Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Peak Rotary Vise

What a wonderful vise this is! I've been tying for 5 years and I always used a $15 piece of ****. I finally had the courage to buy a nice vise. $149, but I'm sure it will last me a long time.

I'm not a expert tier by any means, and I used to lose my mind and throw the crappy fly in the trash....... then I would go to Cabelas and buy some. LOL

With a rotary vise I can turn the fly any place I want it. And the jaws never drop the fly on the desk!

Tonight I tied some "white drakes" my own creation. I even made some burnt mono eyes..... for the first time. I used a 1/4" piece of 25lb flourocarbon leader (my saltwater stuff) and held it in my hackle plyers and put it next to a candle. In a micro second it melts and forms a round eye on each side. Then I used a magic marker. Tiny eyes on a dry fly makes the fly look real.

So relaxing and so much fun. I love to tie flies.

Seven days until trout season opens, Fish On longrodders,
    Rick

Default Re: Peak Rotary Vise

My first tying efforts were made 30+ years ago, and the vise was something
    that could have come from a gumball machine. I bought a Griffin 2A with
    a pedestal base a few years ago, and was in heaven. I tied a lot of flies on
    that vise, but got tired of straining to see the other side. I bought a Peak
    almost one year ago, and now I'm truly in HEAVEN !!
    I use the rotary function not only to seethe ther side, but to wind bodies and
    hackle, and also position patterns so that the top is facing me, etc.

The Peak was chosen because of its price, and also the robust jaws. I tied
    #18-20 midges on the standard jaws with ease, and simply love it for all
    of my tying.

Enjoy......

Is it really worth the money i am still using a sunrise AA it is functional but has several issues that i am getting sick of dealing with. I have been researching vices for a long time and just can't seem to pull the trigger on a good one. To many choices and some are over $600.00 does yours have a lifetime warranty?
    Jim
    I don't always fly fish but when I do I prefer salt water. Stay salty my freinds

Worth every cent, and I'm super cheap ! They do have a warranty, but
    once you see one of these vises, you won't be thinking warranty issues: they
    are built like tanks.....elegant tanks .

It does look heavy duty are there any plastic parts on it? I can break a piece of plastic just looking at it. It makes my sunrise aa look pretty lame LOL.
    I don't always fly fish but when I do I prefer salt water. Stay salty my freinds

Congrats Rick!

I've had mine about 15 months and I still fall in love with it every time I sit down to tie a few! They really are built like tanks and with the base it could probably withstand a Cat 2 Hurricane.

Phil

7. Default Re: Peak Rotary Vise

I too own a Peak & have loved it from day one.

When I decided to get a rotary vise after taking several fly tying classes &
    realizing a non-rotary just did not cut it, I did a lot of web based research.

Many observations/testing from many sources & many vises were suggested,
    but when I saw the reports on the Peak my mind was pretty set. Each one
    of the reports mentioned : sweet, smooth, versatile & that for the money
    you really could not go wrong.

I've tied tons of flies from size 18 Caddis to size 4 6x long streamers & most
    recently tube flies.

I've never been sorry I purchased my Peak. We have had some rather lengthy threads on vises in the past, but my best advise is to try one
    out before buying, then buy what's best for you.

Also, your fly looks great, keep tying,

Tie One On

"I've tied tons of flies from size 18 Caddis to size 4 6x long streamers & most
    recently tube flies."

Hi tie one on,

When are we going to see a picture of some of your tube flies?

Frank

9. Default Re: Peak Rotary Vise

Quote Originally Posted by FlyRichardFly View Post

What a wonderful vise this is! I've been tying for 5 years and I always used a $15 piece of ****. I finally had the courage to buy a nice vise. $149, but I'm sure it will last me a long time.

I'm not a expert tier by any means, and I used to lose my mind and throw the crappy fly in the trash....... then I would go to Cabelas and buy some. LOL

With a rotary vise I can turn the fly any place I want it. And the jaws never drop the fly on the desk!

Tonight I tied some "white drakes" my own creation. I even made some burnt mono eyes..... for the first time. I used a 1/4" piece of 25lb flourocarbon leader (my saltwater stuff) and held it in my hackle plyers and put it next to a candle. In a micro second it melts and forms a round eye on each side. Then I used a magic marker. Tiny eyes on a dry fly makes the fly look real.

So relaxing and so much fun. I love to tie flies.

Seven days until trout season opens, Fish On longrodders,
    Rick
    Wow- I love the look of the fly you created! Talk about eye catching...

10. Default Re: Peak Rotary Vise

Quote Originally Posted by nralover View Post
    Wow- I love the look of the fly you created! Talk about eye catching...
    Thanks, I made a big size 10 dry fly hook with a drake tail (bucktail with head cement) and tiny mono eyes.

I made all white, like the White Miller because white is so easy to see in the water.

I'll be using the big white drys this weekend...... first day trout opens in SE Penna. If rain, like expected, then a weighted black wooly bugger. I'll post some pix starting next week.

Also....... in central PA there is a huge hatch every night from June until Sept in the Susquehanna. At dark, 8:30 until 10:00 the smallmouth bass gorge themselves on the abundant White Millers. I caught quite a few last year, but these drys look a lot better....... the ones I tied last year, with my cheapo vise, didn't float!! What can I say? I was frustrated and sat in a low wooden chair with a $15 vise that would drop the fly on my desk every time I put some pressure on the thread.

With a nice vise tying is a wonderful thing to do.

Six days until trout opens,
    Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast