August Trip and questions

charliepff

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My wife and I want to go to Canada this August. We looked at a couple of lodges/camps and have narrowed it down to a few. If anyone has any camp suggestions let me know. I will be using my fly rod for pike. Do you tie your own leaders with steel leaders or do you buy them and how long should the wire leader be?

I also have a float tube and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for portable fish finders for them?

Thanks for your help everyone.

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
I am fan of tyger wire leader / tippet material for toothy critters. I normally use about 8-10" of bite wire. Problem with that is if you change flies without a quick snap the bite wire gets shorter with each fly change... Have fun. Heavy leaders required for turning those "BIG" pike flies.

lil_ol_angler_me

Reaction score
use coffee/bronze single strand wire and use an ALBRIGHT KNOT to connect it and you will do fine....us East Coast Charter Captains have done this for decades and never saw a need to change

use a haywire twist to connect to your hook/lure/fly

charliepff

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the leader suggestions. We are looking at Quebec in particular due to the shorter drive from where we are meeting our friends in Harrisburg. We prefer drive in since this our first trip up.