Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  28

Default -#(?!#?!! Salmon

I was on a Georgian Bay trib today targeting Chinook salmon. I found a deep pool with a group of seven in it. I threw everything I could think of at them. Not one hit, not one follow, nothing.

I know this is typical but it hurts to see such very very large fish just ignore my offerings. I only get up here twice a year so my time on the river is limited.

I now sit at a local bar drowning my sorrow. And tomorrow I'm off to tour waterfalls with my wife. Sigh!

There's always next year

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Wink Re: -#(?!#?!! Salmon

rfb .... what's why they call it 'fishing' not 'catching.'
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

3. Likes rfb700, duker, mcnerney liked this post

Default Re: -#(?!#?!! Salmon

Salmon are like that. Sometimes they ignore a thousand casts. Other times I've seen fish charge 5-10 feet to hit a fly.

I don't know exactly what time of day you were fishing, I've never had much luck on bright days. Low light seems to have always work best for me, either early morning or late evening, or a heavily overcasted day.

The more you know, the less you need.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

5. Likes rfb700, mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Some days you get them some days you don't. It's really tough when you are traveling into an area and have just a short time to fish. Best bet is the crack of dawn for the GL Kings. Once people start flogging at them they get pretty stressed.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

7. Likes rfb700, pszy22, mcnerney liked this post
  8. Default Re: -#(?!#?!! Salmon

I feel your pain man! I lived in Alaska for 5 years and only had one King on the line and it was foul hooked. I caught plenty of Reds and Silvers while I was there but never officially caught a Chinook.

Like the others said... That's why it's called fishing, not catching!

9. Likes rfb700, mcnerney liked this post

Shame about that case of runs from dinner tonight. You were so looking forward to the water falls, but dang you had to stay behind. Once you got some immodium they cleared up, but itwas too late so you had to settle for fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by rfb700 View Post
    I was on a Georgian Bay trib today targeting Chinook salmon. I found a deep pool with a group of seven in it. I threw everything I could think of at them. Not one hit, not one follow, nothing.

I know this is typical but it hurts to see such very very large fish just ignore my offerings. I only get up here twice a year so my time on the river is limited.

I now sit at a local bar drowning my sorrow. And tomorrow I'm off to tour waterfalls with my wife. Sigh!

There's always next year
    Targetting Chinooks in a pool...is akin to flossing. As you are likely well aware...when Chinnys enter the tribs, they really have one thing on their mind. Spawning. Feeding...doesn't happen anymore so possibly getting strikes because of a feeding response....not happening.

So, striking then...is behaviour based. Primarily, there are 2 types of behaviour based striking....anger and protection.

Generally for both, there must be a threat. For example, a big(ger) male Chinny may attack a smaller male to drive him away from gravid females. A redd-cutting female may attack a gobie or small mouth bass that is lurking near the nest intent on eating freshly laid eggs. These 2 examples likely make up the absolute bulk of strikes during Chinny spawning.

So then, where do Chinny spawn and by extension, where would you see these types of aggressive behaviours?

Riffles primarily or rocky runs secondarily....NEVER pools. Pools...are safe havens. Refugia from predators as the deep water makes it hard for typical predators to access them. BUT, all fish use pools as refugia while most never use pools for spawning. The results in Social crowding....and what is not normally 'accepted' behaviour in riffles and runs....is 'accepted in pools'. This phenomenon is best explained by the Social Fence Hypothesis and you can Google that for fun and exciting reading. In a nutshell, this hypothesis states that in certain conditions, animals will accept conditions (i.e. crowding) not normally tolerated, all things equal.

So then, spotting Chinnys in a pool...on a bright day....and trying to target them...would be absolutely fruitless indeed. The only way...pretty much the only way there would be a 'strike'...and not a strike at all....and more flossing....is that you were able to drift a fly into one of their mouths....and that ain't fishing, that's flossing.

King Joe Outa Here!

12. Likes fq13, mcnerney, Ard liked this post

Both my kings, 32.5 and 34.5 lbs, were taken early morning. That first one really surprised me and bloodied my knuckles pretty good before I got him under control.

14. Likes rfb700 liked this post