Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Can anyone name this Mayfly

I snapped this pic on the Beaverkill River in mid May last year. If I remember correctly it was mid morning. There were a few March Browns coming off and a lot of caddis but this guy was kinda strange looking. I figure he's a spinner of some sort because of the clear wings but I don't know what he is. He was big, probably a size 10 or 12. Any ideas?

Click on the pic for a full size view:

2. Default Re: Can anyone name this Mayfly

With the veins in the wings it looks like a Pale Evening Dun from the Heptageniidae family "Heptagenia" Those eyes however...WOW!

Maybe even a Drake "Ephemera"

Default Re: Can anyone name this Mayfly

Not that I'm deeply scientific when it comes to the bugz... but it looks like a typical Brown Drake from around here, except for the eyes... yikes!
    ... But a lifelong journey.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
    go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford

4. Default Re: Can anyone name this Mayfly

Quote Originally Posted by GRN View Post
    Not that I'm deeply scientific when it comes to the bugz... but it looks like a typical Brown Drake from around here, except for the eyes... yikes!

That is why I add that last line. The more i looked that is where I was going.
    MARTY FELDMAN BUG!

The pics I was able to google of March Brown spinners look pretty similar (except for those eyes) with that banding on the legs and that little leading edge of brown on the wings. It seems a little too dark also. But the March Browns were hatching....

Not that it's that important, I was just curious. It landed on my pack as I was rigging up at the truck next to Cairn's Pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Joni View Post
    That is why I add that last line. The more i looked that is where I was going.
    MARTY FELDMAN BUG!
    Or a Drake on some really good stuff....
    ... But a lifelong journey.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
    go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford

I'd suggest looking into the Dun family of Mayflies. The thing that is makeing it hard to ID this bug is the short abdomin and the stripe legs. The larger eyes are common with the Duns. If you really would like to know or get a better idea of what it actually is I know a college professor who deals with aquatic inverts and conducts a lab that deals ID'n such things. (I use to work in it)
    Or you can go to this sight and try and find a better match

Order Ephemeroptera - Mayflies - BugGuide.Net

Though theres a lot of pages to go through
    <*))))>< Fish with teeth ... If I ty it a fish will hit it

Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout is pretty good for pictures of such things provided you have a guess or two to get started. Here's the picture matching my first guess (March brown):

http://www.troutnut.com/im_regspec/p...942_medium.jpg

I go to that site a lot and saw those same pics. That's a nice site. March Brown was my guess too. Those pics show a dun and I think this is the spinner. I think he was one of the lucky ones that escaped the fish from the day before.

Brown Drake.
    Living large in the Southwest.