ever feel you have TO MUCH gear???

adkmountainken

Reaction score
years ago I only had a few rods, set up was EASY for line and the ONE reel I had. now days I have a couple dozen rods, reels and more line then I know what to do with. started getting things out yesterday for trout season so I could match reel, line and rod together, HOLY COW gear overload!!!!! can't make up my mind on which reel to put on what rod and the line fiasco is a whole different story! sometimes I think simple is best but we blew that ship out of the water years ago now I am as confused as a Amish electrician!

plecain

Reaction score
On those occasions when I'm being rational - yes.

The rest of the time - What do you mean "too much gear"?

jaybo41

Reaction score
No. I never feel like I've got too much, though I sometimes feel content with what I've got. Sounds to me like your real issue is getting things dialed in a bit more than they may be now so you'll know which reel with which rod with which line. A spreadsheet will take care of that for you. The trick is updating it when you have incoming tackle.

Vulpes

Reaction score
I feel as if.........this question was satirical. One can never have too much gear.

stenacron

Reaction score
With respect to fly fishing, I own two (2) rod/reel/line combos... 5WT & 4WT... quite manageable.

adkmountainken

Reaction score
Jaybo I think nailed it. 12 day old daughter and 18 month old son will make this year interesting to say the least, my boy Ari will be in the back pack with daddy next week.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I like to pretend that I'm a "collector" :rolleyes: so it's perfectly fine that I have (at least) 5 rods that I've never even cast

It's the 6 pairs of waders that pegs me as a horder :eek:

spm

Reaction score
years ago I only had a few rods, set up was EASY for line and the ONE reel I had. now days I have a couple dozen rods, reels and more line then I know what to do with. started getting things out yesterday for trout season so I could match reel, line and rod together, HOLY COW gear overload!!!!! can't make up my mind on which reel to put on what rod and the line fiasco is a whole different story! sometimes I think simple is best but we blew that ship out of the water years ago now I am as confused as a Amish electrician!
I have been thinking the very same thing. I have rods that haven't been fished in years and every time I get a new one, that just pushes another one to the back of the line. I keep thinking I should get rid some of them, but never do. Oh, well.

Hey, the new Orvis catalog just arrived and they have this dandy new rod ...

steve

Hirdy

Reaction score
Such a subjective topic. It very much depends on your perspective of the situation.

My wife thinks I have too much gear. I think I have almost enough.

Cheers,
Graeme

comeonavs

Reaction score
No. I never feel like I've got too much, though I sometimes feel content with what I've got. Sounds to me like your real issue is getting things dialed in a bit more than they may be now so you'll know which reel with which rod with which line. A spreadsheet will take care of that for you. The trick is updating it when you have incoming tackle.
This is the key, my buddies make fun of my spreadsheet. Ive only got 13 rods and 12 reels so I always look back at the spreadsheet and go

"what goes with what". I have 5 reels spooled with RIO gold, 4 with SA Mastery Trout so its key I remember what is on what reel. Not so much which rod for which reel, but what line is on each reel and what line for what rod.

r reese

Reaction score
I made everything less confusing months ago. I sold everything but the two rods and 2 reels I always went for. All gear vest net and two rods and reels go everywhere I fish now. I go west some and fish tail waters, streams, creeks all with a 7' 4wt and a 6' 2wt. I may be missing something but am having fun and have caught fish 22 inches +. love it. The simpler the better.

gr8outdoorz

Reaction score
I have a rod, reel, & line for every fishing situation I encounter regularly. If that's too much gear...then I guess I have too much gear.

franz

Reaction score
I have two 6 weights, two 5 weights and one 4 weight. It looks like I am out of balance. Time to shop for another 4 weight.

plecain

Reaction score
For two years I kept track of the rods and reels that I used. The idea was that I'd then consult the list and sell off the equipment that I hadn't used.

At the end I even made a list of the to-be-sold equipment.

Then I didn't do anything.

It came down to not wanting the hassle of advertising/negotiating/shipping, maybe dealing with a return or two. It just wasn't worth the trouble to me.

So, I still have it all.

Last edited:

texastroutbum

Reaction score
Fishing habitats will determine whether I have enough arsenals. I have enough for now. Sort of. But if I return to B.C Canada someday, I look forward to getting spey outfits.

el jefe

Reaction score
Dear Esteemed Members Of The Fly Fishing Forum,

For his blasphemous suggestions, I move to ban Adkmountainken immediately and permanently from this honorable board. Furthermore, we identify his IP address so that he can have no additional negative influence on this board under an alias or other assumed name. As President Obama would say, "That's not who we are. That's not our values."

Do I hear a second?

Actually, Ken, I go through these fits and starts myself. Plecain nailed it with the packaging/shipping/return hassles being a deterrent to ridding myself of gear that doesn't get used.

Another thing that I do is go through these acquisition periods, where I lust after the rod more than filling a spot in the quiver, and then I have to re-evaluate my quiver post-binge. That is where I am at the moment. I have some duplicity, and as my preferred fishing destinations change, so do my needs. I rarely walk out into the garage, assess my quiver, and think, "What I really need is a 10' 4-weight for nymphing," and then set out to fill that need. Heck, no!! Instead, I'll get a call from my buddy who works in a fly shop: "Hey, we just took a 389-4 Circa in on trade. Are you interested?" And an hour later I have another 3-weight, which brings the total to five. So then I have to go back and re-adjust, until I start thinking about the hassles involved with selling, and the collection grows.

But if anyone is interested, I have a sweet, lightly used Sage 690/691 TCX (yes, both the Western and full wells grip butt sections) that needs to clear some space...;)

Last edited: