Boot waders, Boots, neoprene booty, something else?

kid_a

Reaction score
Total noob question here, but I'm just starting to get into fly fishing and i'm looking at gear. What should I be looking for re: footwear? I've noticed there are waders with boots built into them, boots, and then "booties" (like the Patagooch neoprene flats booties). Why would I buy one of those over the other? And why cant I just wear a pair of crocks or sandals or something simple with my waders instead of boots? Is it a matter of preference? Are crocks or sandals not functional enough?

For reference, I'm going to be fishing in WI rivers in the summer/fall. So not "too" cold.

Thanks everyone!

plecain

Reaction score
Unless it's so cold I can't stand it, I 'wet wade' - nylon pants and some kind of water shoe. I like Simms RipRap water shoes. I don't wear shorts. Too many biting bugs where I am.

Most people prefer the booties with boots over them when they use waders. For very sandy conditions, like saltwater beaches, the booted variety is better in my opinion. The booted type doesn't give anywhere near as much support and protection as the booties plus separate wading boot does. But, the booted variety is generally cheaper.

Welcome to the club.

kid_a

Reaction score
Thanks! So you wear waders with ripraps, and not waders with boots? Is that what you're saying? Or do you not wear waders at all...

plecain

Reaction score
Should have made it clearer.

Wet wading is water shoes (RipRap) and wool socks and nylon pants. No waders.

When I use waders I use boot-foot waders in sandy areas, like a beach.
Any other time I use waders to keep from freezing, I use separate wading boots with either rubber or felt soles, sometimes with and sometimes without studs.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you have to walk a lot , +1 "the booted type doesn't give anywhere near as much support and protection as the booties plus separate wading boot does. But, the booted variety is generally cheaper."....if you buy good stocking foot waders you will manage to change the boots several times or you can buy boots with different soles.
If you don't have to walk a lot,if you're always in a hurry,if you're lazy...buy bootfoot waders:D

dean_mt

Reaction score
Stocking foot waders are waders with the neoprene bootie attached. You wear wading boots over them. This is the way to go.

The neoprene booties, or socks, sold on their own are for wet-wading as plecain described.

Bootfoot waders have a big boxy rubber boot attached to the wader and are for duck hunters. [poke] ;)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I moved this discussion to the 'General Discussion' threads. You'll get more replies here. Actually the fellows are already onto you and should get you lined out quickly.

Ard

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Bootfoot waders have a big boxy rubber boot attached to the wader and are for duck hunters. [poke] ;)
I've been amazed by how many guys that I've run into this season wearing bootfoots. At least a third. More than I remember seeing in a long time.
I have both myself, reserving the bootfoots for the surf.

I think that you'd realize the importance of "boots" over crocs or sandals the first time you wade a rocky stream.
If you hike at all, you know that sometimes you need heavy boots and on other terrain you can get away with trail shoes or runners.
Well, wading a rocky stream is more like the former rather than the later. Often more severe.
You're always jamming your feet into and between rocks.
Maybe other folks can get away with it, but I couldn't imagine wearing sandals where I fish.

depenner

Reaction score
As a fellow Wisconsinite, I use both stockingfoot waders (with separate boots), and wet wading. Depends on time of year and the water I'm fishing. A lot of our spring creeks can be quite cold year round--therefore waders.

But I also wet wade some smallmouth rivers. For these I use quick dry zip off hiking pants with a pair of water shoes (I like a high top neoprene boot that helps keep sand and little rocks out). I prefer the long pants for the reasons someone else posted--biting bugs (including deer ticks). Also, in WI there are a lot of noxious streambank plants that I prefer to keep away from my skin. When I finish fishing, I zip off the legs and I have shorts to wear home.

david

dean_mt

Reaction score
I think that you'd realize the importance of "boots" over crocs or sandals the first time you wade a rocky stream.
If you hike at all, you know that sometimes you need heavy boots and on other terrain you can get away with trail shoes or runners.
Well, wading a rocky stream is more like the former rather than the later. Often more severe.
You're always jamming your feet into and between rocks.
Maybe other folks can get away with it, but I couldn't imagine wearing sandals where I fish.
Even in the middle of summer when I am wet wading, I always wear boots. Once in a while, if it's just a last light outing close to home I'll wear an old pair of tennis shoes. Never sandles. And I always wear long pants when wet wading, too.

losthwy

Montrose, Co.
Reaction score
Boots over waders is the ticket. Neoprene they still make those? God they are hot. I don't mean sexy hot I mean sweaty hot. You can wet wade depending on the depth, water temperature and of course the amount of body fat. I would like to see someone wet wading the San Juan River in N.M.

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Actual wading boots are the way to go. First and foremost, thats your main line of safety. You'll be surprised how slick a river or stream bed can be. I started with cheap boots my first season. After a broken wrist and cracked patella I learned my lesson, bought some simms, and never looked back. And thats being lucky. You REALLY don't want to take a weird fall and lose conciousness in water.
Secondly, wading boots are designed to be in the water all the time. Boots or shoes that arent, are going to fall apart very quickly.
As for waders, the breathable type with neoprene booties. If its warm enough to wet wade, you can buy just a cheap pair of neoprene booties and still use your normal wading boots.

fisherman209

Reaction score
+1 on the stockingfoot type of waders. It allows you to purchase the type of boot that fits you correctly while purchasing the exact type of waders you want to wear.

runningfish

Reaction score
Wearing sandals you have to be careful with your steps, one mistake and they'll be floating down stream. The only benefit of wearing sandals/crocks while wading is that you can use them as an indicator to exactly remember where you submerged Mr. Sixpack.

I get what you are trying to do and I do wear my watershoes at times, but always use the right gears for the right jobs. The rocks shift and the current push; to twist your ankle(s) is a ....... . I would be very pissed of if I have crawl back to the car with a sprained ankle and losing a sandal.

ten_fiver

Reaction score
I'd say skip the waders for now. I prefer to wet wade if it is at all possible, and having good footwear makes it much more enjoyable.

Sandals/Crocs have pretty inherent shortcomings for wading (I used to wade in Keen/Teva type sandals). First, they don't have very good grip in the water, so slips are pretty common. Second, they lack support. Walking over rocks in the water can end up taking a toll on your ankles. Third, they just love to collect sand and tiny rocks. Fourth, have you even had a sunburn on the tops of your feet?

You can pick up some regular wading boots and neoprene socks for pretty cheap. From there, if you decide to go with some waders you can pick up some stockingfoots and you'll already have the boots to go with them.

troutma99

Reaction score
Though depending on where you fish, sandals could work over waders if you don't want to buy wading boots. If I'm fishing a river without a rapid flow I usually use sandals over stocking foot waders. Trick is to take a pair of sandals with solid straps, so they won't fall off, and get either felt sole bottoms or screw in pegs and attach then to the sole of the sandal for better grip. These work great where I fish, and I saved a lot of money not buying boots. I think I get just as good grip as "real" wading boots.

In the summer I keep the sandals and lose the waders... just wading in sandals and shorts.

That said, there are definitely situations where the added ankle support and sturdiness of a wading boot could help you out. Think about where you are going to be fishing mostly first. But stocking foot over boot foot for waders, in my opinion.

depenner

Reaction score
In the summer I keep the sandals and lose the waders... just wading in sandals and shorts.

That said, there are definitely situations where the added ankle support and sturdiness of a wading boot could help you out. Think about where you are going to be fishing mostly first. But stocking foot over boot foot for waders, in my opinion.
I hated the one time I wet waded in sandals. Had to stop continually to get small stones out.

I use a high-top white water rafting shoe when wet wading. The upper is neoprene and seals around my ankle. The sole has good tread and a toe bumper. They're relatively light and give me the support and protection I want.

david

Last edited:

darkshadow

Reaction score
If it's cold and I need to use waders, then breathables with a stockingfoot is what I roll with. Because I'm hiking more than I am wading, a lighter wading boot is my choice.

But, 90% of the time in SoCal, wet wading is pretty comfortable. I use Simms neoprene wading sock with a gravel guard, and because it feels at times I am jogging upstream in the river, or along its banks, I forego the heavy wading boot and use a 'canyoneering' boot, made by Five Ten. Never again will I wear shorts, thanks to the stinging nettles, poison oak, and the other goodies that one can encounter streamside.

This particular boot has been a game changer for me. (Five Ten SAR Canyoneering Shoe - Men's - Approach Shoes & Boots - Men's Footwear - Footwear :: CampSaver.com) I got them for an amazing price, and if I could, I'd get a second pair. The gripping on these things are phenomenal. In fact, the grip is so good that I need to remind myself to not take it for granted, as I find myself jumping from slick boulder to slick boulder without even batting an eye nowadays. The thick toe box prevents the stubbing of toes, and the boot is high enough on the ankle to provide support. The neoprene construction and the drainage holes will dry the shoe out during the 5 minute walk to the next watering hole.

joeswff

Reaction score
Stocking foot waders are waders with the neoprene bootie attached. You wear wading boots over them. This is the way to go.

The neoprene booties, or socks, sold on their own are for wet-wading as plecain described.

Or the SW beach where sand will get in between the bootie and boot.