Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  29
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 8wt set up or New tying vise???

I am having a hard time deciding between adding an 8wt set up to my arsenal, or buying a fairly nice tying vise to start tying. What would you guys do??
    A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. ~Tight Lines Everyone~

2. Default Re: 8wt set up or New tying vise???

What's your total budget? There are some decent vises out there to be had for not a lot of money, heck I've got a no name vise that I bought off the auction site for 14 bucks that has done what I needed.

3. Likes fredaevans liked this post
    beside the AuSable River in northern Michigan

Default Re: 8wt set up or New tying vise???

hey allenvdb,

Knowing the extent of your current group of rods might help, as would the fish species you target most often, to get a better idea on which of the two would prove most useful.

That said, if it was my choice to make, it would be an easy one-- the tying vise. The time I would spend in putting an 8-wt. set-up to good use would be extremely limited, whereas I spend quite a few hours at my tying vise almost every day. But, that's just me...

If there is one caveat to the tying vise, it would be the fact that the purchases don't stop with just a vise. Once you've made your choice, there are a few other "necessary" additions you'll need to make-- tools and materials (hackle, hooks, thread, hair, et al), for starters. Still, there are few things more satisfying than taking a fish on one of your own "hand-tied" flies.

Let us know what you decide... And, Merry Christmas...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

5. Likes eastfly66, fredaevans liked this post

Vises are like reels: you can spend a ton of money to get one that has lots of fancy features, but the basic function of just holding something (whether excess line or a hook) is really very simple. I tied flies for years with a cheap knockoff of a Thomson vise before I invested in a Renzetti, and it did the job perfectly well.

If you are just getting started in tying I would recommend that you get an inexpensive vise for less than 30 bucks, and spend your big money on a new rod that fills a gap in your arsenal. If after some practice you decide you enjoy tying and have the knack for it, you can always upgrade.

7. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

Get a vise, but not if you think you will save money. You can buy flies cheaper than tying your own. However tying is enjoyable and almost therapeutic.

9. Likes hairwing530, fredaevans liked this post

Oh, get the vise, no two ways about it.

And a couple of bobbins. And a bodkin. And some glue. And a UV light with resin. And a tying light with magnifier. And a good tying bench. And some deer hair. And some elk hair. And some rooster necks. And some hen necks. And some Golden Pheasant crests. And a Hungarian partridge skin. And an English Hare's face. And a Jungle Cock cape. And 200 kinds of dubbing material. And 5 different kinds of thread in 50 colors. And 50 books. And some more stuff too numerous to count.

On the other hand, once you get this stuff you will be able to fish all winter in your mind as you tie flies for the next season. And catching a fish on a fly you tied is the best.

Or losing a fish on the fly you tied. Or not catching any fish on the fly you tied....

Get the vise for sure.
    Last edited by gfirob; 12-25-2014 at 12:11 PM.

11. Likes hairwing530, fredaevans, ia_trouter liked this post

which are you gonna use most? do you fish with an 8 wt everytime you go out fishing?

Will tying flies on a new vise provide more bang for the buck?

I say go for the vise, but i'm biased as i rarely fish (1-3 times per year)
    Eunan

Addicted To Vise Flies

13. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

If you want to develop your skills as a fly fisher, then you need to tie your own flies
    People that don't are at a definite disadvantage.

(you'll also need a 8wt someday too )
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

15. Likes hairwing530, lilredflyguy liked this post

It is winter, a perfect time to learn to tie flies. Just saying......
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

17. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

You will save a small fortune tying your own flies. Easily enough to cover the cost of a nice 8WT outfit. Just purchase both now and you can do the math a little later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast