The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 06-27-2014, 01:47 PM

fq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud of
Default Casting flies on a spinning rod. Help please.

I am going off to Yellowstone. I am taking my cousin who has Downs syndrome. He loves to fish, and is a great athlete, he,s won medals swimming in the special olympics. But fly fishing is a bit beyond him. So I guess I will be the opposite of Rick who is throwing bait on a flyrod and ask how you throw flies on a spinning rod. I know folks do this and the reason I ask is that there are areas of the park that are fly only. You can use a spinning rod, but not a jig or mepps spinner. Also no gulp, so Rick and I are screwed. Any help would be welcome.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes N/A, Liphookedau liked this post
Old 06-27-2014, 01:50 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Casting flies on a spinning rod. Help please.

You can use casting bubbles. They look like clear bobbers you fill with water until they cast properly. As a disclaimer, I researched this for my dad to use, but never actually tried them.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 5 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes GrtLksMarlin, tyler185, N/A, ts47, fredaevans liked this post
Old 06-27-2014, 02:01 PM

wjl is a splendid one to beholdwjl is a splendid one to beholdwjl is a splendid one to beholdwjl is a splendid one to beholdwjl is a splendid one to beholdwjl is a splendid one to beholdwjl is a splendid one to behold

Could always use a streamer, some out weight of my spinning lures.
Also what would be wrong using a set up like a pan fish set up just use nymph or San wan worms? Bobber weight fly.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes N/A liked this post
Old 06-27-2014, 02:11 PM

rocketbomb is a jewel in the roughrocketbomb is a jewel in the roughrocketbomb is a jewel in the rough

Bubble bobber rigs can work great. A couple friends and myself have used them to great effect on mountain lakes and streams. If the flies aren't working, you can switch right over to lures. You can partly fill them with water, which makes it possible to cast them downright ridiculous distances, which is great on stillwater lakes with no backcasting room.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:22 PM

diamond rush is a splendid one to beholddiamond rush is a splendid one to beholddiamond rush is a splendid one to beholddiamond rush is a splendid one to beholddiamond rush is a splendid one to beholddiamond rush is a splendid one to beholddiamond rush is a splendid one to beholddiamond rush is a splendid one to behold

One time during a prolific caddisfly hatch, I came across a pair of rednecks who were camped out on the stream for Turkey hunting season. They had spinning setups and weren't catching anything due to the the hatch. They went to the local hardware store and bought a handful of caddis patterns. Then they tied the flies on a couple feet down from a large red and white bobber. They both caught several trout this way. Goofy looking setup, but it worked.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:34 PM

fq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post
One time during a prolific caddisfly hatch, I came across a pair of rednecks who were camped out on the stream for Turkey hunting season. They had spinning setups and weren't catching anything due to the the hatch. They went to the local hardware store and bought a handful of caddis patterns. Then they tied the flies on a couple feet down from a large red and white bobber. They both caught several trout this way. Goofy looking setup, but it worked.
That was me and Rick.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes N/A, jimp, siege, repperson29 liked this post
Old 06-27-2014, 02:51 PM

planettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant future

I got all my kids started in fly fishing with the "fly and bubble method"...

Spin Fishing Using The Fly And Bubble Method - Fishing My Way

Click the image to open in full size.

We still do it, from time to time, 'cause it is just plain fun and we catch a ton of Trout, on stocked lakes...I use partridge and herl - #12 - #18, peacock and herl- #12 - #18 and Seal Buggers #6 - #10...works on rivers too - once one gets the technique down...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 06-27-2014, 03:33 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
I am going off to Yellowstone. I am taking my cousin who has Downs syndrome. He loves to fish, and is a great athlete, he,s won medals swimming in the special olympics. But fly fishing is a bit beyond him. So I guess I will be the opposite of Rick who is throwing bait on a flyrod and ask how you throw flies on a spinning rod. I know folks do this and the reason I ask is that there are areas of the park that are fly only. You can use a spinning rod, but not a jig or mepps spinner. Also no gulp, so Rick and I are screwed. Any help would be welcome.
Download the Yellowstone fishing regulations here:

http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisi.../14FishReg.pdf

You can use spinning lures to fish Yellowstone Lake. The rivers are fly fishing only. So take your cousin to Yellowstone Lake. The problem is that the cutthroat trout population is way down and there may not be many Cutts left in the Lake.

The stores in Yellowstone Park sell flies and lures that work. A wooly worm with a red tag works. Use a casting bubble and put the fly about 3 feet behind the bubble.

An orange spoon with black spots works as does a Super Duper type lure or a Jakes Lil-Jake Lure brass color with orange spots.

Li'l Jake Purchase Page - Jake's Lures

Click the image to open in full size.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 06-27-2014, 03:49 PM

runningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud of

I've done it twice with ultra light and light spinning with pencil bobbers.
I didn't catch anything but it was fun.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:56 PM

quijibo has a spectacular aura aboutquijibo has a spectacular aura aboutquijibo has a spectacular aura about

Before I could cast a fly rod, I used those orange and black bobbers. essentially as strike indicators. caught a bunch of rock bass with that dragging woolly buggers and leeches through some currents in southern ontario. first time I waded a river with my dad, and had a blast.... aside from pulling leeches off my legs after getting back to camp.

I would have been about 10 years old or so.