going to be a cold one this weekend here

luked

Reaction score
looks like winter is finally here. think I'm gonna hit the water this weekend cold or not anyone else gonna be wetting a line this weekend and where ya headed
let's get a thread going with where your going what ya fishing for and how ya gonna catch them
I'll be heading to one of the trout parks here. gonna be going after some stocker rainbows. it's just catch and release season now and I normally struggle pretty bad in the winter so I'll be trying out some small midge patters
so how bout you all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Luke: Best of luck with your fishing trip. No fishing for me here in western Wyoming at the moment, it was minus 24 degrees here last night, despite the forecast of minus 10 and the high is only going to be 10 degrees, that is a little too cold for me to be fishing. Hopefully, this cold wx will start to move off to the east in a few more days......at least wishful thinking!

wyldechylde77

Reaction score
Not going this weekend, but next Wednesday I'm supposed to go up to Burt, NY to fish for Browns, Steelhead, and the remaining Kings and Coho Salmon. That cold snap has headed here to NY, with our daytime temps in the mid-30's. In fact, it's snowing lightly as I write this.

jgentile

Reaction score
I'm going to fish the Current this coming Tuesday. Hoping that the Olives will have arrived. This freeze should finally put an end to the Trico's.

The river is still really, really low and clear so It will be a mixed bag of nymph presentations until the bugs start to show.

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Yeah, you cowboy types are herding that cold mass our way and by the time the blowhard New Yorkers can huff and puff it back your way poor ol'Michigan will be frozen solid.

Last year I lost a 20+ yr. old Cherry and Dogwood due to the harsh, longer than usual winter, and would also say it contributed to the loss of my two dogs....I always loved the change of seasons. Really enjoyed getting out in the snow, hunting and the like. But, the past 2-3 years it has become tougher and tougher, and though I used to scoff at "snow-birds" I'm starting to wonder if they don't have something there.

I say we all barge in on Cochise for the winter and camp out at his place....No more than 4-5 months at the most and have him take us fishing in the Mangroves. I personally don't know him so hope one of you do, besides, once you claim a spot on the couch what is he going to do?

Hope his wife likes to cook.....Wake me for breakfast, my laundry is in the bag. What time is dinner?

B.E.F.

spm

Reaction score
I'm going to fish the Current this coming Tuesday. Hoping that the Olives will have arrived. This freeze should finally put an end to the Trico's.

The river is still really, really low and clear so It will be a mixed bag of nymph presentations until the bugs start to show.
I was there last week. River was low and clear, as you said. Very windy; wore us out. Fish were holding tight.

Good luck and travel safely.
steve

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
It`s been cold here. My son and I have been deer hunting. He got his first deer last weekend and now his season is done. My friends and I will be hunting and it will be below zero with highs in the teens all weekend.

It`s hard enough to deer hunt much less fly fish. I think I need to find a blaze orange parka! :(

This is what we do in Minnesota during winter Ice fishing very soon! This fishing video is funny.
Monster Lake Trout On Clear Ice - YouTube

Is there an embed video button?

Last edited:

luked

Reaction score
Luke: Best of luck with your fishing trip. No fishing for me here in western Wyoming at the moment, it was minus 24 degrees here last night, despite the forecast of minus 10 and the high is only going to be 10 degrees, that is a little too cold for me to be fishing. Hopefully, this cold wx will start to move off to the east in a few more days......at least wishful thinking!

yea larry it's gonna be cold but everyone here will probably be deer hunting and I love fishing in the winter here cause most people don't get out
need some thinking time to myself anyways also so not much of a better way to do that than casting a fly to a nice cold water trout. just wish we had the trout waters like you all got. but I will say I'll take what we got and you all can keep the minus 2; degree temps up there lol

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Is there an embed video button?
Ya'know, you used to be able to with the old Youtube embed codes, and for a while I believe simply the link....Yet I think I'm losing braincells in that I can't make it work now. Maybe an administrator can chime in.

B.E.F.

p.s. Tried ice fishing one time, yet it was a bear casting into that little hole and the mends were brutal. Oddly, the fish still wouldn't rise.

cowger10

Reaction score
No fishing for me either. I will be sitting at the tying bench and getting going on some replacement flies for next season.

lil_ol_angler_me

Reaction score
A bottle of Gentleman Jack, a bucket O' Wings, and the TV remote....

I will tolerate being wet

I will tolerate being cold

I WILL NOT BE WET AND COLD !!!

'NOUGH SAID !!!!!!

it's going down to 60 here!!!!!!!

rockriver

Reaction score
It's cold all over with a few exceptions. We're getting the triple slam; cold, high winds, and snow that doesn't stop here in the middle Northern section of the U.P.

learning2fly

Reaction score
Its been single digits and well below freezing since the cold snap hit. I started working with streamers up until the last nice day. I tied some new patterns along with some articulated streamers and have been itching to use them. I plan on getting out this weekend. Anyone use streamers through winter?

cowger10

Reaction score
Its been single digits and well below freezing since the cold snap hit. I started working with streamers up until the last nice day. I tied some new patterns along with some articulated streamers and have been itching to use them. I plan on getting out this weekend. Anyone use streamers through winter?

I fish streamers all winter long on the tail waters we have around here. A lot of times if nothing is getting a hit I have good luck with steamers.

markfrid

Reaction score
With all due respect to unnamed member: Mr Luked lives 11 1/2 hrs from nearest native trout fishing. He has 3 beautiful spring branch trout parks within 1 hour. Not a difficult decision, eh? That's all I got, except, let's please play nice.

Mark