Deschutes River, OR advice

shredfly93

Reaction score
What's up guys,

In the middle of August I was thinking about fishing the Deschutes River in Oregon. Im from the northeast so I don't know much of anything about the river. It's a graduation present for me from my aunt (she lives in Oregon). Any advice about outfitters that guide the deschutes? Bug hatching? Places to stay along the river, etc.?

Thanks for any help!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
If Fred (aka fredaevans) doesn't see your post, send him a pm. He can probably tell you what rock to stand on, as he would say.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
If Fred (aka fredaevans) doesn't see your post, send him a pm. He can probably tell you what rock to stand on, as he would say.
First thank you for the nice compliment, but the Deschutes is my 'second river,' the Rogue is my home river. I can be fishing there 10 minutes from my front door.

But back the the Deschutes; WONDERFUL RIVER, lots of fish, just what time of the year for what (Summer Steelhead - Summer or 'Red Side' trout- all year) and where. Very little in the way of Salmon, but Summer Run Steelhead is a 'Game On' situation. But like all river's the time of the year will (pretty much) dictate where you fish (low or up to Sher. Falls).

That said, not to worry! BLM has a very good road that runs down one side of the river so foot access is (pretty much) any where you want to fish.:fishing: Only area that has restricted access is the Indian Reservation; there you MUST hire one of the Tribal Guides.

As far as camping you're in God's Country on that, BLM has small campgrounds all along the river so just pick one and car camp. Only thing to keep in mind is FEW of them actually have drinking water (or a bathroom for that matter); bring lots of water!!! For camping, for me, its worked to at least one gallon of water (minimum) per day. Road is well maintained by BLM but I'd give it some serious thought if you have a small car. 4x4 is not needed in my experience.

BLM has a very good set of river maps showing (and distance!!) of each of their camp grounds/facilities (if any), etc. Available on line or a nominal fee if you want to purchase same (think about ten bucks).

But as to fishing!!! Fish start showing up, in numbers, about mid-July and run builds for the next three to four months. Early fish low, as the calendar moves forward you can move up stream.

As for gear the Deschutes, dam controled it may be, but it is a BIG RIVER with one of the hardest wading I've ever experienced. Reason for this was the building of the RR's. Blast and cast ... as the rubble into the river. A good solid wading staff is highly recommended. :thmbup:

Only odd off is there are a few Rattle Snakes all be it I've only seen one. I'm not sure who was the more surprised ... me or him. Pay attention as you walk down/off the river; your waders will not protect you. As for 'my snake' I polked him with the tip of my spey rod and he/she wiggled off.

As for which fly, I've had my most success with 'dark' patterns. For me, Purple has been the most consistant colour topped with a touch of white hair of some sort. Bright patterns brought little to My Party. As for lines I recommend a light sink tip or a floater with weighted flies. Odd off is this is the only river (that I can think of) where the fish are not bottom huggers or at least they will come up and chomp your fly. :thmbup:

That said, low in the water collum is always the best way to go. But due to all the rubble on the river bottom (these are BIG chunks of blasted out rock) you don't want to be 'bouncing bottom' unless you've brough a hell of a lot of flies and/or a replacement line.

The only down side of fishing the 'lower' Deschutes is the White River if its tossing silt, which can really screw up the river for fishing. Solution requires driving up stream to get above the bloody thing. For claification, that was a one time affair so I wouldn't let that put you off your game.

Anyway back to where to fish/access. Contact BLM (the maps are also available on line) and get the one(s) that cover the area you want to fish. Where these really help is all of the camp sites are right on the river so, at worst, you have a 100 yard walk to go 'Boots Wet.'

fae

Edit: Forgot about your request for Guides. Many on the river but 'My Guy' is Mark B owner of flyfishusa in Welches, OR. http://www.flyfishusa.com//adventure-trips/adventure-home/av.html

Last edited:

markfrid

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info, Fred. My brother lives in Portland and next time I go visit I'm going to put your good stuff to use!

Mark

fredaevans

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info, Fred. My brother lives in Portland and next time I go visit I'm going to put your good stuff to use!

Mark
If you have the time the other place you want to fish is the North Fork of the Umpqua, think Roseburg, OR. Once you get out of the 'flat land' into the trees total magic. One of the few places I've ever been where I didn't even take the rod off the top of the Jeep.

Doggie-Dogs and I just sat there and watched the water move by. Their reaction, save for Sandy jumping in, was .... 'Pass over that Subway Sandwich and no one gets hurt here.':frogdance

fae

fredaevans

Reaction score
Wow 4,000 for Spey school...
That's totally nuts unless there's a hell of a lot more included as in a 'all in' multi-day float trip. Only, short of Alaska, did one of these (no where near that cost) and a total hoot.

The above broke down to about $300/day/person which, considering where we were, was a 'no brainer.' :D Best yet the other three were all business clients so company paid for the full ride (and my air plane fare).

Long time back now but actually had a mini, but full on, fly tie set up in my office. Mom/'Munchkins' came in to fill out the Mortgage Home Loan Application Line one: 'Your name, etc' and kids and I would sit down and tie some flies.

Some really took to it and were (newbies all?) given a fly rod and a box of my flies when the home loan closed. 'Management':rolleyes: commented on this just once .... 'Do you have any idea how many referals come my way from Realtors with young families?'

Probably pushed the envalope when I started to bring in my Yellow Lab when I figured 'Mom' would have to bring the kids. Kids cuddling Doggie-Dog, wet sloppy kisses on young faces; cuddling, naps. "They're sleeping come bac later and pick them up if you wish." Was 'chalanged' (sp? at 0330) once on that ..."She's a Papered Service Dog, (She actually was) now get out of my face or meet my right fist."

Takes a lot to get my tail feathers fluffed, that exchange did.

Last I heard of that.

Case closed.:D

jaydub

Reaction score
Just a few things to add to Fred’s excellent info.

It can get bloody hot in the canyon, during the day, in August. Bring plenty of water.

Fish for Steelhead early and late, preferably when the sun is off the water. Then switch to trout.

In August it’s likely to be mostly a Caddis show, with maybe a Flav, PED or Yellow Sally thrown in.

The Fly shops in Maupin, Deschutes Angler and Deschutes Canyon, are good sources of information and supplies.

If you’re not camping Maupin has a few lodging options.

The Deschutes Motel is your basic older motel. It’s clean, well run and located up the hill, maybe a couple miles from the river. The walls are a little thin.

The Oasis has some old, small cabins for rent. It’s been awhile since I stayed there, no TV, phone or internet, but not a bad place to flop. The little cafe is cool. Stop in for a milk shake and a burger or for breakfast.

Riverrun lodge has decent rooms with a few more amenities like TV and WiFi.
I have not stayed at Imperial River Co. But they appear to have nice rooms.

Maupin City Park has RV sites.

With any of these options reserve early.