Drunk while fly fishing

dragon11

Reaction score
This morning, I think I was drunk while I was fishing, even though I don't remember drinking. It's the only explanation for my morning.

I woke up at 6:30 and headed out to the river. I arrived, got my stuff on, and began getting my pole ready. That's where it went down hill. It took me four times to feed the line through the guides. I finally got that done and make it to the river.

Fifty yards into the river I fell, and was covered in mud. I started casting a crayfish fly into a calm pool next to some rapids when my fly got caught on a log. Having just lost a fly yesterday I was having nothing of it. Took my vest off and swam out into the river, and successfully retrieved my fly.

Made my way up the river when suddenly I have to go to the bathroom. This is a little personal but it adds to the story. I didn't care, I was determined to catch a fish. I made it an hour or so when I knew I was at my breaking point and had to head home.

Start to crawl up the bank and out of the river when I slipped and fell. Cut my knees up and the hook from the fly, which is attached to the hook point on the pole, completely goes through the web of my hand. It takes me six attempts to pull it out. Cutting my hand open and creating a 90 degree bend in the hook of my streamer.

Thank heavens I finally made it home. And the good news is I never even caught a fish....I'm headed back this afternoon to try again. Thanks for letting me vent.

stenacron

Reaction score
Wow, that is a rough outing.

Four (4) attempts just to line your rod? Might want to consider a new hobby.

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Sounds like a great day.....a big adventure and one that will help in the success of those to come!

You'd be surprised at how a positive perspective will change your world.

B.E.F.

sdb777

Reaction score
On the bright side, this afternoon maybe you can bring a bottle of your favorite 'poison' and some coke....mix a 50/50 mix and then you won't have any 'issues'?

Scott (or have a few drinks) B

spm

Reaction score
I love the stories everyone posts with all the fish they caught and the beautiful scenery and all, but this is a story I can relate to ...really relate to.
I feel your pain, dragon.

Thanks,
steve

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
Dragon, I think if we are all honest with ourselves, we have all had one of “THOSE” days on the water. A day when nothing seems to go right. It sounds a little cliché, but those days make you appreciate the truly good ones… Best of luck on the next outing…

dragon11

Reaction score
All of it I can live with, but missing the guides while setting up my rod, I haven't a clue what went wrong. The only thing I'm worried about is that they say things come in three's. I'm worried that when I head back in a little bit it will be like returning to the seen of a crime!:ranting3:

jdwy

Reaction score
On a positive note, you didn't mention a LOT of real bad nest-ball type wind knots.:)

tcorfey

Reaction score
I have had those days, luckily they are few and far in between. What I usually do after the first or sometimes the second issue is take a break. For me that means I sit down collect my thoughts watch the water have something to drink (usually make a cup of coffee in my jetboil) and a smoke and then think through what my next plans are. Usually this helps me relax and make better decisions. Oh, and I never worry about losing a fly that is just the price of admission.

wolfglen

Reaction score
Good one. I'll see if I can find some of my old articles from my column "Murphy was a Sportsman" from Florida Woods and Waters back in the 80's.

comeonavs

Reaction score
I love it, I posted a story of an off day a while back so your story of course made me laugh.

Although mine started with my entire box (30 dozen or so) of midges all under size 18 dumped over in the gravel and ended with my new zealand strike indicator kit floating down the river.

We all have those days and it is fun to hear I am not the only knucklehead who has days to remember or forget depending on your sense of humor

killem

Reaction score
so I will tell you a small story. 1 day I decided to head to a river that was about 3 hours down the road, so it was a 0430 wake up for me, I packed everything I needed for the day, and headed out. Little did I know that before I packed my son decided to help me, and slipped 1 piece of my St.Croix 1 piece of my ugly ass walmart special, and 1 piece of my sage. He also decided that my chest pack was a little to heavy, and take out some of (all of) my flies.

yeah, I didn't know this until I got to the stream...well that was a short ass day of fishing for me...there has been other days just as bad, and worst then yours that I smile at myself about (both fishing, and at home).

Hope you had 1 of the best days of fishing the afternoon session.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Exactly! You'll have good days going forward and you'll get drunk AFTER the fishing, back at camp. It's much better that way!

Mark
Guys sitting around in camp chairs Mark. Fresh bottle of Single Malt, proper glassware (I insisted on that), full to empty. Long naps and 'OK someone make dinner.'

Didn't cost anything like this 'back in the day' but his is what I packed.

Waterford Lismore 9oz Roly Poly

Fishing was good, catching sucked .. back to the campground.

Mellow day, bottles of 'Adult Berverage.'

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

[/COLOR]Thinking back to one of the best evenings ever. 12 of us camping/fishing on the river.

Everyone brought a bottle of scotch (their choice) wrapped in a brown paper bag. Marked the bags 1 through 12 and wine tasting score cards.

Sip of this, write notes, sip of that, write notes ... compare. Everyone agreed on what 'sucked,' arguments as to what was at the top end of the scale. 'Smoke,' too much 'Peat,' 'bland,':eek: woozer, etc. Amazing thing was the 'high end's' rarely came in first.

One winner was a 110 proof that fellow had picked up at a 'duty free' store coming back to the US. Didn't take much of that to make your vision fuzzy. Next morning the camp site sounded like a chain saw test sight. SNORING was as close to fishing as these guys were going to get some time later that day.

Actually, save for right in front of the camp site, no one fished that day. :rolleyes: A 'Hang-over' had new bench marks. :rolleyes:

fae