Casting Lessons

axle27

Reaction score
I'm going to take some casting lessons. Thought it would be better than the old trial and error. With the money involved, I think it's better learn it correctly than get frustrated and quit.

Anyway, I was looking at Shendandoah Streamers in Berkeley Springs, WV. Anybody know of them or have used them?

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Axle,

Taking lessons is a great idea. It will cut way down on your learning curve. It is too bad that more shops don't give free casting lessons like Feather-Craft does. Free lessons can create a lot of revenue for a local shop.

Sorry I can't help you with your questions about Shenandoah Streamers.

Frank

FrankB2

Reaction score
Amen Frank!!!
In my non-fishing spare time, I fly R/C aircraft and give flying lessons. I've
been in that hobby for more than 30 years, and have been a member of
many clubs in two states. Nobody charges for flying lessons, and it usually
takes at least 40-70 hours to get someone trained. I had one student that
needed a year of lessons! It does cut onto my flying time, but I made the
decision to become an instructor: R/C flying is expensive enough already
without having to pay for fly lessons, and the Academy of Model Aeronautics
would frown upon such a practice.

I was lucky enough to have a local fly shop manager give me 30 minutes of her time on a few occassions, but she charges when not at the
shop.

shorthaul

Reaction score
Tim Rajeff is rolling through town and i threw my hat in there for a tune up in performance casting in june---I always said that if he came within 50 miles of me that i would take a lesson or two ---there are a couple more openings if anyone in north central ohio is interested

BigCliff

Reaction score
My home shop will do free casting lessons with purchase of a rod. Then again their cheapest option is a Sage Launch. I think that casting lessons should be thrown in with nay rod over $200.

If you're buying a rod, see if they'll throw that in. Most of the better fly rod manufacturers require that list price be charged for the rod, but the "service" the shop throws in is fully up to them.

shorthaul

Reaction score
thats a great idea Cliff!---ill sugest that next time im in my local shop---i got a glance at his closet the other day---theres got to be 60 rods in there!

FrankB2

Reaction score
The shop employees I visit go outside with the customer when testing rods.
I suppose you could ask if you're using the right technique for a rod being tested. Spotting bad habits can be done pretty quickly be an observant eye,
especially when they're looking to sell a rod:wink: .

FlyChick

Reaction score
THis is a great idea. I was lucky to learn from my dad when I was about 6 or 7 years old. Thirty years later I tried it for the first time, and it stuck all those years. There is a lot to be said for ingraining proper technique from the start.

Let us know how you fare at your local shop!

axle27

Reaction score
The only "local" shop to me is Kelly's White Fly Shoppe in Shepherdstown, WV. The other is a bit farther away (Murray's in Edenburg, VA). I'm going to visit Kelly's this weekend. If I didn't go out of town last weekend for family politics (read: wedding), I would have visited both.

I just purchased the Orvis book on fly fishing. I've read alot of books on the subject in the past few months and, although the information in all of them are about the same (removing any personal preferences), the Orvis book is VERY informative.

Jackster

Reaction score
the Orvis book is VERY informative.
That is a fact! It is a book you should never get rid of IMHO. It's darn good reference material that you will use when you're an old-timer at this! Good stuff!

zerolimit

Reaction score
It is my opinion that most shops are very generous in terms of subsidizing beginner lessons recognizing that they will likely receive follow on business that is worth their investment. My experience has been that their knowledge and teaching skills are typically worth far more than they charge (especially when it's free with purchase of a rod). Take advantage of it and shorten your learning curve.

BigCliff

Reaction score
The only "local" shop to me is Kelly's White Fly Shoppe in Shepherdstown, WV. The other is a bit farther away (Murray's in Edenburg, VA). I'm going to visit Kelly's this weekend. If I didn't go out of town last weekend for family politics (read: wedding), I would have visited both.

I just purchased the Orvis book on fly fishing. I've read alot of books on the subject in the past few months and, although the information in all of them are about the same (removing any personal preferences), the Orvis book is VERY informative.
I'm thinking that Murray's may be the one run by Harry Murray, one of THE MASTERS of smallmouth fishing in your area. Its fair to call him a guru, and it would be worth the trip to go pick his brain about spots and techniques. For big names in Fly fishing in the mid-atlantic area, he ranks in the top 5 with guys like Clouser, Popovics, and Lefty Kreh.

(Ok, maybe top ten if you consider Shenk, Humphreys, and Harvey.)

axle27

Reaction score
That would be him. Just looked up his site to be sure. Edinburg is a bit of haul for me, but I think I can break away a Saturday or two. I want to learn and practice for the October trip to the North Fork of the South Brank of the Potomac.

If I can do it early enough, I might try to practice on some sunfish on a buddy's pond.

jackmcmanus21

Reaction score
I've taken casting lessons from a friend of the family who's been fishing for years and it totally changed my mechanics. I recommend the lessons, they're well worth the money. Unfortunately, I cannot help you with your location :(