Thumbs up to Orvis

ejsell

Reaction score
I've got to give a big thumbs up to Orvis customer service. I broke the sternum strap buckle on my orvis sling pack a couple of weeks ago. I called them to see if it would be possible to purchase just the strap. I was honestly surprised when they said I could just get the strap. The rep had me take a picture and email it to him. 7 days (5 business days) later I received the strap at no charge, not even shipping. Thanks Orvis!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

denver1911

Reaction score
Glad for ya! The only customer service experience, other than typical returned merchandise, was a poor one. My CFO reel handle broke. I tried to get them to send me a new part. could not get a yes or no answer for a few weeks. I finally said, "Look. All I want is the part. I'll fix it if you send me the part. If you won't send me the part, I'll just send it in for a refund per your lifetime guarantee policy. I can then buy one on ebay." They then said, send it in and we'll fix it. Mtook them a while, but they got it fixed. They did a fantastic job.

That said, I consider my experience a one-off and continue to buy Orvis stuff when it's the best option for my need. Stories like yours seem to outnumber stories like mine.

iracmiller

Reaction score
Pocono Pines Pa near the Brodhead/Bushkill/Lackawa
I have always found Orvis CS to be exemplary in the 3 years I've been fly fishing. The latest example: I ordered my wife a 9' 5wt Recon outfit with Hydros Trout Taper Line. Upon arrival, we discovered the reel was spooled with Hydros HD Power Taper, a more expensive 1/2 overweighted, textured line. When I called CS and offered to return it, they told me to keep it since it was already spooled on the reel, and overnighted the Trout Taper. That kind of treatment earns brand loyalty.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Orvis customer service is excellent and generous with current product, less so with older, discontinued equipment. If it requires more than being pleasant and entering sku numbers into their system, if they have to research or explore options as simple as calling the rod shop, is where they slip on their banana peel.

I have the butt half of a terrific 1985 2-pc. 8'9"/#5 Orvis Western leaning against the wall around here somewhere...here it is...one of the best rods Orvis ever built. (It was made long before fancy warranties) They all but laughed at me when I inquired if the rod shop could find or build a new tip section which I would happily pay for.

Orvis has some fine products old and new and I have plenty of their stuff but my view remains...buy and fish the best equipment you can find and afford based on its quality not customer service or warranty.

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 AM ----------

Inspired by this thread and with my half a rod in hand, I called Orvis Rod Repair and managed to get the top representative on the line. Yes, he was familiar with this older Western rod series and had owned and loved the excellent 8'9"/#8 version himself. No, they have not, for some years, been able to build new sections for these older technology rods nor did they stockpile replacement blank sections for future repairs.

It's OK, I have lots of rods. But back in the mid 1980's this 8'9"/#5 I considered superior to the Scott G, Loomis IM6 and Winston WT rods of that time, it replaced my earlier Scott which I loved too...the best rod in its day was my opinion. Sure, a couple of years latter Sage introduced RPL and then Loomis came out with GLX and everything in fly rods changed. But I still revere this old Orvis and wish I could fish it from time to time for old times sake.

esearing

Reaction score
On his 3rd fishing outing my son slipped and fell and snapped the bottom half of my 20 year old TLS 843-2 tip flex. Sent it to Orvis for repair, which they could not do.
Orvis offered me the Access rod at no costs OR the option to upgrade to the Helios2 at about half price.

They are making me a new Access rod and even gave me the option to make it in a different line weight 905-4 tip flex. And the warranty starts all over.

That is service above and beyond.

Last edited:

denver1911

Reaction score
S&S's comments probably explain the response I got woth my old CFO reel. Still, I consider my poor experience a one-off.

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
Glad for ya! The only customer service experience, other than typical returned merchandise, was a poor one. My CFO reel handle broke. I tried to get them to send me a new part. could not get a yes or no answer for a few weeks. I finally said, "Look. All I want is the part. I'll fix it if you send me the part. If you won't send me the part, I'll just send it in for a refund per your lifetime guarantee policy. I can then buy one on ebay." They then said, send it in and we'll fix it. Mtook them a while, but they got it fixed. They did a fantastic job.

That said, I consider my experience a one-off and continue to buy Orvis stuff when it's the best option for my need. Stories like yours seem to outnumber stories like mine.
Most reel companies are like this as well in my experience. I think their thinking is not everyone is mechanically inclined so they may end up wasting money sending parts that may or may not fix the problem. To you and I a reel is a simple machine, but working at a shop I have seen some crazy stuff done to reels by people that didn't have a clue.

denver1911

Reaction score
Most reel companies are like this as well in my experience. I think their thinking is not everyone is mechanically inclined so they may end up wasting money sending parts that may or may not fix the problem. To you and I a reel is a simple machine, but working at a shop I have seen some crazy stuff done to reels by people that didn't have a clue.
My issue was not that they wouldn't just send the part, but that they wouldn't tell if they would or not. Took them several weeks before they just said no. Anyway, in the end, the old reel handle was not only replaced, the reel was fully cleaned inside and out and properly lubricated. If they'd just have said, "send it in" to start with.

littledavid123

Reaction score
I called Orvis about some guide measurements for an old Far & Fine and they found them for me. Also asked if they had any blanks for the F&F in stock and said no but took my number in case they located one. Two weeks later I get a call from Orvis saying they had found a blank in the back of their retail store and would sell it for the original price of $150...SOLD. After I got the blank I called again to inquire about the old down locking reel seats and they put me on hold for a minute and then told me there was a guy in the back who could still do it and for $75 dollars they would fit it with handle and guides.

I shipped the blank back to them in a old Orvis case that had a metal tag on the end saying Western Series. When I got the completed rod back Orvis had put the original stamping on the rod butt piece and left the date off because no one knew when it was built. They also took the Western Series plate off the case and replaced it with a new engraved Far & Fine. I think Orvis's customer service for old rods is excellent. :)

Dave

justhrowit

Reaction score
I've broke my fare share of Orvis rods. Really, over the last 3 years, I don't care to give an exact number, but it's higher than 5. I managed to bust up an 8wt and 5wt on the same weekend. One was my fault, the other a small defect in the butt of my Recon. An issue came up gain with my Recon, and I feel like it's related to the first issue. I have three Orvis retail locations near me, so it's so darn easy to bring it to them, and just drop it off. They've always been great. It's frustrating to break a rod, but it happens. Glad that Orvis steps up to the plate to help customers. I find that true with other rod manufacturers. I've also snapped a TFO and a Redington and have had similar CSR experiences.

J

esearing

Reaction score
5 weeks later as Orvis indicated, I just got my new Access 905 rod back from repair which replaces the TLS 3wt. I paired it with a new Orvis Access II Reel which just went on sale with the Orvis Access Trout 5wt fly line.

I took it out to the yard and compared it to my TFO Mangrove 6wt and an old White River Dogwood Canyon 4wt.
I can cast the Access farther and straighter than the other two. I may have to give the Recon and Carbon a second look when I go to buy my next rod.

bill_s

Reaction score
In the next year I will purchase my first mid priced fly rod. From the posts here I have gained insight into which company to choose. I most likely will select Orvis.

The reasons are:

1) The high degree of customer satisfaction with their service.
2) Their products seem to be respected and have good value.
3) I appreciate their comprehensive web site, which has excellent content on fly fishing, tying and equipment. It is a very helpful web site.
4) Their pod casts are of value and appreciated.

It seems the company offers a complete package of a good product, service and communication with its customers. It seems to me a company which has earned my purchase.

ivory arrow

Reaction score
I love the podcast, the history behind the company, and I have learned a lot from them.

Unfortunately the only experience I had with them was a spool of the worst tippet material I have ever owned. I complained to the guy at the fly shop thinking it might be an old spool. He just frowned and said "Yeah... I don't use really use Orvis products, but they are a top seller."

The way he said it made it seem like he was implying they use their name to overcharge for subpar stuff to people who don't know any better. I hate to think that because I still love the podcast and stuff the company does for fly fishing.

I was/am just getting into real fly fishing and the whole experience- the dozen flies I left in the mouths of poor fish, and the salesman's response to that really soured me on them.

It was just one experience, but that is how life goes. When you try something and you think it is garbage you don't look into their other products.

They say they have a new and improved tippet out now but I'm definitely not buying their tippet material again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Ivory Arrow;

Even though I've read the reviews, ratings and shootouts, simply for ease of finding it when I started, I've exclusively for #x sizes used Orvis SuperStrong and just began a couple years ago playing with their Mirage. That includes using their tapered leaders of all sizes.

Frankly, I've never had a problem with it of any kind. What exactly was the problem you were having?...Beyond that though, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts the response you would hear from Orvis C.S. would be dramatically different then what you heard from that store.

B.E.F.

ivory arrow

Reaction score
I have thought about sending them an email or something, but I never did. I figured it would be up to the fly shop to do something.

I didn't want to tell Orvis what fly shop because frankly I understand if a good bit of his customers want Orvis stuff and he wants to offer it. He has Orvis endorsed guides, and he wants to offer their products to people who want them, but not necessarily recommend them when people ask about them. I am not trying to get anyone in trouble and I am sure Orvis doesn't appreciate him giving his true opinions. But as a shopper I do appreciate his true opinions about products they offer.

As for the tippet it was unbelievably weak. It would snap at the knot all the time. I would tie and test half a dozen knots before one would hold. Then the overall strength wasn't great either. Broke in the middle under tension too.

Seemed like old line, but like the guy said it is one of their top sellers, and it is a super popular fly shop in a busy area. There is no way that line sat on the shelf for years and went bad.

I switched to Rio, which is cheaper. One of the cheapest. I have had no issues at all with it, but I am easy to please.

Last edited: