I don't "get" reels-to be perfectly honest

hilltool

Reaction score
I suppose I'm asking for it- but I don't get the exspensive reels. I'm just starting out fly fishing- and I "get" the differences, debates, and prices on rods. But. to me, the ROD Is the point. Its the rod and line that seem to me to make the difference in casting and playing the fish (the rod, anyway). I've got three inexspensive ( 30.0 to 60.00) Redington reels, and other than weight and balance---why would I want a 2oo.oo plus reel? I'm sure there is a good answer- I'm just wondering what it is. I've had nice spinning reels over the years, and bait casting reels, and I understand nice action on them- but, I'm USING those alot differently. If I am casting for muskie or Pike- I'm throwing a spoon or bucktail all day and using the reel to impart action to it. So I "get" a nice, smooth action reel for that-but I don't do that fly fishing. With a fly rod, I never use the reel unless I have a fish on, which I admit is rare :) . Though, no more rare than me fishing Muskie- but, again, I'm still using the reel all day in that case. When I don't catch fish fly-fishing- i don't use the reel at all.

Thanks for whatever insight there is.

GRN

Reaction score
Depends on what you're doing...

Small trout and panfish, light tackle, all you need is something to hold the line...

But...

48 lb redfish in current on a 20 lb leader, and a 9wt RPL+ (tomato stake)... the quality of the reel had something to do with landing that fish... :icon_cool

TL's~

Greenwood

Reaction score
In the beginning, I always seemed to bring my fish in with the fly line alone - the reel seemed to serve no purpose other than storing line - as you said; probably because I ended up with a pile of slack line on the water at my feet! That changed about the time I hooked my first steelhead. The reel and especially the drag system were 'real' important! Now I generally put most of my fish on the reel, if for no other reason than to make sure that when I really need it, I won't be too awkward getting in that position. Plus, there are a lot of pretty decent reels out there for well under $200.

FrankB2

Reaction score
I just replaced most of my reels with Okuma SLVs: cheap, well-built, and
hold line in larger loops. The local fly shop suggested Abels and Lamson
Velocity reels. After I finished laughing, I asked why the ultimate drag was
necessary for the fishing in SouthEast PA. "You need 6x-7x tippet to catch
trout on these streams." Really? I had just caught rainbows on a 3x leader
the day before...LOL! "One head shake, and the tippet will snap." I gotta
be honest, and say I've never had a fish break off on freshwater. I did have
a musky bite through a line on the Delaware 20 years ago, but that's a
different story. I typically use 4x and 5x tippets for trout (I tie my own
leaders), and it's a real bear to break them when I get a fly hung up on
a branch. Maybe the extruded tippets are weaker....I couldn't say.

Charlie Meck was doing a book signing at a local fly shop, and I brought a
new STH reel in to get some backing. The shop guy said, "That reel has
to much start up intertia." I said it was smooth as silk, and asked Meck
what he thought. Charlie said, "I love those reels!", and the salesman put the
Lamson back in the case. That shop is currently trashing Ross reels in order
to sell Lamson. They tell everyone that asks for a new reel that Ross has
too many parts, and the drags seize up "All the time.":confused: ?!?!??!?
I guess the margin is better on Lamsons.....

shorthaul

Reaction score
hi ---grn is correct----in freshwater a few fish will take you to your drag and and backing and if are fortunate to do that very often a better reel is going to make your success more pleasurable.

the last reel that i bought on closeout was assembled on a 7 wt and i hooked up a hot chrome steelhead---the spool popped off on the first hot run.

using a cheap reel in saltwater is something that just wont work, at least very often.

I have a friend, whose an excellent steelhead and salmon fisherman, that lost 2 flylines in 2 casts while fishing tarpon at Garrison Bight at night with a marginal reel and not enough backing.

Last fall i had 2 albies that almost spooled me of 300 yds of backing and i tightened the drag down and lost them.

I buy the best i can and i still have the good ones after 49 yrs.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Before getting into why a fine reel with a great drag is really necessary in some situations, I'd like to thank you for adding a little perspective to the situation.

To metaphorically read into your post, it seems like you're saying that a spinning or casting reel is a more integral part of the process of catching a fish using those methods, while a fly reel is more like insurance to keep you attached to a fish you have managed to hook. Based on this thinking, which is essentially correct, it makes sense that the quality and functionality of a spinning/casting reel will have more effect on your fishing than that of a fly reel, and thus dropping $220 (or whatever it is nowadays) on a Shimano Calcutta is a more necessary investment than equipping your trusty 8wt with a Abel Super 8.

I cannot argue with that logic at all. It is also true that most of the fish hooked in freshwater in North America on a fly rod will be brought in without using the reel at all, and thus can be landed on a rig with a reel classified as adequate and no more.

The situations when a good/great fly reel are needed are the exceptions to that rule, and are also the fishing situations we tend to get most excited about: 18# steelhead on 3x and a 6wt, 9lb brown trout on 5x and a 4wt, 7lb bonefish, 24# carp on 4x and a 6wt, 80lb Tarpon on 16lb and a 10wt. etc.

These are situations where the beast is more than the rig is set up to handle, and the need for a reel that feeds out line smoothly with a high quality drag can mean the difference between the snap being the tippet and the snap being the shutter of a camera capturing an image of a Piscatory Pig and a Ginourmous Grin.

In some situations, the need for a fine reel on a fly rod is not in the form of a wondefully delicate and consistent drag, but rather in a reel that is manufactured so precisely, it can spin at a ridiculous rate and not get out of balance. Reels that are machined from barstock aluminum are generally much better balanced because they are starting from a much more consistent point, and can then be refined before hitting the market. (right now you're likely thinking, "sure, that happens with a hot-rod modern washing machine, or a tricked out Honda Civic, but not a fly reel) The fish than can do this are: Bonefish, Permit, Tuna, and a few others.

Bonefish are not a tasty fish. They are not an especially large fish, in general. But what they do is hang out in water less than 3' deep, and take off at dumbfounding speed once a hook bothers their little mouths. Bonefish are the reason a decent fly reel drag was made in the first place, because folks like Ted Williams (go Bosox!) wanted to be able to catch this little critter without their reel making smoke and all sorts of other problems. (yes, SMOKE, for real)

So, storal of the mory, that's why really pricey fly reels exist. They're generally not necessary. But there absolutely are flyfishing situations where they are the difference between cussing and landing.

FlyRichardFly

Reaction score
Fly fishing is my passion. I just spent $175 for my SLA reel and $100 for my SharkSkin line!

I don't need it, a $40 reel probably has a better drag, and the $40 line is all you really need, but I will spend money on what makes me happy.

The SLA is super light and has a "sexy" look! The SharkSkin is the latest and greatest line from Mastery, even better than the GPX!! So that's what I'll use.

You have to enjoy every minute of your life. It doesn't get much better than fishing.

I'll bet that you don't hesitate when the lying doctor tells you you need some expensive medicine. You will spend five hundred to get a tooth fixed, but you won't spend two hundred to get a quality reel that will last you a lifetime! LOL The lying doctor has a Orvis Helios and the best reel that money can buy and he can only support his rich life style if the masses, like you, will willingly give your money to him rather than spend it on flyreels!

Different strokes for different folks!

Give your paycheck to your wife..... she will buy another pair of shoes. You really don't need a good flyreel. Fishing is for the Rednecks, just go to work, pay your taxes and your wife will tell you what you need.

Joe D

Reaction score
In addition to the depends where and what you're fishing for rationale already stated, some people like a Rolex and others a Timex... why should anyone care?

hilltool

Reaction score
Well- thank you, Cliff, for thanking Me, for adding perspective. And, yes, that Is where I was headed. And, though I haven't fished salt water species with a fly rod, I have with light spinning gear-and I "get" that. If I ever go after muskie on a fly-rod, and I may, I suspect I may find my self in the situations you are all alluding to. So, I thank you all for the fore-warning. And I get everybody else's rationale on nice gear- I agree you should get what you like. I own eight canoes and kayaks- and some of them I own because they are "classics" , or they just paddle nice. I only use one or two on a regular basis.
Again, Thanks for the replies.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

Interesting subject. I would hate to think that as a fly fisher I would be catching 12" trout for the rest of my life. I can understand a beginner who doesn't want to spend a lot of money on a reel. But, if I am buying a setup for trout I want to be able to catch all trout and not just the 12 inches. Surely sometime in my fishing career I will want to fish out West, Alaska, Canada or even South America. These places have big Trout and Steelhead. If I buy my equipment wisely I will be fishing with a tried and true rod and reel that I have used for years. I will have learned how to fight a fish from the reel and don't have to think about how I will get the fish on the reel to fight. If I have to buy a heavier outfit for Salmon or Saltwater I will know how to operate the reel and not jam a finger with my first big fish.

Fly fishing is a life long journey and using top notch equipment brings a lot of joy to the event. We do a lot more fishing than we do catching and I for one enjoy using a better made and operating reel. Many times while fishing I have thought to my self with a little smile, "What a great little reel this is"

The best advice I can give to any one buying a reel is this. Buy the best you can afford and enjoy it for the rest of your life.

Frank

FrankB2

Reaction score
Hi Frank,
My favorite "reel for the rest of my life" fell over the side of my canoe last
Summer. It was attached to my rod and line, and I considered getting a
scuba diver, as the water was 20 feet deep in that spot:( :( :( . Bummer....

I'd love to have another life-long reel, but my adequate reels will do until
the need arises for something "better". I don't mind the small trout we have
in SE Pennsylvania, and a 15" trout can be handled without being put on
the reel. I like the large arbors to bring all that stripped line in quickly before
landing a fish. I actually use a combo of stripping line in, and reeling it up.
If I do manage to find and hook a 24" brown, I'll get 'em on the reel:) !

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
Hi Frank,
scuba diver, as the water was 20 feet deep in that spot:( :( :( . Bummer....QUOTE]

call me scuba steve, but I would of dove in after it haha. 20 feet is kinda deep tho dang.. too bad you can't free dive. rofl. as for cheaper reels these guys are right. cheaper reels will get the job done on most smaller fish but even being my cheap ol self like always I recently just splurged got a orvis battenkill for steelhead fishing. just incase I hook into a monster I wanna be able to post it on here for all to see. who knows I might still have the same reel 20 or so yeard down the road...

dgd

Reaction score
Fly fishing is my passion. I just spent $175 for my SLA reel and $100 for my SharkSkin line!

I don't need it, a $40 reel probably has a better drag, and the $40 line is all you really need, but I will spend money on what makes me happy.

The SLA is super light and has a "sexy" look! The SharkSkin is the latest and greatest line from Mastery, even better than the GPX!! So that's what I'll use.

You have to enjoy every minute of your life. It doesn't get much better than fishing.

No offense, but I am going to laugh my ass off when you get a 10 pound steely with that sharkskin and your fingers are BLEEDING and have cuts for days. If you want to cast the line and show off, buy a sharkskin. If you want to catch fish, you better have gloves or your fingers are going to be seriously messed up.

dgd

Reaction score
Hi Frank,
scuba diver, as the water was 20 feet deep in that spot:( :( :( . Bummer....QUOTE]

call me scuba steve, but I would of dove in after it haha. 20 feet is kinda deep tho dang.. too bad you can't free dive. rofl. as for cheaper reels these guys are right. cheaper reels will get the job done on most smaller fish but even being my cheap ol self like always I recently just splurged got a orvis battenkill for steelhead fishing. just incase I hook into a monster I wanna be able to post it on here for all to see. who knows I might still have the same reel 20 or so yeard down the road...
Hey Georgey, when are you going to stop your mad obsession with spending and save some money for casting lessons? With all you spend you could easily cast the 70 feet to actually catch a steelhead! Equipment wont make you a better caster or fisherman!!

FlyRichardFly

Reaction score
No offense, but I am going to laugh my ass off when you get a 10 pound steely with that sharkskin and your fingers are BLEEDING and have cuts for days. If you want to cast the line and show off, buy a sharkskin. If you want to catch fish, you better have gloves or your fingers are going to be seriously messed up.
LOL! thanks for the tip. But I do like to show off! That's the only reason I spent the bucks for the Sharkskin!

Maybe I could get a nice set of gloves with "Orvis" in big letters so everyone could see.

All kidding aside........ maybe I was a little harsh in my previous post, sorry, but I just won't buy the cheap tackle anymore! If I think something is better, and it will make my fishing experience better, then I'll spend a couple more bucks to get it.

Frank hit the nail on the head. Buy the best that you can afford and keep it for a long time. I spent more money upgrading from my "cheap" to "not so cheap" tackle! I think I finally learned something.

Fishing is about to start this year, and this year I want to use fly gear that I really want........ no more cheapo shortcuts for this guy.

Sharkskin is the latest line from Scientific Anglers. They make the ultimate IMHO, the Mastery GPX, which is used by most and regarded as the best WF Floating there is today. The Skin is just another step up for SA. It doesn't cut my fingers at all! LOL It has a micro groove to make it float higher and have less memory. Better for mending, better for casting. $35 more than GPX, but I liked it and so I bought it.

I'll post some pix of all the trout I catch. If my hands are bleeding, I'll be sure to keep them out of the picture.

Fish on anyway,
Rick

axle27

Reaction score
As a newbie, I'm in the same boat...but for different reasons. I've got a St. Croix 9ft, 2pc, 5wt and I'm researching reels to mate with it.

The things I consider are:

1- Budget - no more than $80
2- Warranty
3- Material (composite plastic vs. die-cast vs. machined aluminum)
4- Type of drag
5- Possible versitility of the reel in applications other than the one I want to use it in (trout in small to mid sized streams, no larger than 10lbs, estimated)
6- Advise from here and other places. Advise here is subjective, but only in the sense of what a particular individual has used. Most here are not salesman trying to get me to buy something. That being said, fly fishing can be broad in usage. Add in one's experience and casting ability (of which I have none at this point) and it's all taken with a grain or two of salt.

Although I've not looked at every manufacturer for the criteria I've set forth above, I have come down to a few choices. Like everything else, these may change, but this is what I've narrowed it down to:

1- Fly Logic FLP 567
2- Okuma SLV 5/6
3- Anglers Roost Enterprises #102
4- Okuma Airframe
5- Stone Creek Expedition/Voyager
6- Hobbs Creek Large Arbor

I know that any one of these could do the job, initially. If I've missed something in the way of reels, let me know.

mojo

Reaction score
You can get a cheap reel for trout, yes. Myself I like click pawls. Rim control. I also like the newer disc drag reels (Lamson Litespeeds) when I am lazy. A cheap reel with a disc drag does not have the good inital start up as a better reel does. What I mean by that is if you hook a fish and it takes off quick, without a good drag you'll pop your tippet. Guys with more expensive reels will verify that. Spend your money on a good rod, good line and a cheap reel for now. Check out those 101's Mcnair's been pushing. For $50 you can't loose. Then if you love the sport, you'll make the right desicion on your next reel.

dgd

Reaction score
LOL! thanks for the tip. But I do like to show off! That's the only reason I spent the bucks for the Sharkskin!

Maybe I could get a nice set of gloves with "Orvis" in big letters so everyone could see.

All kidding aside........ maybe I was a little harsh in my previous post, sorry, but I just won't buy the cheap tackle anymore! If I think something is better, and it will make my fishing experience better, then I'll spend a couple more bucks to get it.
Rick
Hi Rick, I both violently oppose what you say and totally agree. If you are fishing for resident trout under 20 inches a $89 orvis barstock reel is more than enough. Heck, a okuma sierra is more than enough. I have caught 20 inch spring run steelhead on a 4 weight rod with a basically no drag on a size 20 dry. But that was a spring run fish in a slow moving hole. Just upstream in the winter a 6 or 7 pound winter run steelhead broke my 7 weight spey on the take!!

I guess I am somewhat vocal on people THINKING they need to spend $400 on a trout reel. The hook and the line, their are tons of reasons to get the best. As far as line, shooting out of your guides to increase cast distance, ride high on the water, easily mend, the sharkskin actually has them all. I know, I have several sharkskins. They beat the competition in every area. The only problem is when you go out and cat 5-10 fish in the 12-20 inch range, or god forbid you catch salmon :( , your hands are going to need serious medical attention.

But this poster raises a good point, buying a sharkskin will increase your casting distance much more for $100 than using a $700 rod instead of a $250 rod. And it mends better, roll casts better, stays on top of the water better (doesnt sink). It just f***s the sh** out of your fingers. I did a search on this after my post and found this from singlebarbed:
I get 5% more distance, and 35% less fingertip - not a fair trade : Singlebarbed