Will textured fly line hurt your guides?

bigtone1411

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I tried out an Orvis textured fly line on my Far and Fine today and I really like the way it casts on this rod. I have heard some claim that these lines can wear out your guides quicker. Is there any truth to this? I would hate to hurt one of my favorite rods. Just curious if somebody has a definitive answer to this. Thanks.

Tony

itchmesir

Reaction score
There's people here who swear up and down textured lines don't hurt your guides... Now that I have a camera with good macro it's time for me to show them how wrong they are.... I don't know about Orvis but I know SA SS will do this to your guides...

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
My theory is that it's not so much the line itself that causes the wear. Instead, I believe that the additional dirt that textured lines tend to hold on to is what causes the additional wear.

Just a theory based on absolutely no scientific data.

bigtone1411

Reaction score
Itchmesir,

Over what time frame of using the Sharkskin do think that happened. Months or years. I'm also curious to hear Joni chime in. I've heard her swear by the Sharkskin and I know she fishes a lot. Also, I'm curious if the textured is any better than the Sharkskin. I know SA makes the Orvis textured for them. It looks like SA is doing away with Sharkskin. I wonder if this is why?

itchmesir

Reaction score
It's over the course of no more than 2 years... And it's not like this is my only rod... 3wt rod with SS ultimate trout wf3f... Though it is the only rod that uses ss... I'd have never bought any but at $25 it was a steal of a deal

williamhj

Reaction score
Something to keep in mind: guides can be replaced. If you love the way the line casts on the rod, just give Orvis a call and ask how much they charge to replace the guides, or check with a local rod builder. Matching thread would be the toughest part. Depending on the frequency and price it could be worth it.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Haven't heard of guide damage with any textured line other than Sharkskin. Sharkskin is the most abrasive -- you can feel it with your fingers. It feels like fine sandpaper.

itchmesir

Reaction score
Something to keep in mind: guides can be replaced. If you love the way the line casts on the rod, just give Orvis a call and ask how much they charge to replace the guides, or check with a local rod builder. Matching thread would be the toughest part. Depending on the frequency and price it could be worth it.
Don't think Orvis will replace my redington's guides

bigtone1411

Reaction score
Itch, I believe Orvis will replace your guides. For a fee of course. There is a guy that runs there rod repair shop named Jim West. He is a great guy.

chased

Reaction score
Some say yes, some say no. The jury is still out on the debate if it is the texture of the line or dirt that gets stuck in them. I know that textured lines like Shark Skin hurt my fingers and ears after a long days use.

-Chase

bigtone1411

Reaction score
They run a for profit rod repair shop in Manchester. They do all kinds of custom work and rod repair. Orvis always gets a bad rep for selling dog beds and ladies clothing, but they are the real deal. Like I said, they will do anything you want to your rod but they will charge you and make a profit from it.

siege

Reaction score
I bought a used reel from a guy here on the forum, and it has wear like that, grooved right into the aluminum of the frame. I had wondered how that might have happened. Could be dirty or textured line......???

chased

Reaction score
Dirty lines can certainly wear a groove into a reel. If it was a vintage reel, I would bet it was a silk line that did the damage.

itchmesir

Reaction score
I have an old JW Young Condex that shows some good wear from a silk line

@bigtone... Rod is covered by lifetime warranty... I'll continue to fish it until the guides wear completely out or it breaks... No need to pay another shop to fix it ;)

williamhj

Reaction score
opps, assumed it was an orvis rod. Either way the point stands. Whether or not Reddington replaces guides on their rods anyone who runs a rod building business ought to be able to do it. If the guides are in the same spots etc it shouldn't impact how the rod casts. Could have the person match the color or take the opportunity to personalize it.

swidaho

Reaction score
With the rods I have seen in my rod builders shop having guides redone, I think I'll stay away from the textured line. Maybe it is I'm cheap, why tear up guides and then have to pay to rebuild a rod.

williamhj

Reaction score
With the rods I have seen in my rod builders shop having guides redone, I think I'll stay away from the textured line. Maybe it is I'm cheap, why tear up guides and then have to pay to rebuild a rod.
As he said in the original post, he really likes how it casts on the rod. He just has to figure out if that is worth possibly paying to replace guides. Wouldn't be my first choice but if a line was really great on a rod, who knows.

Brewmaster

Reaction score
I have had the SA Textured on a very well-used 4wt rod for about 3 years. Took the time to go look at it tonight and I cannot see any guide wear at all - perhaps it is the SA-SS only?

I agree with Chase - The SA-SS noise bothers my ears and after a long day also hurts my fingers. The SA-Textured is much easier on both ears and fingers!