The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  58
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 09-05-2016, 10:01 AM

yikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant future
Default When does "summer" fishing end for you?

Here in So Cal we have no concept of "fall" except that Pumpkin Spice Latte goes on sale everywhere.
Meanwhile, my friend who moved to Wisconsin who says if he doesn't get his boat off the lake and stored by Labor Day, he's screwed.

Do you all keep fishing? Or do you switch to hunting or other sports?
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes bigjim5589, hairwing530 liked this post
Old 09-05-2016, 10:32 AM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When does "summer" fishing end for you?

October in Iowa. We often get 90 degree days in early SEP. I usually head to WI and MN after Labor Day and am doing so in a week. The warm water species put on the feed bag. Some years I kill it. Some years I have an inch of sleet in my boat and spend a little time in the lodge bars wondering what the hell I was thinking. Hunting draws the crowds off the water and I prefer that. Then back home for fall Driftless trout streams. Incredibly beautiful when the leaves turn and the streamside brush dies back.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes banjominnow, bigjim5589, hairwing530 liked this post
Old 09-05-2016, 10:34 AM

bigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond repute

When I still lived in MD, it would depend on the weather, and how cold it got. We had some winters that were mild enough we fished all winter, even though some of it was dunking bait for catfish. Sometimes we had to wait until later in the day, after the skim ice had melted, but we still went fishing. We had some days we could cast flies, as it would warm up enough to get the panfish & bass active.

This past winter was my first living here in SC. It got cold enough to freeze, but not many days of it. I was still cutting my grass on New Years day. I'm sure I could fish all winter here. Not always with a fly rod, but enough.

Actually, my summer fishing stopped earlier this summer. It gets hot here, and we had a few weeks thru July & August in the upper 90's & 100's so I haven't been fishing much. My job has also limited my fishing, but when I was home, it was too hot to want to get out there. Still getting quite warm during the day, but the early mornings last few days have been real nice, so I'm now giving some hunting & fishing a lot of thought.
Likes ia_trouter, hairwing530, allen1958 liked this post
Old 09-05-2016, 10:40 AM

scotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond repute

For me in Colorado, I'd like to say it's when the rubber hatches are done for the season, but that's not entirely true. It's when the rivers and streams are low, and it becomes a hunt for the deep runs and pools.

But here in Colo. the seasons can be a little off. I was on Pikes Peak yesterday, and it had it's first snow a few weeks ago. Even though it looked nice with it's snow, I'm not ready.
Likes bigjim5589, hairwing530, Dave Penny liked this post
Old 09-05-2016, 11:14 AM

planettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes View Post
Here in So Cal we have no concept of "fall" except that Pumpkin Spice Latte goes on sale everywhere.
Meanwhile, my friend who moved to Wisconsin who says if he doesn't get his boat off the lake and stored by Labor Day, he's screwed.

Do you all keep fishing? Or do you switch to hunting or other sports?
Ummm...when it starts to look like this, up 395:

Click the image to open in full size.

...and the Baetis and Fall Grannom are popping on waters from Bishop - North...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 6 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 09-05-2016, 11:45 AM

weiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to all

I have no line between one season and another except these two seasons:
1 When I can fish for trout January 1 through October 15), and
2 When I can't fish for trout (October 16-December 31).
Tactics change consistently as the season progresses, but to me, it's one season.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 09-05-2016, 11:53 AM

james w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
Ummm...when it starts to look like this, up 395:

Click the image to open in full size.

...and the Baetis and Fall Grannom are popping on waters from Bishop - North...

PT/TB
Great picture! When that starts I'm doing the most, and best, fishing of the year!! Around mid-September the northern Sierras are where you will find me using most of my vacation days. Once it snows hard enough that it doesn't all melt off by mid-afternoon I retreat to the foothills and valley waters for the rest of the year.
Especially on my favorite lakes, the big fish seem to go wide open feeding once the water temps really start to drop.
I feel sorry for the guys who have to hang it up during winter, or risk frostbite to fish.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:57 AM

labradorguy has a brilliant futurelabradorguy has a brilliant futurelabradorguy has a brilliant futurelabradorguy has a brilliant futurelabradorguy has a brilliant futurelabradorguy has a brilliant futurelabradorguy has a brilliant futurelabradorguy has a brilliant futurelabradorguy has a brilliant futurelabradorguy has a brilliant futurelabradorguy has a brilliant future

When does "summer" fishing end for you?

When the ice gets too thick for me to slam a Sculpzilla through it.
"In Heaven the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, and the women are Italian. __________________ In Hell the police are German, the cooks are British, the cars are French, and the women are Italian...."
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 5 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 09-05-2016, 12:01 PM

itchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond repute

Being close to three borders and two of which offer fishing beyond Oct 15th... my season never really ends... it just slows down a little
Old 09-05-2016, 12:18 PM

unknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant future

I was foul hooking floating leaves yesterday. It's early fall.
Likes bigjim5589, weiliwen, hairwing530 liked this post