Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  54
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Re: Flies that make you go hummmm

Wow great information.
    Just looked up buzzball fly ( mentioned in deans post link)
    The Red Boat Mark Chronicles : LaFontaine's Buzzball - A Step by Step Guide
    Have to tie some of those and give them a try.
    Wayne
    Can one learn everything about fly fishing a lifetime?

Default Re: Flies that make you go hummmm

The only th ng I been able to catch are fall fish on a royal

Peacock herl is a common denominator in the Royal and the Renegade - I think it's one of those magic tying materials that fish often can't resist. How many other patterns can you think of that have stood the test of time that use peacock herl? Prince, Zug Bug, Coachman, Red (and Grey) Hackle, Griffith Gnat .. I'm sure you can come up with plenty of others. It just seems to have fish-appeal. I don't know if it's "why" the Royal and Renegade catch fish so well, but it sure doesn't hurt!

Hey, on the subject of flies that make you go "hmmmm" - I was reading a fishing report for the Big T in Colorado and they suggested a size 14 Amy's Ant. A size14. Hmmmmmm. Have you ever seen one of those? On Charlie Cravens web site he gives tying instructions. The materials list is 10 items long (including TWO pieces of foam) and the instructions list 26 steps! I would have a very very difficult time cramming all that stuff on a size 14. If I did it somehow, it would just look like a blob. Size 14 - hmmmmm.

Mark

4. Likes fredaevans, roadkill1948 liked this post

I fish mostly in southern Wy and northern Colorado.usually small to smaller streams. When I can not see a Parachute Adams because of age or water, my go to flies are the Royal Wulff or Royal Humpy. This summer, I have caught multiple larger fish on these two patterns. Usually a 14 but could be a 16 or even a 12.
    These also work very well in local lakes. A 16 usually the go to size. Once upon a time, Bud Lilly's fly shop would sell their seconds on this fly and I would buy several dozen. At that time my Royal Wulff ties were not pretty but still caught fish.
    Though I do not use a dropper often, these flies float so well that you can use a small dropper nymph and still it will float all day. Only drawback is it seems these flies whirl twirl when cast and cause leader problems but one cannot have everything.

james w 3 3 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
    Perhaps not an imitation of anything but a resemblance to a lot of things?
    One simple, single sentence that describes sooooo much of my tying these days.
    Thank you Fred, well said!

7. Likes fredaevans liked this post

Here are a couple of older patterns I still use...'cause there are always Trout that have not seen them... and do they work...

Rat Faced McDougal (Yellow Tail Version)...

Royal Wulff - Lime...

...and an H & L Variant...

Fly Tying Course # 13 The H & L Variant dry fly | thefeatherbender

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

I've discovered that the Palsa Indicator makes a pretty good "attractor pattern". I've been threatening to put a hook in one for quite awhile now.

10. Likes markfrid, mridenour liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by markfrid View Post
    Peacock herl is a common denominator in the Royal and the Renegade - I think it's one of those magic tying materials that fish often can't resist. How many other patterns can you think of that have stood the test of time that use peacock herl? Prince, Zug Bug, Coachman, Red (and Grey) Hackle, Griffith Gnat .. I'm sure you can come up with plenty of others. It just seems to have fish-appeal. I don't know if it's "why" the Royal and Renegade catch fish so well, but it sure doesn't hurt!

Hey, on the subject of flies that make you go "hmmmm" - I was reading a fishing report for the Big T in Colorado and they suggested a size 14 Amy's Ant. A size14. Hmmmmmm. Have you ever seen one of those? On Charlie Cravens web site he gives tying instructions. The materials list is 10 items long (including TWO pieces of foam) and the instructions list 26 steps! I would have a very very difficult time cramming all that stuff on a size 14. If I did it somehow, it would just look like a blob. Size 14 - hmmmmm.

Mark
    Hmmmm, somewhere in the dusty recesses of my brain box - I remember a theory and/or tests done on natural vs. synthetic materials. I believe that some of the synthetics that appear to be the same actually looked different when viewed with UV light. There's a whole bunch of questions raised with that one. Like, the fish are viewing the material through water - what does water do the light? The bottom line at my age is just use what works! Thanks.

The Royal Wulff works because it does. It's the emergent product of hundreds of years of iterative fly-tying. My own personal belief is that anything you tie with a peacock herl body and grizzly hackles will fish well. The natural shimmer of peacock herl closely matches the shimmery nature of chitinous insects. And it floats high so the trout doesn't get a real good look at it. The royal wulff fishes best on fast moving mountain freestone streams where the trout only get a split second to decide if something is food or not.

The other big benefit is psychological. We know it works. We're not sure about a new fly unless we have personal experience with it. Also, the royal wulff is easy to see, floats high, and lands upright most of the time.

Ah...... The Rat Faced McDougal. Now there is another one from the past.
    Bruce A. Hering
    Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (Retired)
    Game Preserve/Shooting Complex Mgt.
    Southeastern Illinois College
    Shotgun Team Coach
    NSCA Level III Instructor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast