before each trip. Usually good for the whole trip.

Quote Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
    Didn't even know Orvis offered a furled leader... I'm a fan of wonderfurl leaders and F-C furled leaders...
    Orvis doesn't sell furled leaders. They sell BRAIDED leaders. BIG DIFFERENCE.
    And to dakotakid, $10 says the guide at the Orvis shop doesn't know the difference between furled or braided or twisted leaders.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

8. Likes dakotakid liked this post

Can't imaging trout fishing ,,or any fly fishing,,without them.

Mike
    I find my meal by finding my meal's meal.

I'll stick with tapered leaders,smooth,drift easy, DO not collect all the moss and whatever floats downstream.

Well this thread makes me happy. I ordered a 3 pack from Cutthroat the other day just to see if I'd like them. Haven't had a chance to use them yet, but after seeing all these testimonies, I have no reason to doubt I will!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes comeonavs liked this post
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast