Piscifun Fly Reel 5/6 Wt 2+1BB What can you tell me about it?

ryork

Reaction score
I have taken the free Orvis classes, and I am getting into fly fishing on a tight budget. Anyone have experience with the Piscifun Fly Fishing Reel 5/6 Wt 2+1BB? As it looks right now it would fit my current budget nicely. Thanks a lot for the help.

smilingduck

Reaction score
I have never tried that combo so I don't have any advice on that subject.

Buying used fishing gear can be a great way to get into fly fishing. I'm not sure what your budget is but looking on EBay and shopping around will get you a nice outfit for a great price. I would spend most of you $ on the rod most reels will be fine. I have bought many high end rods from friends at half price or less that they weren't using.

ryork

Reaction score
I have never tried that combo so I don't have any advice on that subject.

Buying used fishing gear can be a great way to get into fly fishing. I'm not sure what your budget is but looking on EBay and shopping around will get you a nice outfit for a great price. I would spend most of you $ on the rod most reels will be fine. I have bought many high end rods from friends at half price or less that they weren't using.
Duh, hadn't even thought about that route. Thanks for the idea.

fq13

Reaction score
Dittoes to the previous post. Spend your dollars on the rod over the reel. If you are after trout or bass the reel is likely to be a line holder eight times out of ten. Where are you and what are you fishing for? Tell me that and I can reccomend anything from a twenty dollar Cabelas house brand (which are very underpriced) to a $200 Allen. It depends on your needs. Get a good rod and go from there. I have never heard of the the brand you mentioned, but that means nothing. Seriously, I own a a 2@ 5/8ths Hardy Perfect and a 3" Pfleugar medalist. Both weigh about the same and have similar drags. The difference is about $500 for collectors value and style points, but both will stop a trout just fine. Don't get hung up on reels unless you are chasing steelhead up there. Even then then there are plenty of good middle of the road reels used or on sale out there.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
The reel looks like a lot of the other knock off reels you can find on the auction site or amazon. It would probably work fine and it is cheap enough, but in that price range I would probably check out the Cabela's reels FQ13 mentioned.

The used option mentioned is definitely the best way to get some quality in your first setup. You should expect to pay about half price for used, and it will be worth about that if you decide to upgrade it. The inexpensive combos from Redington work well enough to get started too. If you stick with the hobby there is always time to blow some more money later when you can afford it. :)

huntschool

Reaction score
As above posters have offered .... Check out the used sales sites. You can find some deals and its kinda fun.

I must admit, living in the same state but me being 6.5 hours south of you, I cant offer much in the way of shops etc but I did Google "Fly shops in the Chicago, Illinois area" and came up with some locations. A visit to some of these might get you in with some local folks that can help you along your way.

Post your budget and what fish you expect to go for and perhaps we can be more selective in our advice.

Good luck

ryork

Reaction score
As above posters have offered .... Check out the used sales sites. You can find some deals and its kinda fun.

I must admit, living in the same state but me being 6.5 hours south of you, I cant offer much in the way of shops etc but I did Google "Fly shops in the Chicago, Illinois area" and came up with some locations. A visit to some of these might get you in with some local folks that can help you along your way.

Post your budget and what fish you expect to go for and perhaps we can be more selective in our advice.

Good luck
looking to get a reel for $75 or under.......I have my dad's old Horrocks Ibotson Bamboo Rod. I mentioned it in a previous post. I just want to get a reel that I could use for pan fish and maybe bass in northern IL. Thanks for the responses.

itchmesir

Reaction score
Go on eBay and get yourself a used Ocean City 36. That's plenty of reel for panfish and bass. Plus it'll likely match the era of your bamboo rod. And likely balance it better than any modern reel.

fq13

Reaction score
looking to get a reel for $75 or under.......I have my dad's old Horrocks Ibotson Bamboo Rod. I mentioned it in a previous post. I just want to get a reel that I could use for pan fish and maybe bass in northern IL. Thanks for the responses.
For fifty bucks I can solve your problem. I have a brand new, as in never cast, Bass Pro White River disc drag reel, spooled with new WF F five weight line and backing that I bought for a Yellowstone trip that never happenecd. I like the reel, it has a decent click adjust drag and seems solid and the line has never seen daylight. Send me your address and I will mail it to you, if you like it pay me, if not ship it back.

Alternatively I would reccomend the Cabelas Wind River (about twenty bucks on sale) . These are better than than bass pro and I have and love one on my three weight. Or if you want to go old school in keeping with the bamboo try a 3" Pfleuger Medalist. It lends a bit of "Get off my lawn" class.:D They are a classic American spring and pawl reel and you should be able to find one for about fifty bucks on ebay. The only downside is that they are right hand retrive. The thing is that for bass and panfish the reel is a line holder, get something decent but cheap. Spend your money on a good line and flies. Ask the board what line to buy for bamboo as I haven't a clue. Good luck.

ryork

Reaction score
For fifty bucks I can solve your problem.
Thank you for the offer, sounds great. Sounds like a good deal. Please advise what the total cost was with shipping and I'll remit. I have tried to send a message twice to you, obviously I am doing it wrong. I am interested and would like to send you my address but unable to get the messages to go through.

Last edited:

yikes

Reaction score
I second the Cabela's Wind River reel. When I first started fly fishing, I told my flyfishing friends that I was going to primarily fish the eastern Sierra Nevada, and I was worried about getting the right disc drag. Somebody told me that my reel would be "just a line holder", and I didn't know what they meant. But I was on a super-tight budget and bought a used 5 wt Sage II rod for $60 and ordered a Cabela's Wind River for $20.

I've used that setup for over 2 years now up and down California, Oregon and New Mexico, with the largest trout being about 18" brown. I have not yet had to even set the drag at all, and I probably wouldn't even remember which way to twist the drag setting. All drag can be controlled with the palm of my hand.

A friend of mine pretty much did the same thing until he encountered some really big trout on the Green River in Utah. His guide had to remind him how to set the drag.

Go for the $25 Wind River.

jonwilliams

Reaction score
These are the reviews for this fly reel

"This rivals the Sage I have for a fraction of the cost. Don't waste your money on big names. This is a excellent reel. "

"Ive only had it for a short time but if it holds up it is well worth 5 stars for value alone. If you're fishing small streams for trout it is the best reel. Spend the money you save on flies! "

"Took a chance and bought this reel to replace an Orvis Clearwater reel I had damaged. I had low expectations for this reel, but it is great. I can't believe the low cost and quality. It's smooth, seems to be built solid, and is easy to change from right or left hand retrieve. Highly recommend. "

"I just received this real my comments will come from a point of view of someone who has purchased machined,stamped and forged metal parts for 20 years. I find when I look over the reel it is superbly manufactured and assembled very very high-quality and extremely well made. Based on fit and finish and overall quality I would highly recommend buying this reel. This is an excellent price for an equally excellent product ! "

"Great reel for the price. I know that so far I've got my moneys worth out of it's got just a very nice feel to it and adjustments are extremly ez to use. I would (and do) recomend this one for any Fly Fisherman. Why pay a High price when you can get a very nice reel for less. (I put it onto the rod I built and have caught plenty of fish off it. Good for the novice and the experienced Fly Fisherman for sure) ( I'm thinking of buying another for a diffrent rod I have with a not so good reel on it)"

kevind62

Reaction score
I've got two of these one 5/6 (gold) and one in 7/8. Haven't had the chance to really put the 7/8 to the test. The 5/6 performed perfect on a recent Wyoming trip on nice fish and below freezing temps.

If u feed off the reel a lot the drag will work its way loose. I palm my spool for drag anyway so it doesn't effect me. Other than that the tolerances are tight and the finish seems durable as I laid mine on the rocks several times while unhooking fish. No visible damage to the finish. I like the large arbor on these reels. I had a couple nice fish that spooled me into my backing line a bit. Nice to be able to let them run and not have to chase them down river.

Overall, for someone looking to get in without taking out a second mortgage I think the bang for the buck here is well worth it.

Only thing I would add is stick with the machined reels. The forged ones look cheap to me in any brand.