Wow, I am jealous.

Mrtrout

Reaction score
Just watched this, I'd sell my grandmother for a day on there.
[ame]http://youtu.be/9AQjOmsBoAY[/ame]
S.

Last edited by a moderator:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
That was great thanks!

Idaho has some pretty spectacular spring creeks, here is probably the most famous:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niu_Br7i7O0[/ame]

The Missouri isn't a spring creek, but it offers awesome dry fly fishing below Holter dam.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPWiIvwM1vQ[/ame]

dean_mt

Reaction score
That is definitely a private creek. But you could pay to fish one, and it wouldn't cost you your grandmother - a couple hundred bucks though.

mikew1959

Reaction score
Nice vid.
I'm surprised how much slack that guys keeps between his rod tip and the water. I grew catching fish of that quality always was taught to keep the rod tip in the water or 1"-3" above it.

He would miss a ton of hook sets fishing for bass like that.

Mrtrout

Reaction score
Brilliant clip Larry, watched it twice. :cool:
S.

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------

That is definitely a private creek. But you could pay to fish one, and it wouldn't cost you your grandmother - a couple hundred bucks though.
Got ta get there first Dean, I'm in the UK, but it looks worth it.
S.

mikew1959

Reaction score
Just watched this, I'd sell my grandmother for a day on there.
I'd buy your Grandma and take you fishing for Bass in south TX on Private water where they use fish like that for bait.

As long as she would cook me three meals a day,keep the house clean,do my laundry and clean my hogs and deer.
:D

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
You would like the driftless then. I like rivers bigger the better. We always want what we don't have.:fishing:

boisker

Reaction score
Completely agree Mr.T..... Too many rivers, in too many countries, not enough money and not enough time!
States is going to be my 50th trip in 3 - 4 years time... Probably Montana, but still not really sure, there's too much choice:D
The silver creek outfitters vid is one of my favourite fishing vids, great story and the old fella and the guide just seem to have a blast.... And Jeez some of the shots of the river and fish rising... Unbelievable...
Off to South Island NZ this coming Feb for a month (holiday with as much fishing as possible without ending up divorced:D).... Then a a few years to start daydreaming about Montana....
But before all of that still two months trout season left....

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I'd buy your Grandma and take you fishing for Bass in south TX on Private water where they use fish like that for bait.

As long as she would cook me three meals a day,keep the house clean,do my laundry and clean my hogs and deer.
:D
If you are taking offers.....

Driftless Brown trout, I won't make Grandma clean any wild game if she can cook. She's a Grandma so of course she can cook. :)

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
There needs to be someone who dumps on a video like this and I'll take on the job.

Let me explain, I only made it as far as where they are showing the fly box filled with rubber legs, foam and what look like glow bug yarn flies and I stopped there.

Yes I tie shank flies in outrageous colors for salmon. I even use Crystal Flash and tinsel on some but salmon flies have always been gaudy creations and I try to remain within certain parameters.

I never fished a private spring in Montana but spent hundreds of hours on some of the best in the East, Pennsylvania in particular. I reached a point fairly early in my life as a fly fisherman where I accepted that 'it' isn't just about catching fish. It's about traditions and personal challenge and also about taking in the entire scope of the day and area.

I could never tie one of those things to my leader. If the fish will not take a Henryville or a BWO or something that actually reminds me of a fly suited to a brown trout on a spring creek then I guess I would get skunked and I can live with that.

Times change, I get that. Changing times are why I tie and offer Tubes, Shanks and cone heads to anglers who fish with me. Changing times are why I switched from braided lead heads to T-11 because modern anglers are accustomed to T-11 sink tips not 30 year old technology in a braided lead head.

Honest fellows, I could never open a fly box filled with those puffs of foam and poly yarn while attired in Tatter Sail casual shirts and fish a classic spring creek. I often keep thoughts to myself so you don't think I'm a butt head but every now and then I let something out. I don't know if I'll ever get to fish on my old haunts again but if I do, for better or worse I'll be dressed in my olive drab and wax cotton if it rains. I'll use traditional flies not hot pink so I can see them, and I'll be happy just to be there.

I'm just not a fly fishing video rockstar kinda guy I guess.

Sorry but now you know.......................

mikew1959

Reaction score
There needs to be someone who dumps on a video like this and I'll take on the job.

Let me explain, I only made it as far as where they are showing the fly box filled with rubber legs, foam and what look like glow bug yarn flies and I stopped there.

Yes I tie shank flies in outrageous colors for salmon. I even use Crystal Flash and tinsel on some but salmon flies have always been gaudy creations and I try to remain within certain parameters.

I never fished a private spring in Montana but spent hundreds of hours on some of the best in the East, Pennsylvania in particular. I reached a point fairly early in my life as a fly fisherman where I accepted that 'it' isn't just about catching fish. It's about traditions and personal challenge and also about taking in the entire scope of the day and area.

I could never tie one of those things to my leader. If the fish will not take a Henryville or a BWO or something that actually reminds me of a fly suited to a brown trout on a spring creek then I guess I would get skunked and I can live with that.

Times change, I get that. Changing times are why I tie and offer Tubes, Shanks and cone heads to anglers who fish with me. Changing times are why I switched from braided lead heads to T-11 because modern anglers are accustomed to T-11 sink tips not 30 year old technology in a braided lead head.

Honest fellows, I could never open a fly box filled with those puffs of foam and poly yarn while attired in Tatter Sail casual shirts and fish a classic spring creek. I often keep thoughts to myself so you don't think I'm a butt head but every now and then I let something out. I don't know if I'll ever get to fish on my old haunts again but if I do, for better or worse I'll be dressed in my olive drab and wax cotton if it rains. I'll use traditional flies not hot pink so I can see them, and I'll be happy just to be there.

Hey Don't feel alone...I was raised by elitists..you fished a dry fly or you your some kind of low life...streamers....they let you slide sometimes..nymphs don't even come back into camp with that story.

Then I grew a brain and had my own opinions...I'll do just about anything now days as long as I'm having fun and catching fish on a fly rod.

Don't give it so much thought.

I fished the Eastern High Sierras most of my life...3/4 of the fun was the scenery taking my breath away and bringing tears to eyes..catching fish was just the icing on the cake. Or if your a Redneck like me now...the Gravy on the Biscuits.

ia_trouter

Reaction score

Ard

I know the new trends torment you some. After fishing with you the past couple years I know you try to keep it as traditional as possible and still keep your game on a very high level as a professional for hire should . While prepping for an upcoming pike, musky and bass trip I looked in my box last week and it was filed with the latest synthetic hair streamers, silicone rubber legged skirts and all the wild colors pike love. They aren't flies to me, just 8" plastic lures light enough to throw with a huge flyrod. The hooks are expensive so I seriously took a razorblade to my pike box. Tied 40 new flies this week. Fur and feathers like it supposed to be. I'll have to be forgiven for the dye and a bit of flash but pike and musky just aren't as nostalgic as I am. But I can catch them on fur and feathers even if it's just a little harder.

We all draw our own lines, but there needs to be a line somewhere or we're just chucking gear with a fly rod. I'm sure many of my friends here will disagree and I am completely OK with that.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
We all have our own ideas about flies and opinions on how it should be done. It's not right or wrong but what we can live with.

Personally I'd rather spin deer or moose for a skater and not use foam, but I love my flash and craft fur.

Glad to see there are some traditionalists left. I like synthetics and use them but sometimes I just can't. It's got to be fur and feather.

I respect tradition I love our rich history but can't always follow it. I'm ok with that. I also like my high tek lines and rods.

Sigh, I'm a modern cave man, but still a cave man.

B

blackbugger

The flies in question are all hopper patterns near as I can tell.

Hoppers are a big deal in Montana and people have been fishing foam patterns for about 30 years now.
Hoppers are flies suited to brown trout on any creek or river in Montana and pretty much everywhere else in the Rocky Mountain west.

If you were to open just about anyone's fly box in Montana during hopper season you would pretty much see the same thing.

Tradition? Where does that start and end?
How many of you out there are fishing bamboo, cat gut and horse hair?
Graphite and Boron are certainly non-traditional. Hell even fiberglass, which is now experiencing a weird sort of renaissance, is pretty much a modern technology.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
The flies in question are all hopper patterns near as I can tell.

Hoppers are a big deal in Montana and people have been fishing foam patterns for about 30 years now.
Hoppers are flies suited to brown trout on any creek or river in Montana and pretty much everywhere else in the Rocky Mountain west.

If you were to open just about anyone's fly box in Montana during hopper season you would pretty much see the same thing.

Tradition? Where does that start and end?
How many of you out there are fishing bamboo, cat gut and horse hair?
Graphite and Boron are certainly non-traditional. Hell even fiberglass, which is now experiencing a weird sort of renaissance, is pretty much a modern technology.
It's a slippery slope whenever we discuss things of this nature. For many I suspect "traditional" is what gear was commonly used about the time you personally began to fish. I don't have any problem with what others care to use. Whether it be bobbers, or an artsy Abel reel. I don't care to fish like Ike Walton either. But fly fishing has been about fur and feathers since the beginning as far as I know. That is what my fly box is going to approximately look like. My large rods will cast most lures or live bait if this is only about making it as easy as possible to catch fish. For me that isn't what it's about. In the end most all of us do draw a line somewhere or it ceases to look much like fly fishing.

It's an internet forum where it's OK to offer our opinions, and I will continue to throw mine out there. Even if I get beat up a little for doing it. I'm quite aware my argument is about as airtight as a screen door.

What I'm really trying to say is all you gear chuckin park fishers keep doing what you please if it's legal.

Kidding, just trying to keep it light. :)

Last edited:

boisker

Reaction score
I generally use traditional'ish... Materials, but not exclusively; but >95% of my time I fish dry with 14-22 size hooks; like others I don't mind what others do at all, but for me trying to cast to rising trout is what I enjoy most.
I do occasionally nymph and very occasionally try other 'darker arts':p.... Last winter I even had a bright pink squirmy wormy fishing in coloured water for grayling... I showered for ages when I got in but couldn't quite remove that 'dirty' feeling:D

k_e_v

Reaction score
Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your
I really enjoy Todd Moen's videos. Extremely well done.
I would even like to see a piece about how he shoots these and the technical aspects of getting those perfect shots

Great things to watch with coffee in the morning on a rainy Saturday

kev