Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Western Portal Sequoia National Forest / Kern River.

Thumbs up Fishwest’s Satellite Shop - Sacramento California.

Kudos for a job well done to NAFFF advertiser on their new Fishwest Sacramento ( formerly Kiene’s ) location. The new fly shop at 2752 Marconi, is just a couple of hundred yards up the road from the old one, which mixes the best of the original staff with a sleek new shop layout. Peggy and I made the pilgrimage down state to Sacramento on Sunday. That's right, if the only time you can make it to the shop is on a Sunday afternoon, they'll be open. Walking into the new shop I was taken by their large inventory of fly rods, seemingly suspended in space without support…trick!
    Better still, their rod selection included a group of rods that don't show up often in a typical fly shops inventory mix. Nicely played guys, now she's got her next 9' for 7 whittled down to two choices.
    That theme seems to be carried on throughout the store, where they have all the standard brands and models we expect to find in a modern day fly shop, but they’ve also endeavored to keep abreast of all the "other" brands that aren't always well represented in the typically homogenized fly shop format of today.

The old shop was very nice, but the new shop at least for us was just easier to find things in. It's an expansive space, open, airy, classy and relaxed. The way the store and entry is laid out, the moment you walk through the doors, you can see exactly where the things you’re after are located. Which is a formula that helps, if like me, your spouse is as much of gear junkie as you are. Often with separate agendas and shopping lists, we might not run into to each other again after entering a store, until we hit the register area with hands full of new gear and gadgets. Something I really appreciate is a store that not only carries a wide range of inventory but one that has depth in its inventory too. That and their crew doesn’t condescend to women anglers with the old " You fish little lady ? " attitude. At an athletic, svelte 5’ 10”, Peggy has won both fly casting and fishing competitions, worn out her share of Vibrams on the PCT and confidently rowed some of the hairiest whitewater in the west. So while she’ll play along for a while, she made her bones long ago & neither she nor I have much patience for that " it's a male sport " attitude, that is from time to time, offered up by some less than enlightened outdoor product and service providers. ( pardon the mini rant )
    That easygoing acceptance for all was the way it was at the old the shop and I'm happy to say it's alive and well at Fishwest, Sacramento.

We hit their doors with a specific goal, to purchase two pairs of a not so common brand and style of wading boot and because we already have a couple of pairs of these boots, we knew the sizes we were after. One simple question later, the exact size and style of boots we were trying to track down were placed at the foot of their very comfortable changing area. Even though we'd brought along our under boot garments, they offered us a wide variety of wading socks and neoprene stocking foots that would fit anyone’s foot size and wading garment configuration.
    I can’t tell you how many times I've gone into a fly shop and either they don't have the boot, waders, etc. I'm looking for, or they do, but they’ve got size breaks in the their inventory and don’t have my size in stock.

There might be something to this fly shop network business model of Fishwest that pays dividends for the fly fishing consumer, in so much as depth of inventory is involved and the availability of hard to find products that are otherwise out of stock, seemingly nationwide.
    For more on the merger read this: Fishwest, Inc. merges with Grizzly Hackle Holdings, LLC | American Fly Fishing Trade Association
    Or: Mega Retailer Grows Again: Fishwest, Inc. to merge with Grizzly Hackle Holdings, LLC | Angling Trade

Needless to say, I was pretty jazzed when they had no problem coming up with the exact boots we were both after. Of course, once we latched on to our new boots, we perused the rest of the shop for a few more things and found a couple of gems that we couldn’t leave without. That and chewing the fat with the crew about fishing Pyramid Lake. NV. made for an enjoyable visit.

If you find yourself in Sacramento California stop by and see Andy and the gang at Fishwest Sacramento, they're easy going good people and know their stuff.

Besides, Fishwest helps in paying the bills around our little playground here at NAFFF.

Thanks guys, we’ll be back. Dave

2. Likes fyshstykr liked this post

Default Re: Fishwest’s Satellite Shop - Sacramento California.

I was actually going to stop by Keines yesterday, but the wife had other plans. I will have to stop by this coming weekend to pick up my new goodies! Thanks for the info, I am really excited to check them out now.

Thanks for the heads up!

Cheers,
    Craig
    "Never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Great place been there many times.great selection of gear, and a very imformitive fourm.

Great to hear....I love and appreciate a good shop.

My only gripes about shops in general....they open to late and close to early! There are a few exceptions.

I want to be on the trailhead at first light. Not waiting for the shop to open at 8.

james w 3 3 Guest

Inventory Inventory Inventory
    What's the three most important things I look for in a fly shop?
    Yep, that's why I'm in Kiene's (the local guys will probably call it that forever) often.
    The "lounge" area is sort of cool too!

Blog Entries

This group also purchased Bob Marriott's in Fullerton, CA about a year ago. milt
    "Thomas Jeff..." Senator Reisman (Sam Shepard) Swordfish

I was off of work Tuesday and Wednesday due to an injury I sustained doing the dishes...dont ask!

I stopped in and purchased 2 reels for some rods I am building, Super great store and I love the wooden fixtures and hang out corner. I will definitely be going back there, the customer service was great. WAY better than Fly Fishing Specialties off of 80, those guys are not very helpful!