Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. Default Catch And Release Or Catch And...?

    Hey guys,

    I'm new to this forum but certainly now new to the world of fishing. Have been a fisherman since I was 15 years old.

    And I was just wondering if you guys release the fish you catch or what?

    I know there's an issue of fish becoming depleted and many anglers are now employing the practice of catch and release fishing.

    Personally I always release them and I'm also very careful not to hurt the fish too much and damage their internal organs.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,848
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Catch And Release Or Catch And...?

    I am mostly catch and release. I have not killed a fish in the past three years.

    There are a few times that I will keep fish. Lakes and streams that are regularly stocked are fair game. The fish that were put in were meant to be taken. Some high country Brook Trout lakes are filled to their capacities. Taking a fish won't hurt the ecosystem. Whenever I make a trip to some Margaritaville, the taking of a Dorado (Mahi Mahi) doesn't effect the ecosystem. Plus they make for some great fish tacos.

    As a rule, I release all wild trout with the exception to some high alpine Brookies.

    MP

  3. #3

    Default Re: Catch And Release Or Catch And...?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
    I am mostly catch and release. I have not killed a fish in the past three years.

    There are a few times that I will keep fish. Lakes and streams that are regularly stocked are fair game. The fish that were put in were meant to be taken. Some high country Brook Trout lakes are filled to their capacities. Taking a fish won't hurt the ecosystem. Whenever I make a trip to some Margaritaville, the taking of a Dorado (Mahi Mahi) doesn't effect the ecosystem. Plus they make for some great fish tacos.

    As a rule, I release all wild trout with the exception to some high alpine Brookies.

    MP
    that might be right

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rosthern, SK
    Posts
    277

    Default Re: Catch And Release Or Catch And...?

    I pretty much agree with MP... I hav fished for many years as a purely catch and release angler. I used to keep fish that would feed our domestic worker and her family back in South Africa. Since I have moved to Canada I have discovered how good the fish here tastes, especially walleye! I also really enjoy eating trout, and now I am pretty good at filleting a pike so I have begun to eat more fish. I live by a simple rule, "keep only what you can eat fresh." As for trout I realease all trout in the larger lakes and if I want to eat trout then I go and catch the fish in my personal dugout which I have stocked. There is a predominant mentality here amongst many people that you HAVE to keep what you catch and if you won't eat it, some body will. It's something I deal with a lot as people give me strange looks and think that I am mad when I come back from fishing with a ton of photos and nothing for the freezer. Being able to enjoy the fish we catch at the table is another element that makes this sport so great, but as with everything it must be done responsibly. My wife particularly enjoys it when I come home with fresh fish and cook it up for her, and sometimes she even insists I go fishing again!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Catch And Release Or Catch And...?

    For me, a little of both. We enjoy a nice meal of fresh trout, and also keep a few meals in the freezer for the winter months.

    I release many that are hooked in a way the hook can be removed with minimal damage. However, the majority I've caught have the hook deep and I can't get it out without significant damage.

    TW said:

    There is a predominant mentality here amongst many people that you HAVE to keep what you catch and if you won't eat it, some body will.
    I see much of the same where I live and never have agreed with it.

    Jamie

  6. Default Re: Catch And Release Or Catch And...?

    Quote Originally Posted by twfitw View Post
    I pretty much agree with MP... I hav fished for many years as a purely catch and release angler. I used to keep fish that would feed our domestic worker and her family back in South Africa. Since I have moved to Canada I have discovered how good the fish here tastes, especially walleye! I also really enjoy eating trout, and now I am pretty good at filleting a pike so I have begun to eat more fish. I live by a simple rule, "keep only what you can eat fresh." As for trout I realease all trout in the larger lakes and if I want to eat trout then I go and catch the fish in my personal dugout which I have stocked. There is a predominant mentality here amongst many people that you HAVE to keep what you catch and if you won't eat it, some body will. It's something I deal with a lot as people give me strange looks and think that I am mad when I come back from fishing with a ton of photos and nothing for the freezer. Being able to enjoy the fish we catch at the table is another element that makes this sport so great, but as with everything it must be done responsibly. My wife particularly enjoys it when I come home with fresh fish and cook it up for her, and sometimes she even insists I go fishing again!

    Freezer trout/salmon suck!! If you arent going to eat it fresh put it back

  7. #7

    Default Re: Catch And Release Or Catch And...?

    Quote Originally Posted by oregonsteel View Post
    Freezer trout/salmon suck!! >>>SNIP
    I have to respectfully disagree

    No, a frozen trout can't compare to a fresh one (and the same goes for any fish or meat), a meal of nice 8" Brookies in January or February can taste pretty darn good.

    Jamie

  8. Default Re: Catch And Release Or Catch And...?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamieof View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree

    No, a frozen trout can't compare to a fresh one (and the same goes for any fish or meat), a meal of nice 8" Brookies in January or February can taste pretty darn good.

    Jamie

    Well if trout that have been in the freezer are tasty for you, good for you, more choices.

    I know ALOT of people who end up throwing trout from the freezer away tho

  9. #9

    Default Re: Catch And Release Or Catch And...?

    Quote Originally Posted by oregonsteel View Post
    SNIP<<<
    I know ALOT of people who end up throwing trout from the freezer away tho
    As do I. They stick 'em in a plastic bag and toss 'em in the freezer in July or August, and then come January or February, they're so freezer burnt they aren't fit.

    However, freeze them in water, and it's the next best thing to fresh. Try it.

    Jamie.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    327

    Default Re: Catch And Release Or Catch And...?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamieof View Post
    I release many that are hooked in a way the hook can be removed with minimal damage. However, the majority I've caught have the hook deep and I can't get it out without significant damage.

    Jamie
    Jamie,

    I am curious....More than 99% of all trout I catch are hooked in the upper or lower jaw. This year I have had only 2 trout that were hooked too deep to easily release. If the "majority" of the trout you are catching are hooked so deep you cannot release them without significant damage; what are you fishing with? What type of fishing, what hook, and what fly/lure? Thanks,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Catch and release or catch and eat?
    By Eric Cioe in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-11-2009, 07:17 PM
  2. Catch and Release HELP
    By Dotsonnt in forum Coldwater Fly Fishing
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-03-2009, 06:27 PM
  3. Catch And Release
    By mikeo in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-04-2008, 04:14 PM
  4. Catch and Release?
    By larrysmith9865 in forum The Lodge Den
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-23-2008, 11:07 PM
  5. Age old question : catch/release or catch/keep ?
    By tie one on in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-13-2006, 09:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •