Relying On Your 'Apps';

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I've read many posts regarding the use of modern technology and the use of smart phones. Downloading maps and etc. Recently I took a fellow moose hunting, this required a camp being established from which we departed every morning & evening to search for Bullwinkle. The location was as you might expect an area where I knew 2 things about it. There were plenty of moose signs and very few = no people hunting there.

The hunter had everything you could dream of and maybe more but when it came time to double check the range regulations to be sure we were heading for areas each day which were open for harvest he was relying on a smart phone............. :eek:

Naturally there was no clear signal where we were at and the ability to download the AK. Game Reg's was not there. Fortunately there was an old guy there who had a hard copy of regulations and areas, that was me.

We covered a lot of miles, enough to produce leg cramps on the second night but cows and calves were all we saw. The trip did provide sightings of innumerable eagles, king fishers, river otters and even a seal who was pursuing a late pod of silver salmon that I was fortunate enough to get a glimpse of as they passed in shallow waters. Fall colors were ascending on the river valley and the weather remained clear albeit for a few showers.

This was meant just to be a tip; be sure to have paper maps, reg's and etc. rather than develop tunnel vision and assume the phone will be all you need.

Ard

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Good and true post!

I'll need to get a cell-phone first before I'll know what you're talking about...and I plan on doing that...About the time they stop making paper, loadstones and steel :shades:
Oh, and semaphore flags, and signal mirrors, oh and...

B.E.F.

steved53

Reaction score
Amen! I don't "count" on electronic technology for anything, especially if it has to do with my well being!

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Yarmouth, Maine/August 30, 2016/

Garmin International (NASDAQ: GRMN) today announced that it will continue with the long-term manufacture and sale of the venerated DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer product line, which Garmin acquired as a part of its purchase of substantially all of the assets of DeLorme, a privately-held company founded in Maine in 1976.

With a dedicated cartography staff and an extensive library of map data and related software, the Yarmouth-based team produces Atlases and Gazetteers for all 50 states.

“As a part of the acquisition earlier this year and subsequent integration efforts, Garmin recently completed its analysis of DeLorme’s Atlas & Gazetteer business. We have concluded that these venerated, highly respected products will not only remain as a part of Garmin’s offering, but will continue to be enhanced in the coming months and years,” said Ted Gartner, director of corporate communications for Garmin.

“Because the DeLorme name is so well-known and closely associated with the unique feature set and style of the Atlas & Gazetteers, which combines digital cartography with human editing, the product line will continue under the same iconic brand and familiar appearance. Furthermore, we will be revising and updating the atlas series in the coming years, by investing in additional resources and cartography staff based in the Yarmouth facility, formerly the DeLorme headquarters,” Gartner added.

DeLorme paper atlases continue to be in strong demand, even as digital alternatives continue to proliferate, because many people are discovering there is no substitute for a traditional atlas in making the most of their family road trip, hunting adventure, relocation planning or business travels. DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteers are unique in that they combine the latest digital technology with human editors to verify travel information and map details, ensuring clarity and accuracy.

The gazetteer section provides summaries of hundreds of recreational activities, including where to fish, bike, and canoe, as well as museums, parks, trails, campgrounds, and numerous outdoor and family adventures. These activities are cross-referenced and symbolized on the atlas pages as well as indexed for convenience.

DeLorme atlases will continue to be sold in major retailers and bookstores, as no major distribution changes are anticipated. At the end of 2016, however, direct online sales of atlases will move from delorme.com to garmin.com.

dwizum

Reaction score
Heck, even here in civilized new york state, I often find myself fishing in areas with zero cell signal.

I still keep my phone at hand, mostly because it makes for a very compact, yet high quality camera.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
For myself, it's practically a rule that wherever I go fishing needs to have zero cell reception.

And I've been fishing/hunting with friends that actually thought their phones were acceptable navigational devices in these places. The looks on their faces when their phones failed to perform/ran out of batteries/etc. was almost as funny as when they couldn't find north without their electronics. Much less where the truck was parked.

As my father (former RoK Marine Capt.) told me many decades ago: when you walk into the wilderness, bring a good map and a compass. And know how to use both. Or don't go.

Peace.

JoJer

Reaction score
My favorite is the Benchmark Road and rec maps. Tho I do still have a '92 DeLorme here by the desk. It's good to have a different book, with the folds in different places.
It might just be that I like the one over the other because one has fewer folds coinciding with the places I go.

darkshadow

Reaction score
Can't you download the current regs and keep them as a PDF in your phone? And then download any addendum that are made throughout the year?

God knows if I grab the "latest regs" from my local shop, i'd be up Excrement's Creek if the local warden showed up since the regulations would not be the updated ones.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Can't you download the current regs and keep them as a PDF in your phone? And then download any addendum that are made throughout the year?

God knows if I grab the "latest regs" from my local shop, i'd be up Excrement's Creek if the local warden showed up since the regulations would not be the updated ones.
You have me thinking that you were not fishing or hunting before smart phones were invented with that question, no offense meant.

I believe that if your department of fish & game issue a regulations booklet and you purchase a license and take a copy with you.............. It may be hard for a wildlife enforcement officer to make a charge last through a court hearing.

Here F&G has instituted a system they call 'E.O's. These are emergency orders and they regard fishing regs. I can't speak for private residential fishermen but guides & outfitters are expected to routinely check the E.O's. for your region. I'm not sure what would happen if you were fishing and an EO came out and you were unaware of it and you were checked by a Trooper.

Basically I have few worries because no one fishing with me has killed a fish in the past five years. If you are a C&R fly only fisherman there are very few E.O's. that can affect you.

yikes

Reaction score
I grew up with USGS maps and a compass, but I currently use the "Topo Maps" app on my iPhone. You can pre-load the maps, so they are accessible whether or not you are in range, and of course it syncs with GPS which does not require cel access.

nevadanstig

Reaction score

You can do the same with maps, too. Sounds more like someone just didn't understand how to actually use that nice new modern device.

---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 AM ----------

You have me thinking that you were not fishing or hunting before smart phones were invented with that question, no offense meant.

I believe that if your department of fish & game issue a regulations booklet and you purchase a license and take a copy with you.............. It may be hard for a wildlife enforcement officer to make a charge last through a court hearing.

Here F&G has instituted a system they call 'E.O's. These are emergency orders and they regard fishing regs. I can't speak for private residential fishermen but guides & outfitters are expected to routinely check the E.O's. for your region. I'm not sure what would happen if you were fishing and an EO came out and you were unaware of it and you were checked by a Trooper.

Basically I have few worries because no one fishing with me has killed a fish in the past five years. If you are a C&R fly only fisherman there are very few E.O's. that can affect you.
I know out here, specially on the cali side, regulations can shift and change constantly. Good luck trying a "it just changed, I didn't know" defense to stick, you'd be up the nasty creek without a paddle so to say.
That being said, I've always been a check the regs and know them before you go kind of guy.

darkshadow

Reaction score
No offense taken!

I grew up fishing in both types of environments, so I have experience in the 'analog' age and now the 'digital' age.

I started fishing in the mid 80s during the time where all we had to go as far as directions went was the beat up coffee stained Rand McNally under the car seat in conjunction with the hastily written map on the back of a cocktail napkin given to you by your friend the night before. As we took off, we hoped that Rand MCNally was right, and the route we had plotted didn't contain any road closures. We plotted our path, hoping that it was the quickest one (never was), but we could never really tell and so we took off.

This day in age? Things have changed a bit.

The Rand McNally under passengers seat has now been replaced by Google Maps on my phone. Of course, a printout of the route, step by step directions, and possible detours just in case are always inside the glove compartment (courtesy of Google Maps and my printer the night before, sorry Mr. Rand.) This, of course, is just in case a lightning bolt strikes my phone, the dog tosses my phone out the window, or a paranormal presence drains the power to my battery. But, when it is powered (which is most the time), my phone makes me feel that the days in 1985 are a lot different than the times we live in now. Let me explain....

1. Let's say yesterday on September 13, 2016, the river was flowing great. But hey, since I have the ability to do so now, I'll go ahead and check on a river's live flow today on the 14th, at this very moment in time. (1985? Good luck) Oh, is it now blown out because they released the flood gates at the dam and it'd be worthless to travel 3 hours? Well, damn. We can now research another location completely, perhaps make a few calls, and change our destination all on the fly all without having to pull over and dig up the Rand McNally and have someone in your backseat argue that his friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who got a telegram that said that Ferris caught a 31" last night in that same spot.

2. Once we get on the road, everyone has that person in your crew who doesn't like McDonald's coffee and insists on being a coffee snob and needing Starbucks lest they turn into a meanie throughout the trip? Plot a Starbucks on the way to your location, and you don't have to hear about how the music sucks and how the AC is too cold from your friend throughout the trip.

3. After getting them Starbucks, you find that your friend is allergic to almond milk and has left his $600 Epipen at home. Now you can find an emergency room on the way to your fishing location, drop him off, and continue on your way. Just make sure you take a selfie and upload it to Instagram as proof that you dropped him off.

4. Hey, you can now call your other friend (not a coffee snob) to see if he wants to go instead. If it's still 3 am, you can now text him instead of actually 'ringing' him so his wife doesn't wake up to a ringing rotary telephone in the middle of the night.

5. While you're driving, you can now buy your anaphylactic friend who you just dropped off at the local hospital a "Get Well Card" from Amazon, and get it delivered to him the same day. He will thank you later, hopefully in some hand tied flies.

6. An 18-wheeler just spilled its load of potatoes and the freeway is now blocked completely. No worries, Google Maps just learned of the accident almost immediately, and now is rerouting us around the problem, while calculating a new ETA. Analyzing traffic patterns live as we are driving is also a nice feature.

7. Because of the reroute, your buddies are now yelling at you to step on the gas, but Google Maps, in conjunction with my Waze App, is letting me know there is a speed trap up ahead. I don't speed up, and sure enough, there is a speed trap ahead. I avoid getting a ticket.

8. On the way to the river, your friend in the backseat gets a hot tip via social media on a new fly that is getting all the bigguns. But, nobody knows how to tie it or what it looks like. (Newbs, I know.)

Do you:

a. Get to the local fly shop and hope they are open and hope they haven't sold out on the particular pattern.
b. Stop the car, call your friend who you just dropped off at the hospital who is the expert fly tier of the group, and ask him to explain how to tie the specific pattern as he's strapped to a gurney half medicated?
c. Or do you, via voice instructions because we should always have two hands on the wheel, say, "Hey Google, how do you tie a InsertFlyNameHere?" and find video instructions on YouTube with specific instructions on how to tie it. Yes, I know. Too easy.

9. You finally get to the new spot that you found out hours ago, but your cell connection goes dead. :eek: The friend who's been asleep for the entire 3 hour ride in the backseat comments on how useless your phone is going to be without any cellular reception. But, sensing that you were headed to a new location where cellular data could be spotty, your phone automatically downloaded the offline maps of the new area. The newly downloaded maps kick in during the 'offline' period and your friend in the backseat goes back to sleep, muttering something about how he had to carry blocks of ice up and downhill when he was a kid.

10. You navigate the off-road mountain trails via the built in compass in conjunction with satellite version of the maps, instead of the road version that you have been using, and then pull up the topo version to scout terrain. (The paper printout and the regular compass are still inside the glove compartment, btw.). The satellite version offers satellite imagery, usually from that year, which shows you things you can't see on a traditional, or even topographical map (both of which you have available immediately at your disposal). You reach the parking point and people wonder whether to go upstream or downstream. You pull out your map, find a game trail via the satellite map that leads to some upstream holes and runs that you can clearly see on your maps which your buddies, in their traditional maps can't. Your buddies go downstream, not knowing if there is even a trail, and go in completely blind as to the topography of the river and the immediate aree...even though they have traditional maps and compasses. You catch fish till the cows come home.

