Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High end ultra light rod

Default High end ultra light rod

I've got a CT 2wt which is a joy to fish. The components are not that great and are beginning to really be noticeable. I have started thinking about a higher end 2wt. Has anyone fished the new H2 2wt's or even the Circa from Sage? I have cast the new glass rods from Orvis and were nice. I found the 4wt closer to my 2wt, graphite to glass.

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You donít have to eat the ball to have a good time.
    ~ Anonymous

Default Re: High end ultra light rod

Funny, I'm looking for a low end UL to entertain the bluegills. If any one wants to chime in on cheap as well as high end stuff it would be an interesting contrast.

PS
    JA if you want to unload that CT PM me!

i've had a chance to cast Helios2 7'6" 3wt,
    it was actually amazing how much line you can get out with that little 3 wt.

I have the CT in 7'6" 2 wt. It's a really fun rod.

My favorite in that size range, though, is the Sage ZXL 8' 2 wt. I'd recommend that rod highly if you can find one.
    Today is always the first day of the rest of your life.
    Use it wisely.

Paul

I was interested in that H2 6'6" 2wt, I really don't have the opportunity around here to test it, I'm just afraid it might be a little to fast. I've got a 7'6" superfine touch 1wt that I really like, a Scott 6'6" F2 3wt that I really like, and a 8'8" NRX 3wt that is fantastic on the river. I would really like to try one Sage's TXL-F's.
    Tim

Blog Entries

I have the Circa 389-4 and absolutely love it. I also have the TXL-F 1710-4. If I were in your spot I would opt for the TXL-f , just my humble opinion as I've had a medium action 1wt before and hated it. The 1wt is so light that a rod with no backbone is a horrible combination. The TXL OR TXLF both have unbelievable feel but yet enough backbone that a 5mph breeze doesn't ruin the whole day.

Just my $.02 as someone who tries to fish UL stuff all the time.
    "The fish you're gonna find up here, you're gonna find; Rainbow,Cuttbow,CuttBrowns,Brownbows,RainBrowns,
    CuttyRainbrowns, Pike ,Perch"

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
    I have the Circa 389-4 and absolutely love it. I also have the TXL-F 1710-4. If I were in your spot I would opt for the TXL-f , just my humble opinion as I've had a medium action 1wt before and hated it. The 1wt is so light that a rod with no backbone is a horrible combination. The TXL OR TXLF both have unbelievable feel but yet enough backbone that a 5mph breeze doesn't ruin the whole day.

Just my $.02 as someone who tries to fish UL stuff all the time.
    I have to agree with you here Brian, a TXL or TXL-F are great choices. I can't say that I've had experience with a Medium action 1wt, but I think what you're saying makes perfect sense.

In any event, what drew me to the TXL was that it is a thin diameter rod with incredible feel. The TXL seems a touch faster to me than the TXL-F. The best way I can describe the 470-3 TXL that I own is: It has the power of a 4, but the feel of a 3 and really fun to fish on small streams.

My 389 is an SLT, one of my favorite lines that Sage produced.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

8. Likes comeonavs liked this post

Thanks for the info, looks like I need to take a look at Sage a little more. I've never fished a rod shorter than 7'6 so I'm not sure how the 6' would do. I'm also trying to decide between a 2 or 3.

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You donít have to eat the ball to have a good time.
    ~ Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by bear 007 View Post
    I've got a 7'6" superfine touch 1wt that I really like,
    bear,

I had one also, but I sold it? I don't even know why? My Helios is nowhere as good for those little bluegills.

I had the original Superfine with the ring handle. That 7'6" four piece rod was only 1.5 oz! Full Flex is the perfect action for little fish.

Any pond or lake with a UL rod and tiny flies is non-stop action for as long as you wish to fish! It's "Fishing Nirvana"?

You might catch a bass or two with a big rod and a big popper, or maybe a senko, but you could catch 100 small fish in the same time with a UL.

The components are not that great and are beginning to really be noticeable.
    Im curious about this.........what exactly is wrong with the components of the CT again ?
    I find my meal by finding my meal's meal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast