Long inseam in waders... big issue?

nevessl

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've found a pair of Simms Headwaters in a size the fits my chest better than the other sizes (52), but the inseam is about 3" longer than what I normally wear. Do you guys think this will be a big prolem? I'm thinking the legs may bunch up a bit, but I'm not sure that will be an issue. Having said that, I'm completely new to waders and wanted to check with you guys on this. :) If I don't get these, I'll probably grab some Orvis Silver Sonics with a better inseam. Haha!

As a side note, I couldn't resist the Orvis Guide sling packs at $77!!! Grabbed one of those today. They didn't have any in stock at my local Orvis store, but they ordered over the phone with me and got me free shipping. I'll take it. :)

Thanks,

Brandon

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Slightly longer than what you'd ware in a normal pant is fine. Beyond that the material will rub and the ware rate will go up dramatically. This is not a good thing. 3" too long is just that ... to long.

Proper sizing for some can be a true pain in the butt. (Bad pun intended)

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
If a breathable wader (even neoprene it helps with), Wader USA suggests 3-4" longer than your normal inseam to allow for your knees to bend and at your hips....Well I went with a set which is 4" longer, another inch would have been perfect yet 4" is comfortable. Otherwise, it pulls at the bootie-leg seam, possibly why so many folks get a leak there.

Once in the water it will form fit to you, yet even out it simply makes it MUCH nicer moving around....So you might actually find 3" not enough.

That said, I do NOT know if in their sizing Simms accommodates for that......It would be good to ask them however before buying.

B.E.F.

ptarmigan

Reaction score
I have a short inseam and I once tried to wear waders that were about 3" long. I rubbed holes in them in between my knees. In fairness I was fishing a lot and walking even more back then, but I would still recommend not getting them too long. For this reason (among a few others) I chose Simms waders due to there great options in sizing. I have a 30" inseam with a 47" chest and size 11 kickers. Most companies make them too long if they work for my chest, simms is spot on.

troutnut4

Reaction score
Start with the sizing chart that Simms offers. The measurement is taken from the crotch to the floor which would be approximately 3" longer than you normal dress slacks. This extra 3" allows you to kneel. Slacks just ride up whereas waders can't if the slack isn't there. :punk:

silver creek

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've found a pair of Simms Headwaters in a size the fits my chest better than the other sizes (52), but the inseam is about 3" longer than what I normally wear. Do you guys think this will be a big prolem? I'm thinking the legs may bunch up a bit, but I'm not sure that will be an issue. Having said that, I'm completely new to waders and wanted to check with you guys on this. :) If I don't get these, I'll probably grab some Orvis Silver Sonics with a better inseam. Haha!
When you wear waders you must be able to CLIMB over objects and onto objects.

So when I buy waders, I lift my knee as if I am climbing onto a boulder, onto the bank, over a fence. Any inseam restriction will hamper mobility.

So do an inseam "test" with those waders by trying to step onto a chair. Any extra inseam is not needed.

nevessl

Reaction score
Many thanks for all of the replies, guys!

I have been using the Simms Headwaters sizing chart to see the dimensions. I actually believe that the XXL may be perfect for me after talking to you guys. I appreciate the feedback! I think I'll give them a shot. :)

Brandon

JoJer

Reaction score
+1 What Silver Creek said. You'll want some slack to allow climbing. Just picture that taut barbed wire fence. Be careful about wader material rubbing between the legs as Ptarmigan said. If you walk a lot, you can wear holes, as I did with my Cabela's G-II's.

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Just a crazy thought in that I've done a lot of it using extra-heavy ice busting waders with heavy boots attached.....Yet when hunting or even fishing where I need to walk long distances, I don't wear my waders.

Get a cheap backpack, stick your waders & wading boots in there and put them on when you need them sticking your hiking boots in the pack, taking them off when you have to walk some distance again. A pain to do? Maybe, yet sweating in your waders to then get in cold water sounds like a worse plan.....Plus you don't wear out your wading boots and waders not using them at the moment.

B.E.F.

silver creek

Reaction score
The question about seam length brings to mind a long forgotten wader that was once the best waders on the market. The waders would stretch so you did not need the extra seam length. They were the "Simms" of the 1970's.

I am going to show my age when I ask if there are any other older than dirt fly fishers like me that remember the latex rubber Seal Dry Waders?

http://trinityflyshop.com/blog/blast-from-the-past-new-old-goods/

Seal dry latex waders

stockingfoot wader question. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

https://books.google.com/books?id=M...wBQ#v=onepage&q=latex seal dry waders&f=false

nevessl

Reaction score
Wow! That is a killer deal! I wish they had my size. :-/ I also wish those were convertibles... having said that, if its warm enough to bother me, I'll probably be wet wading, anyway.

Just a crazy thought in that I've done a lot of it using extra-heavy ice busting waders with heavy boots attached.....Yet when hunting or even fishing where I need to walk long distances, I don't wear my waders.

Get a cheap backpack, stick your waders & wading boots in there and put them on when you need them sticking your hiking boots in the pack, taking them off when you have to walk some distance again. A pain to do? Maybe, yet sweating in your waders to then get in cold water sounds like a worse plan.....Plus you don't wear out your wading boots and waders not using them at the moment.

B.E.F.
I had the same thought. I have backpacking supplies, and am actually planning on doing some backcountry fishing for brookies in the Smokies at some point. Having said that, this thought has crossed my mind a couple of times, too. I don't really want to, nor am I planning on doing hiking in my waders, especially when I have 3 nice packs at home that I could use. :)

Also, I looked a bit closer at the Simms dimensions. Their listed inseam lengths are from the crotch to the floor, so I'll be needing that extra 3" almost certainly. That should also put these at the perfect length. Having said that, I'm also heavily considering Orvis Silver Sonic waders. They're a bit more expensive, but they're also convertible. From the little bit of research I've done, it seems like Simms may have a little bit better warranty, but I'm just getting started and I'm not sure just yet how much this is going to mean for me. Same thing with the convertible part, for that matter. Not sure how much I'd roll them down if I needed to or not just yet.

Thank you guys for all of the replies! I really appreciate you guys sharing your insight.

Brandon