Fast, medium or slow action best for roll casting?

plland

Reaction score
I was wondering what everybody's thoughts are on what kind of rod they think is best for roll casting?

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
I have yet to get roll casting down. seems to always end up in a pile. I am gonna practice this alot this year.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Plland,

I think it comes down to personnal preference as it does with regular casting, my choice is a medium fast action.

GRN

Reaction score
I prefer med/fast for 4-7 wt, and more medium tapers below that. Med/fast rods with a good progressive flex are the most versatile rods overall IMO. For roll casting and one handed spey they give you the strength to initiate movement with great control, and still flex deep to give you a big load.

Although length is a factor, I believe most folks make to much of it. A med or med/fast rod lined correctly in skilled hands will yield good results if the rod is 6'6", or 9'6". I have a 6'6" 3wt, lined with 2/3 Delta taper that I get 40'+ out of no problem... IMO mending is still the biggest limitation of the shorter rods, not casting.

TL's~

Joe D

Reaction score
Don't fret the rod... the line is more important in roll casting. DT or a long belly will give you easier and prettier casts.

dgd

Reaction score
I have yet to get roll casting down. seems to always end up in a pile. I am gonna practice this alot this year.
Hey George, did you ever watch Tim Allen's "tool time" on television? "More power!" does not go well with fly casting. To get a tight loop, you need a tight stroke, just a little bit past the top of your head (no further than your ear) and then stop. For you, with your rods try 15 or 20 degrees behind and 15 -20 degrees in front.

Your front cast is probably stopping at like a 30 degree arc

Curtis

Reaction score
Definately slower action. I have fished glass rods that bend to the cork that could roll cast my sister into the middle of the lake.

And for those who want to practice roll casting in your yard, put a brick or something heavy on the tip of your leader to hold it there and then practice. This simulates the tension of the water.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Curtis has a great tip there with the "brick".

:icon_idea We have other "Tip Threads" for tying and fishing, maybe there could be one for "Casting Tips" in Casting F.A.Q.'s?

Joni

Reaction score
For 5wt and bigger, I like LONG med/fast action because I am fishing heavier nymphs. The idea is to get them to the surface fast, then much easier to roll.
4 wt. I like glass or bamboo, so definitely slow action and a 7' does great. But, there I am not using heavy flies.
A video I got from "The Trout Guys" called "Naked Truth About Nymphs" really puts things in there place. Just like Spey casting, you don't want a NOODLE, you need something with some middle strength as well as in the butt to pull flies from not only UNDER water, but through a current.
I don't find DT an advantage over WF but that is my casting style.