Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
    Port Washington, WI (fish areas around grafton and plymouth)

Default Fly Line Question

I recently had done a little damage to my fly line. I was stripping the line and it wrapped around my reel and it stopped some of the floating material off of the line. I wanted to know if I could still using that line without really having issues or should I just buy another fly line?

Default Re: Fly Line Question

Myself, I'd get a new line.

Sent from my iPhone

If it is not cut to the core, you can repair it.

If the line is cut, you can glue the two pieces together. If some material has been removed but there is still quite a bit left, you can remold the material around the core using shrink tubing and a heat gun. Use a long section of heat shrink tube to protect the undamaged portion of the line from the what gun.

Instructions below:

Repairing Fly Line Coatings | MidCurrent
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

4. Likes siege liked this post

I had a needle fish or snapper blue nick one of my favorite 8wt floaters last summer. I went to strip line off this spring and the front 10 or 12 feet fell off!! It must have been my very last cast with the line. I have no idea what line it is or where I got it. It was in a drawer and I decided to try it on my crosscurrent and really liked it.

I dug up some clear shrink tube of proper size and loop to looped it with a single piece of shrink tube. Not sure if it will hold up but I've never had a shrink tubed loop in the end of a fly line fail. It still casts great, just looks a little ghetto. But hey, if you're that close to my stuff to see it, you're either trying to buy it or steal it and it ain't for sale. Comes through the guides about the same as a switch tip line. I do admit to being a redneck. Duct tape and vice grips and we'll fix anything. When it gets warmer (a tropical line) and I use it I'll let y'all know if any fish complain about it.

6. Likes siege liked this post
    Port Washington, WI (fish areas around grafton and plymouth)

I think I'll also buy a new fly line. I don't have the other piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk