Flies and/or Supplies for Project Healing Waters and Casting for Recovery (2016)

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
It is time to start a new thread requesting flies for both 2016 Project Healing Waters and Casting for Recovery programs. This will be the fourth straight year we have donated flies and fly fishing materials to CFR and PHW. If you have any excess flies that you would like to donate or are willing to tie up six or maybe a dozen for those two great organizations, that would be wonderful. The flies don't need to be all the same pattern, but they do need to be unused flies. If you can't tie or don't tie flies, we also except fly boxes or other fly fishing related items that would be appropriate as raffle items for the respective retreats.

The Project Healing Waters fly donation will be going to Bob Gartner who is the program lead at Ft Belvoir and was a tremendous help the last two years in getting our flies distributed throughout the country to those PHW's programs in need. Last year our flies were added to the flies generated in the two fly tying marathons that PHW's put on, for a total of 5,000 flies that were distributed around the country. It never ceases to amaze me what a few people can do to help those in need.

We also are planning on donating flies to the Casper PHW program, as well as the Wyoming CFR program, the Virginia CFR program, the Idaho CFR program and the Utah CFR program. If you have a favorite PHW or CFR program and want to donate your flies to them, let me know and I will make it happen. Last year we had 34 forum members who helped out with this project and we were able to donate 246 dozen flies and a ton of fly fishing related items to both of those great organizations. Thanks everyone that helped donate flies, materials and cash!!!!!

If your willing to donate flies or other fly fishing related items to either Project Healing Waters or Casting for Recovery, send me a PM and I will forward my address.

My goal is to have all donated flies, fly boxes, etc to me by the end of April 2016, so I can get them mailed to the respective organizations.

Here is a breakdown of what went where from the 2015 donations that we raised:
This first batch went to the Casper Project Healing Waters program (Casper, WY). They received two lanyards, eight fly boxes and 32 dozen flies:

This second batch went to the Idaho Casting for Recovery program. They received 14 fly boxes from the Uintah Fly Shop, a dozen furled leaders and paste from Cutthroat Leaders, two lanyards, 14 indicators, two forceps, some tippet material, desiccant and 30 dozen flies:

This third batch went to the Wyoming Casting for Recovery program in Dubios, WY. They received 14 fly boxes and little red emergency aid kits from the Uintah Fly Shop, two forceps, two lanyards, a bunch of tippet spools and leaders, and 34 dozen flies:

The fourth batch went to the Utah Casting for Recovery program in Salt Lake City, UT. They received 14 fly boxes and 14 little red emergency kits from the Uintah Fly Shop, two lanyards, two forceps and 33 dozen flies:

This fifth batch went to Bob Gartner at the Ft Belvoir Project Healing Waters program to be distributed to 50 Project Healing Waters programs throughout the country. They received six nippers, four lanyards, some tippet spools, six tippet spool holders, a swede double reel case from Ard Stetts Life on the Line Alaskan Fly Fishing Guide Service and 100 dozen flies:

Here was the second packaged that I mailed to Bob Gartner at PHW, if I counted correctly this package contained 17 dozen flies and $285 in cash donations.

Here is a photo of the individual packages that Jerry (aka hairwing530) donated to both the Utah and Wyoming CFR programs (one fly box and flies were donated to each CFR participant:

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Volunteers for the 2016 PHW and CFR fly and fly material donation:
1. Jpbfly......Donation received!
2. Spm......Donation received!
3. McNerney......Flies completed!
4. Hairwing530 and his cancer kids!!!!!......The Mega Million Fly donation has been received!
5. Bruce m......Donation received!
6. Dc410......Donation received!
7. Wjl......Donation received!
8. Onemississipp
9. Fishiowa......Fonation received!
10. Repperson29
11. 120_grain......Donation received!
12. Bear_007......Donation received!
13. Depenner......Donation received!
14. Liphookedau
15. K_e_v......Donation received!
16. Montanacur......Donation received!
17. Scoutm......Donation received!
18. Unknownflyman
19. Dean_mt
20. Cowger10
21. Little k_e_v......Donation received!
22. GrtLksMarlin......Donation received!
23. Flyminded......Donation received!
24. Nevadanstig
25. Montanacur......Donation received!
26. Sagephreak
27. Rich_a
28. Rockriver......Donation received + a huge second donation!!!!!!
29. Jgentile......Donation received!
30. Tx_newb......Donation received!
31. Troutdoorsman......Donation received!
32. Flyminded......Donation received!
33. S fontinalis......Donation received!
34. Wwpalum......Donation received!
35. Jaybo41......Donation received!
36. Flyfishmich......Donation received!

