First flyfishing trip. Lessons Learned.

lurker66

Reaction score
My first trip was a success. Fished Lower Illinois near Gore Ok. Caught 18+ stocker rainbows. Missed what seemed like 100. Started fishing about 9am, quit about 530pm.

Heres what I learned; first I shoulda had wool socks. I brought them but surely the water wont be that cold. WRONG. I couldnt feel my feet after the first hour, 13 hours later theyre still cold. On a positive note my new Simms wadeing boots and Dry plus waist waders performed great. Both are comfortable and kept me dry.

I dont know why they are called wind knots, they should call them "Lurker" tangles, because wind had nothing to do with it.. What a mess. I need a straightener or something to undo the memory. Replaced tippit several times and Leader twice.

Sz18 midge hooks are very sharp. After hooking 2 fingers, I smashed the barb...then promptly hooked myself in the lip. How you ask?

Trout are not bass or catfish, do NOT try to cross theyre eyes when setting the hook. You might imbed a hook in your lip. Powerful hooksets lead to wind knots or Lurker tangles.

Keep an eye on your indicator; I watched mine pop up 20 times. Also keep your line straight as it drifts.

Dont horse your fish, your line will break and you will lose your last olive midge.

Bring more than a couple of olive midges, also bring more black n white and red n white. Oh and bring more olive scuds. Or learn how to set hook and avoid wind knots....which lead to break offs.

Also bring a net. It has to make releasing fish easier.

Bring a waterproof camara, after takeing 2 pics with my cell phone, I decided its not worth the risk. Plus its hard enough to just release them without trying to make them hold still for a crappy cell phone picture.

Oh, almost forgot, catching trout on a 3wt is more fun than catching them on a 5wt. I caught about an equal amount on both my rods....I love my 3wt.

Yes, today I learned alot. I had a great time, met some nice folks, and caught a bunch of trout. Cant wait for my next trip.

Mnflyfish

Reaction score
if you are stting the hook so hard the fly is flying back at you, you are setting way to hard. a firm set and a tight line will usually do the trick

wind knots are generally caused by a tailing loop, wich is caused by too much wrist action in your cast. less wrist, more elbow. I get wind knots occasionaly, and it mostly happens when my cast gets sloppy. practice lawn casting, it really does help.

a net is a important tool when fishing, places less stress on the fish increasing its chances of survival when released. make sure you wet your hands before handling the fish so you dont rub off the protective 'slime'. when possible i keep the fish in the water while in the net during release.

I only use barbless hooks simply because it makes the release easier and better for the fish.

'horsing' a fish will result in broken tippet. i like to let them run and tire themselves out if I can, then bring them in.

Sounds like you had a great day on the water, and earned some valuable tips to make the next trip even more enjoyable. x2 on the wool socks, nothing worse than numb feet and trying to navigate in the water.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds like a great day on the water, congrats! Trust me, we all have learned to same lessons, in my case more than once. :D

Larry

jcw355

Reaction score
Where did you fish? They sure didnt follow the schedule which was good if you were an early bird. Sounds like you had a good day, right now there's a lot of fish in the river. Get yourself a rubber basket fishing net, they're other nets that are cheaper but rubber is easier on the fish. Your wind knots are from casting technique. Most of the time just lifting your pole is enough to set the hook, sure you have to be quick at times but you'll get the feel for it. I'll pm you some water links later. Im hoping maybe later in the week I can go.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Love it, the old wind knot. I have gotten "wind knots" sitting in my easy chair cleaning my gear at it chaps my fanny.My brother in law used to laugh at me and say I would have a better chance if my line were actually in the water with the fish.

It is weird as time goes on and you get better they will go away. You will actually get to a point where in mid cast you will go "ah ha" that's a bad cast. You stop and undo one little "wind loop".

My theory is a wind knot is a bunch of little wind loops all cinched up nice and snug by a fly fisherman who didn't realize he made the bad cast that started the ball rolling. Once you have your first tangle repeated casting compounds and tightens the mess up. Trust my I know this from experience. I still take 8 leaders fishing with me "just in case".

Loved reading this I was laughing hard because in some way shape or form we've all been there and done that. Especially your crack about the olive midge. True story, fishing with my buddy and he is catching and I am not. I ask whatcha using, olive midge he says. Hmmm pooop I didnt have any. He stops and looks through his box and says "oh man I have one more". I walk up to him and as he is handing it to me he slipped a little and dropped it in the river. Now down to one, and on his next fish he broke off. And now you know the story of why I carry minimum 12 of any pattern/size in my box.

This was a great Sunday morning read, thanks for sharing.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Lurker66, wonderful post! Sounds like a good day to me. At least you caught some trout, and learned some valuable lessons. IMO, it's the lessons we learn that make a fishing trip, even when we have little or no success with the fish.

Unfortunately, far too many folks, particularly those new to the sport or least experienced don't always see the value in such lessons if they fail to catch fish.

This was a great Sunday morning read, thanks for sharing.
Very much agree, fun read too & hopefully will help others as they progress!

You did good! ;)

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
Good report. All good lessons.

One tip: as you learned the hard way, tiny hooks don't need much set. They pierce very deeply, so you can get by with a lot less force. Very good to remember with dry flies.

J

james w 3 3

What a great post! Made me smile widely over my morning coffee!

eddie789

Reaction score
Great to hear you made it out! I'm stuck in snow right now! The part about the hook made me chuckle!
Its always good to learn from your mistakes. Helps with the learning curve later on. I too am new to this and its been getting better and better as time progresses.

siege

Reaction score
Nice report. It seems to me that when we realize a mistake, it makes us want to go back and try to get past it. Fly fishing can be more addictive than a favorite video game. No matter how experienced you get , you are always trying to get to the next level. :)

lurker66

Reaction score
Nice report. It seems to me that when we realize a mistake, it makes us want to go back and try to get past it. Fly fishing can be more addictive than a favorite video game. No matter how experienced you get , you are always trying to get to the next level. :)
Boy this is so true. I wanna "do over" so bad. I cant wait to get back out there. If the roads weren't icey I'd make the drive today.

I also am fighting the urge to buy a net, camara, furled leaders, more wool socks, neoprene gloves, more flys esp. Olive midges and scuds, creel, sunflower seeds, and another fly rod......I am going nuts lol.

Mnflyfish

Reaction score
Boy this is so true. I wanna "do over" so bad. I cant wait to get back out there. If the roads weren't icey I'd make the drive today.

I also am fighting the urge to buy a net, camara, furled leaders, more wool socks, neoprene gloves, more flys esp. Olive midges and scuds, creel, sunflower seeds, and another fly rod......I am going nuts lol.
and so another addict is born.....:welcomean to the frenzy! I too went thru the same thing after my first couple outings. ive calmed down a bit.......;)

Brewmaster

Reaction score

Lurker - great post - laughed out loud at your hook/hooked comments (brought back some memories from many years ago). You caught fish, had a blast and learned a lot - sounds like the definition of a successful trip

My take on your "urge to buy" comments:
net - yes, definitely
camera - when you can afford a good waterproof one, until then it is a luxury
furled leaders - yes
wool socks - YES, recommend Marino wool if possible (try Cabelas deluxe cold weather hunting socks or deluxe cold weather wading socks)
neoprene gloves - yes, but you will use them less than you think (see Simms)
more flys - ALWAYS!! definitely the olive midges!
new rod - with a 3wt & 5wt you can fish most trout waters, it can wait a bit
wind knots - you might want to buy a couple of the Rocky Mountain T-PIKs (cost about $2.75 each, you can get them on ebay or at "t4products") they helped me undo a lot of wind knots until I got better at casting

Final comment - welcome to flyfishing; you will be addicted for the rest of your life! :D

okbow68

Reaction score
We were there Friday, Saturday, and this morning. They did not follow the schedule Saturday that's for sure. We had a great time everybody caught fish. I am now calling this the polar vortex lower illinois river trip after waking up to 15 degrees this morning. We were in shirt sleeves fishing Saturday.

flycaster1977

Reaction score
Congrats. I had to laugh a little too. Ive been exactly where you are. Keep at it and things will get easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
I wanna "do over" so bad. I cant wait to get back out there. If the roads weren't icey I'd make the drive today. I also am fighting the urge to buy a net, camara, furled leaders, more wool socks, neoprene gloves, more flys esp. Olive midges and scuds, creel, sunflower seeds, and another fly rod......I am going nuts lol.
Yep. A clear case. Definite addiction.

There's no known cure, but that's ok. We don't want one.

coloradowalt

Reaction score
Great story. My biggest lesson to date is one I have to continue to remind myself >>> It will take less time if you take the time to do it. I have to remind myself this whenever the fish are rising and refusing my offering. I get into a rush to change the fly and invariably lose a fly or two into the water. Or when I am trying to fix a wind knot, or when...... You get the idea.