Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  132
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Dirt cheap fishing flies

My local shop sells dollar flies and they catch fish ok but they don`t last. Their regular quality flies (they tie them all at the shop) are 3 to 7 bucks a piece they are perfectly tied and last fish after fish.

If I catch a few fish the dollar flies look pretty rough but did their job I usually only buy the ones I don`t tie or if a specific hatch is going on.

I really don`t own highbrow gear but it is all American made and nice and I want to keep my local fly shops in business so I buy stuff from them. One is near the rivers I fish and a new one is near my house and carries a full line of fly tying supplies, rods, reels and teach classes from casting to tying.

Why would`nt you want to support your local guys if you are lucky enough to have local shops and good guys online?

I started tying because the first actual trout flies I ever bought were from a shop in Livingston Montana, and being a young buck living on nothing on the road they were expensive and I cringed every time I snapped off. At home there were no shops to be found and no money to buy them with.

I saved my money and I bought a kit and a book for cheap and started tying, Someone famous once said when the student is ready the teacher will appear and as luck would have it that is what happened to me.

Hmmm my point? If there is a will there is a way and buy local.

Quote Originally Posted by smsnyder View Post
    Peter Fishing Flies Kenya. Just ordered 35 dozen flies. $2.90 Dozen Splitting with a friends. In case you don't know Kenya is the fly tying capitol of the world. I was told about this by another fisherman. He said flies take 4 to 6 weeks to come once they clear customs. Great web page.

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

I hope that ya' don't wind up disappointed...

I tie my own flies and will only buy from reputable U.S or European tiers (and once in a blue moon from companies like Umpqua, MFC, Solitude, Pacific Fly Group, Idylwilde Flies and others) and then only to take a single fly apart to determine its' construction - if I don't have a recipe.

On FB, I belong to a group called "Fly Pattern Stealing Africans"...the list of patterns(photos) and tiers who have been ripped off is endless (including myself). Kenya is the worst although there are a few other places that have these people...

Might want to ck. out this older article from Midcurrent:

Are Discount Flies a Good Deal? | MidCurrent

Good luck !

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

3. Likes kentuckysteve, hairwing530, mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
    If you are buying them sight unseen, I hope when they arrive that you will be able to report to the rest of us they are indeed comparable to Orvis in quality.
    Hey smsnyder, did your flies arrive yet? Is the quality as good as you hoped?
    Last edited by moucheur2003; 03-05-2015 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
    I have been getting fantastic deals on flies tied in Liberia. You can buy them by the bucket, and the packages are wrapped in colorful banana leaves.
    They are an amazing bargain (except, you know, for the whole Ebola thing)...
    But other than that, you can't beat them.
    You do have to wear latex gloves and a mask while tying them on, but you can get used to that when you think about the savings.
    Don't put them in your mouth, though.
    I don't use the acronym LOL very often, but that post earned it.
    It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. HST

When I do have to buy flies I use Flyshack. Have had good results w their stuff.

Northeast United States, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Orvis has all of their flies tied in Kenya. Well the ones I've bought and I have nearly two dozen different flies and all were tied in Kenya. I swear I heard from someone that Orvis was the Walmart of fly fishing gear...or maybe that was LL Bean?
    "I like to cast flies and stuff."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234