The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 02-06-2015, 06:10 AM

killem is a jewel in the roughkillem is a jewel in the roughkillem is a jewel in the roughkillem is a jewel in the rough
Default trying to get spinners into the fly

so I have a few friends that have expressed interest into fly fishing. They have never done it, but want to try. I don't want to put them off with "go spend money here", or "here, try my rod, and cast cast cast, and when you are ready we will fish".

Just wondering where you all would start a person that does spin casting into this sport?
Old 02-06-2015, 06:30 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: trying to get spinners into the fly

Good question, do you happen to have a fly fishing club in the area or maybe a TU Chapter. If not maybe a local fly shop, sometimes will offer free casting lessons as an incentive to bring in new customers. Some locals offer fly fishing lessons through their high school after hours programs.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:42 AM

cochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond repute

Bubble and Fly might be a good start for them.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:49 AM

GrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant future

The way I have convinced a few other folks to try fly fishing has always entailed "booze, bikinis, and beanbag toss."

You know how it is for most guys, we want to be doing something when we socialize be it shooting pool, darts or whatever....and then naturally the gals have to horn in and show us how they can do it better. So, when a bunch come over to the lake house, as we have a few drinks and the gals sun, some guy will always want to toss a spinning line in the water and that gives me the perfect lead in.

"Pshaw.....you can cast much more accurately and faster with a fly rod."

Naturally they'll all argue so at that point I get out a 4x4' bean bag toss board with a few holes in it, put a weight in place of the lure on the spinning rod, break out the old Orvis Clearwater 5wt. and one final VERY important thing, a simple Velcro strap.

So they'll cast, reel in and cast again. I'll cast and recast and after a few tries from everyone as it gets louder everyone taunting each other then naturally over come most of the gals, and it is usually one of them who wants to try the fly rod first......So I'll give them about 60 seconds of instruction and as usual when they keep leveling out the rod on the back-cast I'll use the strap to tie the but of the rod to their wrist (so the rod is inline with their forearm)......and it begins.

Pretty soon the gals are beating the guys and I suggest they score it up fetching more drinks and leaving them to it. In short order they're making non-monetary bets to taunt each other more......and I just leave it all alone making no suggestions unless asked (by those using the fly rod), and usually join the Spin team and stick with it to push others to use the fly rod.

After a few rounds, just as with anything there are those that want to keep doing it as a few go onto other things.....Those that stick to it I'll give them very relaxed tips not being overbearing and they play away soon enjoying casting (as usual the false casting) more than playing......and I just leave it alone in that a couple, maybe even a few decide they want to learn more.

It works every time.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney liked this post
Old 02-06-2015, 08:19 AM

stenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by killem View Post

so I have a few friends that have expressed interest into fly fishing. They have never done it, but want to try. I don't want to put them off with "go spend money here", or "here, try my rod, and cast cast cast, and when you are ready we will fish".

Just wondering where you all would start a person that does spin casting into this sport?
No need to drop a ton of cash to give fly fishing a try. In the hands of a complete newbie to the sport, a packaged combo from a department store will be just as lethal as a high end set up. I broke into the sport with a Berkley $15 6/7 WT rod from K-mart, a $10 Martin fly reel, and $15 fly line (Fairplay). And I got a lot of miles/hours/fish on that set-up for a few years in the beginning. Certainly enough time to get a feel for the sport and the rest takes care of itself.

In your neck of the wood, late April thru May is the best time to break guys in on stream trout IMO. Peek hatch season in NE trout streams and putting guys on the stream after work, during the sulphur hatch, w/ #14-16 parachute dun may plant the seed. Nymphing in between hatches w/ BHPT should get enough fish to keep them hooked. Fish a short line and make accurate casts.

Warmwater is another option. Summer fishing on warmwater rivers stripping streamers or wooly buggers for river smallies is another fun way to break into the sport. Usually good fishing on dries in warmwater rivers too... smallies, panfish, chubs all rise to generic stonefly patterns and/or poppers.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 02-06-2015, 09:31 AM

planettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant future

The fly & bubble technique is what my kids learned before they were given fly rods and reels...

Click the image to open in full size.

Ally workin' the edges at Lake Sabrina, CA...

Spin Fishing Using The Fly And Bubble Method - Fishing My Way

We still do it, from time to time, because one can cover a lot of water in shallow, alpine lakes that way...

...these are two of my favorite flies for that method...

It is a method that can also be used on medium and larger rivers...just have to practice with it a bit more to get the timing down for upstream casts...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 02-06-2015, 12:35 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

To clarify, I interpret your post to mean that your friends actually want to fly fish with a fly rod, reel, and fly line. In my personal opinion, there is a difference between wanting to catch a fish with a fly vs wanting to learn to fly fish.

If they want to catch a fish with a fly, then a casting bubble with a trailing fly is the method to use.

If they want to actually fly fish, then I would first teach them to cast so they can cast about 25 feet. Then I would take them fishing on a lake or pond for pan fish so they learn how to control fly line on still water and learn how to bring a fish in.

Flowing water is more difficult but when they are ready, take them to some riffles where the need for a drag free drift is not as important. Teach them how to strip in line as the fly drifts back to them.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 7 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 02-06-2015, 01:07 PM

killem is a jewel in the roughkillem is a jewel in the roughkillem is a jewel in the roughkillem is a jewel in the rough

yeah, they want to learn how to fly fish. My issue is that I don't want to put them off by telling them to go buy gear, and see if you like it. To me that is like buying the car before you test drive it, or tell them that they need to practice for hours in a field before they hit the water. I like the bikini, beer idea...that I think might just catch their attention.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:01 PM

stenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

My issue is that I don't want to put them off by telling them to go buy gear, and see if you like it.
Check the fly shops in your area... they may rent outfits.

Problem is, fly fishing is not something that folks are going to master right off the bat. Skills take time to develop... just tell them to go low end if money is tight.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring