Feel Good Winter's Over

bonefish41

Reaction score
Nothing remarkable just made me think I've got the greatest cast after winter's rest...last saturday at the fly shop decided to try out all their 12 wts...had my reel(new "bargain":wink: toy old round hole solid frame, QE2 anchor, abel 4.5N in carib camo) and 12wt cortland tropic plus... it's about 35 degrees...started with loomis glx then glx cc then sage Xi then sage Xi2 then winston MX then scott x2s ...they were all great... tip casting 60-70 feet of line... 12"loops...nice and easy hauls...then after the last try...it dawned on me...it wasn't the rod.... it wasn't me.... it was the line... it was really stiff in the cold but it would turnover and shoot and shoot straight... all I had to do was wait on the back cast and stretch the coils out...for a moment I thought my rotator cuff is like new...my youth has returned...until someone remarked that stiff line sure flies what is it?:)

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Don't you just hate it when you get awoken from a great dream!

You have given me an idea though.
With our Lawsuit happy society nowdays where a person can collect $$ on trivial nonsense.
Can a person sue and collect from the major rod manufacturers? I mean afterall it's not our fault that our rotator cuff's get torn beyond repair, or we get Carpal Tunnel syndrome, it's them gosh darned flyrods that they make us cast year after year!!:wink:

Oh brother, I do need to get out soon......:tongue:

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi bonefish41,

Come on Ray, you must of had a favorite out of that bunch of rods? Inquiring minds need to know.

The Tropic Plus is the only salt water line I have ever used. I tend to find what works and then stick with it.

Frank

bonefish41

Reaction score
Franke:

Under those conditions(including not much wind on the parking lot), for me, any difference was very slight and insignificant. A day on the casting deck might reveal significant differences. If I had to...the old loomis cc three piece was the softest thus loaded easier and was ever so slighly easier...

FlyRichardFly

Reaction score
And a lot has to do with the line! Me, a average or sub average fly caster can cast like a pro with Sharkskin. The Skin seems to cast great with any rod I put it on.

But, like you said, experience is what makes the perfect presentation with any rod.

MrEsox

Reaction score
Guess what, we got more snow up here today...only good part of that is it didnt stick around. Snow geese up here though...plenty of them.

FlyGal

Reaction score
Well, awoke to another winter wonderland scene....Add 6" to the feet remaining to melt....:icon_cry:

Davo

Reaction score
Still snowing here in Jackson Hole as well. But when you consider the only month I have never seen it snow here in 12 years is August, snow in March is nothing!! Except it stays this time of year.:confused: