Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Default Season Opener Trips

It has been a wet cool May and the hatches have been relatively sparse for this time of year. Normally there is a good hatch of Hendricksons which are size 12/14 in our area. I've seen a few but the main hatch has been are smaller and sparser. The trout have been a lot more picky about the flies. Usually they are all over parachute Adams in a size 14 and I can fish that fly all day.

The first time I went out, I caught few on a parachute Adams. Then I decided to experiment and went through the same water again with a sparkle dun, and it seemed every fish rose for that fly. I would say that on the first run through I caught 10 fish but on the second try I caught another 30 before I quit.

This is how the water looked the first time I went out.

You can see that there are multiple conflicting currents and getting a long drift is tough. This little entering rivulet held two of the larger fish. They were in very shallow water and I think these fish were in this locating because the other side of stream holds most of the fish. I spotted a rise and was able to hook two nice fish and a third smaller fish from this spot.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Blog Entries

Default Re: Season Opener Trips

What a nice looking stretch of water you had there! My season is about to get going here as we pass mid week and I hope to remember a few pictures too. It sounds like a great day to me.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Default Re: Season Opener Trips

Nice report as always and great brookies!