Is it possible to enjoy fly fishing when you catch no fish?

gfirob

Reaction score
No.

At least under these conditions:

Yesterday I went out in the afternoon, hoping to catch some evening activity. Two other fishermen and the fly shop told me that nothing was happening on the river. I was not deterred.

I got to a favorite pool and began the fruitless process. It was hot.

I had worked my way about halfway up the pool when the tubers came. There were three of them, teenagers, and you could hear them coming about a half mile away, so I had all that time to build up my irritation. How these kids can enjoy the process of tubing with their butts hanging in water that is 58 degrees is beyond me, but evidently they do.

I maintained my “the river belongs to everybody” calm as they passed. As they always do, they called out happily “Catching any fish?”

I was reminded of an occasion when I was fly fishing for small mouth bass on the Shenandoah river in Virginia, when two young women came tubing down with a cooler of beer, both of them topless, enjoying the sun. With a big grin, one of them said “Catching any fish?” The river was fairly slow and it took quite a while for them to pass, as it happened.

About 10 minutes later another fisherman (with a spinning rig) was working his way downriver. “G*d d**n!” he said to me. “Did you see them girls?” His expression was shocked, displaying an extraordinary level of outrage and concern, as if he had passed a wrecked tanker truck dumping oil into the river. It was rural Virginia, after all and decorum is important, even on the river.

The Shenandoah at that point is a huge river and anyway, the girls didn’t bother the bass much, but the Gunpowder in Maryland is a fairly small, and these teenagers had put the fish down for a while, so I stopped to have some water and a granola bar and walked up the bank a ways. It was getting hotter. The greenbriers were in their full summer glory along the trail, repeatedly punishing my waders as I made my way upstream. I had a hard time finding a way back down the bank to the river.

When I finally did, there was mist rising on the water and it was getting hard to see the surface. Eventually, gradually, as evening got closer, I found myself on a long stretch of flats and the fish began to come up all around me. It was then that the deer flies appeared, competing for my attention with the mosquitos.

The mist was making it hard to see even the line on the water, and for all the rises, no fish was interested in what I was offering them. There were wind knots, tree snags, and underwater snags from courageous casts into a tangle of fallen trees. But at least it was clear that there were fish in the river and that was an improvement.

I was finally able to kill one of the deer flies which had kept landing on my casting hand (no small feat when you think about it) when I heard the echoing voices of men in a canoe coming down river. It was a blaze orange plastic job and the two of them were having a great time. It was a straight stretch of river so I could watch them coming for a long time, as the solace of my solitude melted away. “Catching any fish?” they asked with a friendly smile as they splashed by.

That was the last I saw of any rising fish for the rest of the evening. The giant orange canoe and the enthusiastic paddling had sent them all to go back to the furthest retreats in the river.

Of course, one of the other unpleasant side effects of not catching any fish, is that it gives you time to really focus and think about how your presentation sucks. I like to tell myself that practice only improves technique, but for sure, a rising level of irritation only diminishes concentration and patience, at least for a sore-head like me.

Eventually I gave up in defeat. I was unable to find the Zen patience with which to let it all roll off and enjoy the river. The only triumph I had was that I did not break my fly rod in two when I got back to the car.

And the thing is, I do this to relax.

wjl

Reaction score
Yes
The same happened to me on Sunday, tubers/recreation people all over. Did it bother me, a little.
I have learned to shrug it off and make conversation, say hi, how's it going, having fun, ect..... It does not pay to get upset because in a few weeks school starts, high school sports and other actives take these people away from the river and it is back to normal.
Besides my dog loves barking and howling at them, entertainment at its best.
Patience grasshopper :)'

mtaag3

Reaction score
I'm a brand new fly fisherman but I feel I can truly opine here as to this point I have not caught a single fish. Needless to say my frustration level is high, especially given the fact that I SEE fish and fish activity.

Now what I have tried to do to myself as I'm going to the stream is to have specific learning lessons. I will try to look for fish and fish structure. I will try and look for places I think fish will be (from what I've read) and finally, I practice my casting. I try to hit floating leaves and other targets. So although I do get frustrated with incessantly not catching fish, I always try to take positive notes away from the trip.

spm

Reaction score
To your original question, yes, I do enjoy fishing even when I don't catch any fish, which happens many times. Probably due to my lack of skill, but that's another thread. I have enjoyed being in the outdoors since I was a kid, so being there is part of the enjoyment. Catching fish is a bonus.

As far as the canoeists and tubers, we certainly have them here in MO, especially on the weekends, and some of them are ignorant of anything other than how much beer they can consume. Regardless, I do try to smile and say hello to them, and then wait until they pass to resume fishing.

The weekdays aren't nearly as crowded and since I am now retired, I can take advantage of that. I understand not everyone can do that, and it can be trying at times.

Having canoed these rivers myself, I know which stretches are most frequented by canoes and try to avoid them. Fortunately, most blue ribbon water is not the most popular stretches to canoe.

Just keep on keeping on.
spm

plecain

Reaction score
It depends.

If I go to a new place that may or may not have fish, then 'yes'. The exploration is fun. The spots I tend to pick are usually pretty, quiet spots.

If I go to a spot I know should be good fishing, and I don't catch any, then I get frustrated. Usually I start to wonder what I'm doing wrong.

Still, a day spent fishing...

oldnewguy

Reaction score
I always enjoy my time on the water......catching or not. I'm still very new to this and I feel like I'm always practicing. If I can improve on my techniques, I'm a happy guy.

Starting out last year, I really only went to the water to learn my casting in different situations. I didn't expect to catch fish because I knew that the stream was fished out by early summer......ergo no other fishermen to share the water. BUT, go figger, the better my technique got, the more fish I caught! :) They were holding in tough spots and once I could get my fly to them they took it. Then I was really happy. The stream I fish isn't big enough for tubers and canoes, so that's never a problem.

I fish to enjoy myself in this sport, which to me, is in developing my skills. Catching fish is my reward for getting it right. I'm all right with just being on the water with all the wildlife, the sounds, color and fresh air.

Tight lines,

Joe

bigjim5589

Reaction score
IMO, there's a difference between "enjoying fly fishing" & catching fish. I certainly like to do both, but can still enjoy the method even when I don't catch anything. I hold no special reverence for fly fishing above other methods, but do enjoy it more than other methods. Probably because I've spent far more time fly fishing than using other methods throughout my life.

To that end, I can spend an entire day fishing & be satisfied when I don't catch anything when I want to be fishing with fly rod in hand. When my primary reason for fishing is catching, I might use other methods. I'll still enjoy it either way.

Back when I was much younger, I often got frustrated with not catching or the situation, such as mentioned about tubers & canoeists. Now, my attitude is that everyone of those other folks are simply trying to do the same as I, enjoy being out there in their own way. Good for them! Life is way too short to be concerned about those things I can't control!

In this area, with it's population density, you can't get away from other people. Too many people, not enough water. Most fishing I do is away in places that seldom see many other people, but that rules out much trout fishing. I'm as happy in the muck & mud of an Eastern Shore marsh as anywhere, and won't see too many folks. Occasionally I'll see a kayaker or folks in canoes & some will be fishing & some won't. That cannot be said of our streams. Access is much easier, so if you fish there, you have to be prepared for the inevitable intrusion from others. If you allow it to bother you, that's your problem, not theirs.

Many years ago I was fishing in Deer Creek near the mouth of the Susquehanna. That day there was several kids in tubes floating down the river. Where I was wading I had them pass both in front & behind me. I don't recall any of them that wasn't apologetic about disrupting my fishing, but fact is I still caught fish. The fish didn't care they were there so I didn't either. Those kids were enjoying what they were doing & I was enjoying what I was doing. Lesson learned.

I made a recent post about fishing the Gunpowder a few weekends ago. I only caught & released one small trout. I had to cover a good deal of water to find it, and that one fish had had several canoes, tubes & kayaks pass by it. Yet it still hit my fly, a tiny Clouser with pink bead chain eyes. Unconventional for the Gunpowder probably, but it's what worked.

Point is, if there are fish to be caught, they can be. Perhaps not in the manner that most would prefer. Another lesson I learned many years back as a younger angler, is that regardless of the situation, some fish can be caught if you can find them. You just have to make more of an effort. If you're not willing to change your thought process, enjoy being there fish or no fish, then you might as well stay home & sulk about not catching them.

I know the BASS type tournament fishing is not popular with many here, but fact is those that make their living fishing tournaments who are willing to accept the conditions & situation they find & adapt to them & adjust their thinking are the ones who are usually the most successful. Those guys & gals often catch fish with a large spectator audience of other boats crowded around them. It's not easy, but they don't let it bother them. They have to adjust their thinking or seldom cash a check & that's their job!

Same can be true of fly fishing, regardless of the species you chase. Let what you can't control bother you & you probably will have little success. ;)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
It's like everything else in life and many of these things are not constant. I've went fishing in Alaska and caught no fish. I've seen everything from tubers to jet boats and floods mess up what I thought would be a banner day............ I guess the way I approach this is that I'm going because I want to go out there regardless of what will happen once I get my boots wet. It's the 'not knowing' that makes this interesting.

I do however have a better time when I catch at least one fish, one is the least you should get for an honest effort but there are days when you would swear there are no fish in that river. When I'm not catching I do a little practice at casting. I'm not talking about frustrating myself by attempting new and amazing distances but to develop an even more relaxed style of fishing. I sit around a bunch and tend to notice things that go by without my seeing them when the fishing is hot.

I don't think a fellow should ever bank too much being dependent on catching a bunch of fish. It can be done and I've even done it myself but generally I go with the honest intent of finding fish. Sometimes I find them but they wont take a fly, sometimes they do. Don't let an off day bother you too much just make the best of this life and take time to semell the roses :)

Ard

silver creek

Reaction score
Putting on my academic hat to answer this on. Philosophically this is an existential question.

Whether you can enjoy fly fishing in the absence of fish caught lies in what your expectations were for this trip.

If your expectation was that you would definitely catch fish, then no. If your expectation was that you would have at least a peaceful and serene outing, then no. If your expectation was that you would at a minimum have solitude, then no. If your expectation was that at least your casting would improve, then no.

You had at least 4 expectations for this outing and all were failures so of course you did not enjoy yourself.

Now if you had expected failure in catching fish, a tube and canoe hatch, biting flies, and lousy casting; you would have had a great time!

Next time expect to have a lousy time, and you will be elated at the result. This is where the pessimist has it all over the optimist. A pessimist is rarely disappointed! :D

ponycarman

Reaction score
Yeah you can enjoy it without catching fish. I am also a very new fly fisherman. I have only been out a handful of times and have been blessed to only have had one catchless day so far. I have had many bad days with other fishing equipment. I am beginning to see that there are multiple reasons I enjoy fishing. I can get away from the craziness of the world and relax. Also get to see some wonderful wildlife and scenery. Even without catching fish I still have a pretty good time. But catching something is just icing on the cake .

Everyone stops and says the same thing around here. Gets kind of annoying sometimes. I have had a few spots ruined by rude people but that will always happen. Can't let it stop you or ruin your time. I have haf more people do this since I started fly fishing. Something about it draws people to it. It is fun and almost magical to watch. Fly fishing on lakes around here isn't very common and not as many people are familiar with it. I guess it makes them curious.

Just get out there and have another go. Don't give up. Enjoy the water, the wildlife, the beauty of the scenery, and have a good time. :)

FrankB2

Reaction score
Well, I'm much more content on those days when I do catch at least one fish. Two years ago, we had an incredible run on smallmouth that lasted from late March to late May. These were honking big smallmouth, and they had an appetite. That same stream produced very little last year, and even less this year. It's a gorgeous stretch of stream, and is located about 2 miles from my home. I enjoy fishing there, if only as an excuse to be in the middle of a fantastic stream.

My wife and I decided that any fish in a storm will do, so if the big fish aren't biting, we tie on a GRHE, and terrorize the sunfish. They're always willing to cooperate, and we use the cumulative number of inches caught to describe the length of our catch: 12 feet of pumpkinseed, etc. :D

rfb700

Reaction score
Southeastern Ontario, Canada (armpit of the trout
I loved the outdoors way before I enjoyed fishing. As a kid and then as a teenager and young adult I liked seeing wildlife of any kind. I liked catching frogs, snakes and turtles and watching kingfishers and ospreys. I also liked to see the spawning runs of suckers and gars(no trout iny local river)
I like being out on a river or stream regardless
If I catch fish it's a bonus. I still catch frogs, snakes and turtles for fun when I fish. I just like being outside on moving water

yikes

Reaction score
A different perspective:
I came to have a greater interest in river / fly fishing later in life. Prior to that I used to do a lot of rafting and tubing. Until recently, I honestly had no clue that rafts, tubes, splashing about, etc. had any effect on the fishing. I certainly did not know that I was spooking fish, or that they would take a while to calm down.
I did not know that fishermen would stalk fish, or that there was a strategy to fishing. I just assumed the fish were wandering around trying to find a random piece of bait.
In that context, the "catch anything?" question is friendly and well-intentioned banter, not a taunt.

Even if I had somehow been made aware that my activity spooked fish, I was sitting low in the water, and it was very difficult to see a fisherman on shore immediately ahead - especially on bends in the river, where you may need to back paddle or turn to stay away from the bank.
I recall floating down the Owens and being surprised several times to find a fisherman hiding amidst the reeds.

I know of very little that a kayaker or tube rider could do differently in that situation, even with good intentions.

larue

Reaction score
If you can't enjoy fly fishing without catching anything, then you may be in for a lifetime of frustration. As aggravating as constant streams of tubers and canoes can be, they have just as much right to be on the river as we do. Any easily accessible stretch of water is going to be frequented by fishermen and recreationalists alike, if you want to avoid this you're going to have to do a fair amount of hiking and exploring.

And sometimes I prefer not even having a bite to losing several large fish, that is where the anger and frustration that disturbs your soul comes from. I've forgotten most encounters with tubers that have ever pissed me off, but there is not one big fish that came unbuttoned that doesn't still haunt me.

busbus

Reaction score
gfirob, I am here to that YES! You really can enjoy fly fishing when you catch noo fish. Sure, it can be annoying whenever others are rude around you but, unless it is intentional, I wouldn't let it ruin your day at all.

Like some others here, I am still a newbie at this fly fishing stuff. I get to go out some but not nearly enough. And I have only been on a trout stream about, oh, seven or eight times. I did not catch a thing on three or four of those days and I spent all day there. I mean at least six hours or so. Didn't even get a bite. I have not been hampered by people in tubes but I have had dogs splash into where I was fishing. That sure messes things up! Neither of those times was it malicious and the owner was apologetic. It really did sort of mess up fishing but, oh well. At least I got to pet a dog!

Truthfully, I don't go out with the intention of catching a fish. If I do, great. If not, oh well, there is always another day. I go fishing for the specific reason of relaxing. Now, one can say your day was anythign but relaxing but maybe it is all in how you viewed it. There are times whenever I am setting things up at a nearby lake where I fish for bluegill when kids come over and ask 1,000 questions: "What kind of set-up is that?" "Is that fly fishing?" "Where to you get your bait?" (haha, I like that one), "Can I watch you?" and many more. And there are kids jumping in the water or throwing rocks or sticks into the water right by me. That is life. I love watching little kids. And I likeit when their dad teaches them how to skip a stone across the water. Then there are the people with dogs who let them drink water right next to me ot jump in after a ball or wahtever. it used to irritate me until I let it not bother me anymore.

Finally, I guess the reason I am out there is so I can get out of the reality that is my world. The reason to go out is to relieve stress, not increase it. You can see me just standing there looking at whatever and not even have my line wet a lot. Ihave always loved nature and, as a kid, spent entire summer mornings and afternons in the woods. I can find anything fascinating. Ever really watch the ants runing around a huge any hill? It is cool. Ever watch a couple birds build their nest? Awesome. How about watching the sun come up or go down across the water. Beautiful.

Now, if a couple young ladies came foating by in the manner you encoutered them, well, that would be another reason to enjoy being right where you are at that particular time.

And I have been following Ard's advice of practicing casting whenever the fish are not biting. The more I cast, the more I realize it is the act of casting that I think is the best thing about fly fishing, not actually catching fish.

ray

lthrnk03

Reaction score
Simple answer is yes! Catching fish is wonderful, it makes the time on the water that much more enjoyable. For me.... fishing is just as much about getting away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. It's also about enjoying the outdoors....crickets chirping, frogs croaking, song birds singing, the majesty of egrets and herons.... I could go on and on. I DO love the tug on the end of the line though. The tug is the drug!

M

mridenour

I'm learning to enjoy fishing even if things go awry. A couple weeks ago I was fishing a small clear stream and a herd of tubers came down along. They floated right down the chute I was fishing. They all apologized but by the time they were all through (about 8 of them) I was fuming. I was certain they had ruined my evening. I walked upstream quite a ways and started fishing again. I set my rig up to fish deep and caught another dozen fish between there and the truck.

I honestly believe that these fish only retreat for a short time as the floaters go by. It happens all the time and the fish don't get lockjaw and starve to death. Next time I will be a little more relaxed when they come tromping through my honey hole.

left field

Reaction score
I have a better time when I don't catch fish than when I catch too many fish.

The former gives me a reason to to stay or come back. The later sends me home early.

lthrnk03

Reaction score
Next time I will be a little more relaxed when they come tromping through my honey hole.
Excellent outlook! I was out 2 nights ago at a community pond and was getting highly annoyed at the volume of teeny-boppers who where invading on my tranquillity.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD