Little Fish, Big Smile

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
Little fish, big Smile.....
So our day on the water started slow. High winds, no bugs and the threat of rain put a damper on the morning fishing. It may sound strange, but I believe that much in fishing is about confidence. Do you believe in the fly you are throwing, is that a good run, etc. This morning, nothing felt right. We bumped around a few times from hole to new hole as none of them felt good.
As my buddy and I take a moment to discuss the lack of fish rising, we spot a small rise tight to a rock wall. In the foreground there was a downed limb in the water and overhanging brush behind the rising fish. I moved downstream to position myself to make the cast. First cast, a little short, second cast was good, but the current wrapped my tippet around the limb.
"splash", another small rise.
We knew this fish was not big, but it was a fish. This was the most technical casting of the day so far. Not only did I have small slot to drop the fly into, I had to keep clear of tree limb and overhanging brush. I make another cast, both myself and my buddy yell out in unison, this is it..... Bang, fish on. We both celebrated that little fish as if it was a 30" trophy. High fives and all. My face says it all. I was lucky enough to land many fish this trip, but that little 4" fish was by far the most difficult to get.

Its not always about landing BIG fish... But I will admit big fish are fun....

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Mike: You bet, sometimes the work involved in landing that one fish you see rising makes the day worthwhile, congrats!

Larry

L

Liphookedau

As you say big Fish are more Fun however Little Fish are always Fun to catch as well also a couple of months ago I hooked a Fish & I said to one of my Fishing Mates "I've a good Fish on here" & when I finally saw it,it was a Rainbow of about 14-16 Long it never jumped or gave any indication of it's size however it really had some Horsepower even on my 6Wt Rod.
Brian

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Good job, and if size mattered my wife would have divorced me years ago.............I always catch small fish :icon_wink

B.E.F.

hunter1

Reaction score
The first trout i ever cought was smaller than that, I hooked it by accident. But after 3 hrs of beating the water, it felt better than any shark i hooked at the ocean.:grin:

siege

Reaction score
The bigger the challenge, the greater the reward ! Looking forward to seeing you again tomorrow in Idaho Falls at the Expo !