Last edited:

bruce m

Reaction score
I enjoyed tying some flies for this last year and am very happy to be starting towards that this year, thanks for heading up the forum donations, it's a favorite cause of mine.
Count me in.
I know you're not looking for it but Kudos to you.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

dc410

Reaction score
Larry,

I would like to help the cause. I'll tie up a couple dozen flies that you can use wherever you see fit. I'll get a PM off to you shortly. Thanks for the opportunity to become involved in this project.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Hey Larry,

You can count me in again, as I've been tying most of this year with the approach of "three flies for the orders, one, two or more for the Community/Donation Jar" from which I'll be pulling the PHW/CFR flies. And, if this year's group of "my kids" have their way, there will be some ties from them as well. Despite the challenges they all face each day in battling their cancers, "my kids" see the "Community Jar" as their way of making a difference.

May the Good Lord bless "my kids," one and all, now and always...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Jerry: One of the really fun and enjoyable things about organizing this thread for donations to PHW and CFR is seeing the veterans on this forum supporting other veterans and you and your cancer kids supporting women with breast cancer and our Project Healing Water veterans.......how good is that!!!!! We certainly won't make the evening news, but we will know in our hearts that we supported those in need in some small way. And yes, as you say: "May the Good Lord bless "my kids," one and all, now and always...".

120 grain

Reaction score
My fly tying ability isn't where I would want anyone to see or be presented with my flies yet, but I would like to donate to the project if that is okay.

repperson29

Reaction score
My fly tying ability isn't where I would want anyone to see or be presented with my flies yet, but I would like to donate to the project if that is okay.
120 grain,

I sent my flies last year strictly to aid in the comic relief department.

So all types of flies are needed, even my poorly wrapped excuses :)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

trs

Reaction score
Another way you can donate to Healing waters
If you live in one of the dozen or so states that have Krogers grocery stores,
you can designate them on your Krogers discount card as the beneficiary of your community rewards, and they donate a percentage of what you spend The company also operates as Ralphs, Harris Teeters, Smiths, Frys and alot of other names. Im not sure if they also donate , but it might be worth checking out.

Speaking from personal expierence, I'm the proud possesor of a TFO 9' 5wt Lefty Kreigh Healing Waters edition that was bought this way.

As a person who got his start in fly fishing thru Healing Waters, its impossable for me to put into words my feelings, thanks for all who support this outstanding program.

120 grain

Reaction score
I ended up making a small monetary donation and helping in a small way. Hopefully my ties will improve enough to be able to donate them someday.

L

Liphookedau

Larry.
I'll also join in once again to help PHW & CFR. by the way how many are there usually in each group in Wyoming.
Also earlier in The year I ran into A guy & his wife who also supported The CFR in their state of Colorado.
Brian.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Larry.
I'll also join in once again to help PHW & CFR. by the way how many are there usually in each group in Wyoming.
Also earlier in The year I ran into A guy & his wife who also supported The CFR in their state of Colorado.
Brian.
Brian: Thanks for helping out again with the PHW and CFR donations, I always look forward to seeing your flies and JP's, there's just something special about receiving donations from countries so far away. Each CFR retreat is limited to 14 women, but I don't worry about that. I send flies in batches of a dozen as it is easier to keep track of, besides their fly boxes don't all have to look the same and they will have fun comparing each others fly boxes. We are just heading into winter, so that means you should be starting your warm wx and fishing, best of luck this year, do you have any big trips planned this year?

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
Larry,

Keep me posted on when you need items by and I will get them to you. I am happy to say that we are in current discussion with Reel Recovery. They have asked us to provide leaders for all of their rods. We are now just working out the final details on what types of leaders, etc. It’s not much, but I am so happy to be able to help in any way possible. I am lucky enough to have been invited on their Idaho Trip this coming summer. That should be a blast. Thank you so much for your time and effort. There are many great organizations out there and this is definitely one of them.