Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  23
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Drop Shot Nymphing

FWIW - Here are my thoughts on both:

DROP SHOT RIG – Appears to be an alternate rigging for a Euro-nymphing technique. There is a larger (than normal) amount of weight, casts are short, and flies are lead downstream – like walking a dog – at a pace slightly faster than the current flow. Rig probably works best in small to medium sized rivers, broken currents, and shin to thigh deep water. Key difference here – and Galloup is a big proponent of this – is transferring the weight from the fly (Euro style) to the split shot. There is no floating indicator with this rig.

BOUNCE RIG – As stated previously, this is a NON CASTABLE, specialized rig for conditions that most would view as unfishable. Think of terrible flood conditions following a heavy rain… only it lasts in a constant state from June to October. Two choices, fish elsewhere, or go to the Bounce Rig. The fish are there, they are feeding, and average 14-18 inches… many choose the Bounce Rig. Tjis rig also anchors the flies (like the Drop Shot), but instead of the angler dragging the rig, it relies on an oversized floating indicator to do the work.

Back in PA I nymphed a lot of small streams (8-15 feet wide)… almost never used and indicator… just high-sticked it more often than not, and watched the bow in the leader for indications of a take.
    "Joe"

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring

2. Likes dean_mt liked this post
    Orangevale Ca.(Sacramento) Estes Park Co.

James:
    This is what it says in the on line regs for California.
    2016-2017 Freshwater Sport Fishing Regulations

4. It is unlawful to use any weight directly attached below a hook. I couldn't find any thing on flowing or standing(lake) water. I'm sure you can find many many salmon fisherman on the Sac or AR just a bit out of compliance with slinky's on the bottom.
    Last edited by cmcdhuibh; 11-30-2016 at 04:23 PM.

Since we're resurrecting this, I'll add my experience.

I spent a day on the Green in October with guide Brandon Fellers of Trout Creek Flies using this rig (the picture Stenecron posted as a "bounce rig"). This was fast, deep water with the fish holding near the bottom.

He tied the droppers in above blood knots rather than use tippet rings. I cast it up to 30-35 feet and found it no problem to cast. I could pick it up into a back cast, but for closer casts tended to just drag it towards me to the surface and roll it. It was about 11 feet between the weights and the indicator, so you do have to make a point of getting the rig up to the surface before you can do either, but I do a lot of deep nymphing on lakes, so I was used to that.

Brandon tied the dropper flies on fairly stiff mono, so they tended to stand out from the main leader, so tangles weren't a problem either. I think he was using 4x. I was fishing a 9 1/2 ft rod, so that probably helped, and it's fairly easy to manage a lot of line when standing in the bow of a drift boat, so that helped too. In 4-5 hours of doing this, I think I only had one tangle that didn't sort itself out, and I didn't snag the bottom at all.

What took some getting used to was the constant bobbling of the indicator as the rig bounced along the bottom rocks. You have to filter that out as you watch for an actual strike indication. Brandon used a bunch (11 - 12) of small (#4) shot for weight, and they didn't hang up as much as larger shot would have. I didn't have any breakoffs, but I don't think I caught anything over 18 inches. Did have a bunch of LDRs, but that had to do with my hook setting (and the nature of trout fishing).
    Zackdog lives.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcdhuibh View Post
    James:
    This is what it says in the on line regs for California.
    2016-2017 Freshwater Sport Fishing Regulations

4. It is unlawful to use any weight directly attached below a hook. I couldn't find any thing on flowing or standing(lake) water. I'm sure you can find many many salmon fisherman on the Sac or AR just a bit out of compliance with slinky's on the bottom.
    Just above item 4 is this...

(b) Maximum Gaps and Gear Rigging for Rivers and
    Streams unless otherwise provided (does not apply
    to lakes and reservoirs, the Sacramento-San Joaquin
    Delta (see Section 1.71 for definition of the Delta),
    and the Colorado River).

You can definitely find people not following the rules in many areas where Salmon and Steelhead migrate.

I know some fly fishers who believe that you can get around this restriction by rigging a dropper weight by leaving either a long tag end on the blood / surgeon knot on the tippet just above the fly or use a tippet ring with two tippets one for the fly and one for the weight.

The regs are there to prevent / reduce snag fisherman. I don't know if a warden would ticket for a couple of bb split shot rigged as above.

Regards,

Tim C.

I have been using this technique some and thought Id offer some personal observations/opinions for whatever they are worth...

1. Novice clients tangle the **** out of this rig FAR more than a more traditional approach when they start with it
    2. Once they get it down its deadly on some types of water.
    3. From a moving drift boat, with modification, its useable
    4. Set it up the way Kelly suggests. Using tag ends off blood knots I think stresses the knot into failure - its not made to be pulled that way I guess. Gallops system solves this.
    5. I like it with small flies and a slower action rod a lot more.
    6. This "bounce" system has a place in my arsenal of approaches now. Thanks for all the feedback guys.;
    "Calling Fly Fishing a hobby is like calling Brain Surgery a job."

-Paul Schullery

7. Likes stenacron, Bigfly, dean_mt liked this post
    Blog Entries

Dan, as a fly guide, I feel some responsibility to actually teach it.
    I feel like if all the client did, was drop shot on the day, I failed. Completely....
    If the bottom line is catching fish no matter what.....then it will satisfy a consumer.
    Stenacron called it......the ends justify......

And yes, when you pull on a knot from the side, it is weaker. Force should always direct pull through the middle of the knot for maximum strength.

Jim
    Last edited by Bigfly; 12-16-2016 at 11:23 AM.

9. Likes stenacron liked this post
    Blue Ridge, Rappahanock, Potomac, Salmon River, NY and soon Sandy River, Oregon

Ok I'll be the second guy to apologize for resurrecting this very educational thread. Hopefully, this will be quick and painless. In the drop shot rig set up, whichever name you call it or style you choose, my question is, is there a science or logic to which fly rides closest to the shot and the bottom and which one rides the leg of the setup closer to the surface? I have seen videos of guys demonstrating basically two of the same very woolly streamers, different colors, just different depths in the water column and I have seen some illustrations where there are two mature flies at different depths. I tried this fishing for brookies in the national park a week or two ago and I caught one of the slippery little buggers but I was totally winging it. Basically I went with what I will call in newbie speak the :stages of evolution" logic, lol. I had a small, bright colored bead headed nymph ride low and a stonefly emerger ride closer to the top of the water column. So was I just lucky, was it an actual light bulb coming on moment or is there a better order of battle here, i.e. better than nymph, emerger, spinner, low to high? Is there an answer, i.e. "a" way to rig this type of rig? Thanks.
    Last edited by City Rat; 04-27-2019 at 12:06 PM.
    "To many afflicted Eastern fishermen, the 'Green Drake Hatch' is as irresistible and habit-forming as black jack, whiskey, or easy women."
    Caucci and Nastasi, Hatches II

11. Default Re: Drop Shot Nymphing

if you are breaking off bigger fish you must be rigging wrong . also as far as how old drop-shot is real good worm fisherman have been doing it since I was a small boy , and I am now 77 years old . they would rig with the weight on the point and the worm above enough to keep the worm off the bottom all the while keeping the line tight through the drift.not much new under the sun.

Blog Entries

Blue Ridge, Rappahanock, Potomac, Salmon River, NY and soon Sandy River, Oregon

MMM I am not having a problem with either putting this kind of rig together or fishing it. My question, perhaps not articulated well earlier, is there any rhyme or reason to which flies/nymphs ride low on the rig and which ride higher in the water column. I just decided to rig it using a "stage of growth" low to high kinda logic. My question is that a good way to do it or is there a way that folks have found more productive. Thanks.
    "To many afflicted Eastern fishermen, the 'Green Drake Hatch' is as irresistible and habit-forming as black jack, whiskey, or easy women."
    Caucci and Nastasi, Hatches II

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123