Senator Requires?

fyshstykr

Reaction score
I'm not intending for this thread to be political, but it is about a Senator and a political hot topic. Please keep personal opinion about politics out of it.

Last evening I tried to sign up to follow a website and sign a petition that is on the forefront of the Federal -vs- States rights to control public lands. I filled out the petition with the pertinent information and clicked on the 'next' button and was directed to a page that said Senator ***** "requires" that you fill in the following information so that he can email you directly. I have no desire to give him my information, I do not wish to receive email from him as I do not agree with him or his fellow state representatives.

Is this a normal thing for a Senator to be able to "require" my information for a petition that he and I have differing opinions on? I'm very politically active and have never seen this before. It almost seems borderline illegal to me.

Anyway, if someone can offer some clarification on this it would be appreciated. And please, let's not turn this into a bashing thread or we will delete what we have to.

Thanks.

roadkill1948

Reaction score
Sounds like the petition is/was created by the congressman or someone closely associated with the congressman. I'd say you need to check Utah and/or Federal law about legal requirements of a petition. I seem to remember address being required data on some. Good luck.

plecain

Reaction score
I guess it depends on whether Senator XXX is the sponsor of the petition.
Is he?

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Funny thing is, I did receive confirmation from the site doing the petition, even though I didn't finish the "required" information that came up on the next page where Senator ***** required my info. The website itself is a legitimate site that disagrees with Senator ***** and his opinion.

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 AM ----------

I guess it depends on whether Senator XXX is the sponsor of the petition.
Is he?
He most certainly is not.:)

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Funny thing is, I did receive confirmation from the site doing the petition, even though I didn't finish the "required" information that came up on the next page where Senator ***** required my info. The website itself is a legitimate site that disagrees with Senator ***** and his opinion.

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 AM ----------

He most certainly is not.:)
None of this surprises me one tiny bit.

fae

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi John,

So many of the things that people sign up for on the internet is aimed at getting your Email or other personal information. In this case if you supply your Email address I would expect a request for a political donation.

Frank

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Hi John,

So many of the things that people sign up for on the internet is aimed at getting your Email or other personal information. In this case if you supply your Email address I would expect a request for a political donation.

Frank
Hello Frank, good to see you.

While the various sites looking for funds is nothing new to me either. My concern is more about why my state senator was able to piggy back and "require" me to give HIM my contact information when the whole point of my signing the petition is to oppose his stance.

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Hello Frank, good to see you.

While the various sites looking for funds is nothing new to me either. My concern is more about why my state senator was able to piggy back and "require" me to give HIM my contact information when the whole point of my signing the petition is to oppose his stance.
Whether simply paranoia or not (by today's standards, 25 years ago it was not), I'm a sincere believer that many people sadly, those typically having questionable character are often more concerned with who does not agree with them, as much or more than those who do. What they'll ever do with that information debatable, and how well you can insure your privacy debatable...Yet I'll keep making them work for it rather than just hand it over.

That said, it is very possible so that the Senator doesn't get flooded with petition signees from all over the country, or multiple signatures from a single individual. In the digital age it is very possible to contact thousands in an instant to support your cause even though it has nothing to do with them. So in some way they do need to verify who are his actual constituents so his voting is not swayed by those who he does not serve.

Sorry, but having not seen the site, I can only guess at the ultimate reason.

B.E.F.

el jefe

Reaction score
Two thoughts occur here, at opposite ends.

First, to require that information sounds like phishing to build a contact list.

Second, I don't know how legitimate this internet petition is, but for petitions to be legally accepted to effect some sort of an end (e.g., a recall election), the "signatures" such as they are (on the internet) must be verified. If you remember signing the old door-to-door petitions, you typically have to provide your contact information on those, like address, home phone, etc. Those petitions have to be reviewed prior to action taken. You've heard the stories about Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse signing the petitions just to make the numbers, and it happens. Also, petitions need to reviewed to ensure that folks aren't signing them 7 or 8 times each.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
All my info was given to the site doing the petition, the Senator asking for my information was added afterwards and I didn't give him anything willingly.

You know what folks, I wasn't going to add the site here for fear that some would feel I was trying to push an agenda, but since the question has been brought up about the validity of the group I'm gonna post their link to get opinions on it also. Remember please, whether you support or oppose the Fed -vs- state land battle....please, please be respectful.

Here's the link.
Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership - Guaranteeing You a Place to Hunt and Fish

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi John,

I would probably just contact the senator directly. His office would have my e-mail address then but would have it because I intended it to be so. If you really want someone to know your reasons for opposing something the best way is direct contact with a clear concise explanation for your position. If you are opposed in earnest to something then close the contact message with an invitation to meet at the senators convenience.

Take it to them :cool:

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
John;

Personally, I fell that conservation issues fit right in with the theme and intent of this forum. In that the government has its hands into everything public, "politicians" and politics will always be attached to such issues. It doesn't mean we have to discuss the P-P's *snort chuckle*, but the issue itself pertaining to conservation and the environment, along with access and so on are most certainly forum worthy.

...and if applicable to any of us, perhaps even something we might want to get involved in.

B.E.F.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Personally, I fell that conservation issues fit right in with the theme and intent of this forum
I agree with you and I know many others do too, but in the past I've posted about the subjects of fracking and a bill that was intended to keep access "limited to foot traffic" in area's designated as 'backcountry' and it turned into a literal sh*tstorm so I'm hesitant to bring up such subjects here anymore.

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

Hi John,

I would probably just contact the senator directly. His office would have my e-mail address then but would have it because I intended it to be so. If you really want someone to know your reasons for opposing something the best way is direct contact with a clear concise explanation for your position. If you are opposed in earnest to something then close the contact message with an invitation to meet at the senators convenience.

Take it to them :cool:
If I thought it would make even an iota of difference in his opinion I would do just that, but he and my local congressman are 2 of the leading proponents of shifting control to the states. I'd end up telling him what I think of him and the other fellow and storming out the door.:D

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I agree with you and I know many others do too, but in the past I've posted about the subjects of fracking and a bill that was intended to keep access "limited to foot traffic" in area's designated as 'backcountry' and it turned into a literal sh*tstorm so I'm hesitant to bring up such subjects here anymore.
It's a very relevant issue. Sure there is risk some discussions will go south but I think it is worth it even if if goes bad now and then. The other choice is lock it down safe at all times and we'll have some more threads about nippers, tippet and the outrageous price of the next new fly rod. That gets a little stale after a year or two. It seems the forum traffic has lessened some the past year (probably disinterest in the same ole same).

Back on topic I am glad you are opposed. It smells like industry lobbying for access for business purposes. The State GOV will manage it because they think they will make money, and it will likely end bad. Even if they start with a rational plan, it is just a vote away from doing something completely different. I hope you contact your congressman and let us know how it goes. I think emails and better yet phone calls have a lot more influence than petitions.

JDR

Reaction score
I realize that email addresses are gold these days, but since fyshstykr said his petition went through without the "required" information, maybe there is something else. Though the word "requires" strikes me as odd, it could be to let the the Senator know how many people are in opposition to the bill even before the petition is delivered. If enough angry fisher people gum up his email, he might pay more attention and realize the heft behind the opposition.

Since you don't have to send the petition and since the petition is delivered despite not having the requisite information, I seriously doubt anything is illegal.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I wanted to write my local representives and yes they do require all of your personal information. I figured I'd just give them a call and leave a message.

tcorfey

Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread but at least your senator/representative is interested in the issue albeit not in agreement with you. I once got to talk to my State Representative on several environmental bills and she did not understand what I was talking about. She told me I could write her and a staff member would respond. I did not vote for her the next time around.