Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  49
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First flyfishing trip. Lessons Learned.

1. Default Re: First flyfishing trip. Lessons Learned.

Great post. As a novice fly fisherman myself, it's great to hear about the lessons being learned from your perspective. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: First flyfishing trip. Lessons Learned.

I really enjoyed this read, as I'm a bit of a rookie too, and can totally relate.

Had me smiling all the way.

About getting hooked in the lip........ it could have been an eye..... just a reminder to always wear glasses.

Joe

3. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    mridenour Guest

This thread reminds me of something I learned last summer on my first drift boat trip.

Do NOT assume that huge pull on your line is a snag. Giving a big jerk on the line to snap the fly off as you move into faster water may be followed by a giant brown trout's head coming out of the water and laughing at you for a second before leaving you disgusted and hurt under a hot Wyoming sun.

5. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
    This thread reminds me of something I learned last summer on my first drift boat trip.

Do NOT assume that huge pull on your line is a snag. Giving a big jerk on the line to snap the fly off as you move into faster water may be followed by a giant brown trout's head coming out of the water and laughing at you for a second before leaving you disgusted and hurt under a hot Wyoming sun.
    Mike: I remember that big Brown coming up top like it happened yesterday! If it helps the pain any, I have had too many encounters just like that myself, and it always hurts when the big fish wins!

Larry
    Larry

7. Likes N/A liked this post
    mridenour Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    Mike: I remember that big Brown coming up top like it happened yesterday! If it helps the pain any, I have had too many encounters just like that myself, and it always hurts when the big fish wins!

Larry
    At least I got to see that big head on that Leroy! I had a couple on last fall that never came up before they managed to get off and they were heavy!

9. Likes mcnerney liked this post

What a great first trip report. I just hope my first trip is as successful, minus the lip part of course
    "Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

"There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

sometimes just like part of my signature says...the fish REALLY do laugh at you...but good experiences that lead to great memories
    Some Times when The Water Is Quiet....You Can Almost Hear The Fish Laughing At You!

“I go to the river wholly secure in the knowledge that I do not have all of the answers."
    "I am equally hopeful that I will never be able to figure it all out”.

No Man Ever Steps In The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same man

12. Default Re: First flyfishing trip. Lessons Learned.

That was a great post. I will second the net. A long net in particular. Around 36 or 42 inches so it doubles as a walking / wading stick.

Great post !! So real it took me back to the day.

Welcome to the finatic club. First time out and hooked for life - not just once but thrice.

Never forget sunglasses and clear safety glasses if you may wind up fishing into the night - which most finatics do if the fish are out.
    http://www.miterclamp.com/Images/N_Amer_FF.jpg Cheers, Jim

Default First flyfishing trip. Lessons Learned.

Just a great post... Thanks for sharing! And welcome to the club!!

You have a great ability to recognize the good and the bad. Don't ever loose that. It will make you a better fisherman and have more fun too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Todd

Good things come to those who wade...

And YES... the answer is always, "It depends".

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast