Fly Prices to Rise

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Silver: Davy is probably correct considering the world economy, makes me thankful that I tie my own, but like he said, even the material prices are creeping upward.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Well, it happens eventually. Look back at history. Japan used to produce products cheap. Now they're in the same situation that we are & can't afford to produce a lot of their own products. It's even happening in Korea & China to some extent. One of the "problems" with success & earning more. The more we get, the more we want.

Some of the countries in Africa still have cheap labor, but to much instability & unrest in many of them to risk investing. I remember exchanging emails with a fellow in Kenya back when I was tying commercially who indicated the government helped him get his tying business started to promote their economy. A lot of flies used to be tied in Kenya. Unfortunately, they don't have a lot of good resources as far as tying materials go, so everything has to be imported. Not sure what the situation there is now, but I'm sure there's a good reason fly companies moved operations to Thailand.

It's a cycle, no one works for low wages forever, not even in third world countries. Not a good sign for fly buyers, but perhaps good for the people in those countries who are now getting more for their time.

Same argument here about raising minimum wages. Sure, everyone wants to earn more, but in the end we all pay more for the products & services we get, because the more that's paid in wages, the higher prices need to be to make a profit. It's like a poker game, no one really wins in all of this, just the stakes get higher.

Sounds good to me, perhaps I'll go back to tying commercially when I retire! :lol2:

waterfordcreek

Reaction score
Meh,

I have rod/reel combo's that with line exceed $!200. I just cant stress the cost of flies.

3 beans for a fly....Im ok with it. Even $5.

I Tie most of my flies except for a chosen few. Those are always tied locally....

oldnewguy

Reaction score
Well, one benefit being a newbe is, I totally went overboard buying flies this year. When I look at how many I've used and lost this year, I'll still be in flies up to my arse 5 years from now. :D

(Guess how many forever stamps I bought last year before the price hike?.....I might run out of flies before stamps. :) )

Well, I guess I made a good investment for a change.

Tight lines,

Joe

rickf

Reaction score
After you purchase a good vice and a bunch of tying stuff ....... it will probably last you a lifetime!

I have so many flies, I'm sick of looking at them! LOL

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
I tie most of mine and the ones I don't tend to be when on trips. When I buy flies, it's normally because I never have any use for the patterns on my home waters but are good for a particular place I'm visiting.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Guess I'm still on the 'lucky side of things.' Major sporting goods store here In Medford has dozens and dozens of different patterns (95% for trout). .99 each! Some of the really large patterns will run $1.25.

Tied my own for years but now its cheaper (at those figures) to just buy a few and be done with it. Good thing is its rare for me to actually loose a fly; happens but one a day would be about the worst of it.

skrap

Reaction score
After you purchase a good vice and a bunch of tying stuff ....... it will probably last you a lifetime!

I have so many flies, I'm sick of looking at them! LOL
Whatever ones your sick of looking at feel free to send my way.;)

lv2nymph

Reaction score
I saw online somewhere that trout flies were $3.00 + a piece. That got my attention just because I've been tying for almost 30 yrs. and don't really pay any attention to the price of flies. But it's like everything else it just costs more. I can remember people saying " if cigarettes ever cost more than a dollar a pack I'm quitting" that was when they went up to .50 cents from .45 cents. No matter how you feel about it there's nothing you can do but just deal with it...

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
If nothing else this gives vindication to my long history of doing everything in my power to avoid losing flies. Even when I was trout fishing the creeks of Pennsylvania every day I lost very few flies in a season. Sound impossible? Sound like BS? Just concentrate on what you're doing and you too can join the "I've had that fly for years" club. I was just fishing with a forum member and he had a real good day catching trout on a used fly that has been around for its third season. I caught all of mine on a Sculpin which has caught way more fish than I could guess. The secret is to treat the flies as if you really want to keep them.

Of course over the years there were many flies that eventually were torn apart by fish but I lost few to the bottom and few to the trees. If you fish streamers find the sweet spot where you're catching fish but not snagging every cast to the bottom. If you're fishing weighted nymphs and catching the bottom all day, fish a dry or drift an un-weighted nymph and eliminate the stress factor. If you're casting a dry take time to study the backdrop behind you before you just start reeling out casts and the trees will not get those precious flies.

I've always known this wasn't a good way to save money. I've known plenty of guys who didn't fly fish and who saved money religiously but I always seemed to be happier than them so................ Don't let Chicken Little rain on your parade, stock up on flies or materials and act like they were expensive when you fish :) If you can get away with stepping up the leader strength a bit then do it. You'll lose fewer flies and land fish quicker, the quicker you get it done the more you can catch anyway. If you're swinging streamers, never go under 10 pound test and remember you're looking for the big ones.

The only other option is to begin investing in the hook and hackle companies and then live off the dividends :shades:

repperson29

Reaction score
I share Ard's view as I'm sure most do, I'm not made of money so I'm very conscientious of what my surroundings are when I'm about to cast, even on my brush choked streams I have yet to leave one in the bushes, I mainly roll cast for this reason.

Ryan

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

I saw online somewhere that trout flies were $3.00 + a piece. That got my attention just because I've been tying for almost 30 yrs. and don't really pay any attention to the price of flies. But it's like everything else it just costs more. I can remember people saying " if cigarettes ever cost more than a dollar a pack I'm quitting" that was when they went up to .50 cents from .45 cents. No matter how you feel about it there's nothing you can do but just deal with it...

One of the reasons I loved being deployed, 10$ for a carton of smokes or 2$ for a log of chew ( I unfortunately did both at the same time, literally) after I got out of the military I stopped both, way too expensive :)

Ryan