11. On the way home, you order delivery from a restaurant that you Yelp'ed, text your better half that you're 43 minutes away from home in medium to heavy traffic (so you don't have to lie and say 'you're only 15 minutes away, i swear!') and you've sent the pics of your catches to your buddy who's recuperating at the hospital after drinking almond milk from Starbucks.

The moral of the story?

With Rand McNally, your friend would be dead, you'd still be stuck behind a rolled over potato truck, on your way to a river that's blown out, after receiving a speeding ticket, only to go home skunked because you fished the wrong spot that had no accessible trail, then come home to a pissed off better half, and no food.

;-)

(Obviously, this was all in jest.)

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Darkshadow, you had me at "and you can surf pron while your friend drives." Though I thought this was about regulations and maps, it's hard to argue with that logic :shades:

B.E.F.
(no, he didn't really say that. Well possibly if you read between the pics, err I mean lines).

yikes

Reaction score
darkshadow, you forgot #12:
12. While driving near the river you notice, parked off the side of the road in a previously ignored and seemingly nondescript location, a pickup with "Simms" and "FFF" stickers on the back window. You quickly snap a picture with your mobile phone, which tags it with GPS coordinates for later satellite map research and prospecting.​

Their "secret spot" is not so secret anymore. :icon_twis

darkshadow

Reaction score
darkshadow, you forgot #12:
12. While driving near the river you notice, parked off the side of the road in a previously ignored and seemingly nondescript location, a pickup with "Simms" and "FFF" stickers on the back window. You quickly snap a picture with your mobile phone, which tags it with GPS coordinates for later satellite map research and prospecting.​

Their "secret spot" is not so secret anymore. :icon_twis
Exactly. That's my fav. Snap a photo, get GPS locations, and while on the drive home, find out the history of the watershed. Jump on the DFG website, find out if historically it was stocked before, check topo maps to make sure the grade isn't too terrible to hold fish, and find out if the creek has water year around. Go to Google Maps, find a nice hairpin turnout where to park......

I couldn't do this 20 years ago. Just sayin. (And maybe that's why technology is frowned upon, I dunno...)

I had about 50 items in my previous post, but stopped because I assumed my point was made.

Yes, the cell phone is the scourge of our generation.

But when used correctly?.... :icon_evil Maybe it's not. (Except for that guy who thought his spot was 'secret')

fr8dog

Reaction score
It's been going on for a while now, but lately the guys with side scan sonar are being quite obvious. I stand on a spot picking off crappie. A bass boat almost circles me as he plays with his screen. HMMMM?!? Next time I'm out, by sheer coincidence said bass buster is setting in the same spot I've NEVER seen anyone. I like the tech improvements, GPS, improved sonar, but sometimes it's obnoxious. The old "bent rod pattern" updated.

denver1911

Reaction score
Technology, used wisely, can add tremendous value to your outdoor activities. But if you want to do it the old fashioned way, nothing wrong there either. I generally choose to use the computer for research before I go, download maps to my handheld GPS, and use it for navigation. But I always know how to get back if technology fails me.

yikes

Reaction score
I couldn't do this 20 years ago. Just sayin. (And maybe that's why technology is frowned upon, I dunno...)

But when used correctly?.... :icon_evil Maybe it's not. (Except for that guy who thought his spot was 'secret')
It's a good thing for you that I don't work for the CIA or NSA. Forget Jason Bourne: I would totally train my satellites and phone taps on a few local old-time anglers who are carrying around some very big secrets. I'm sure there's a flyfishing FISA court judge who would bend the rules for me in exchange for some "local knowledge".

darkshadow

Reaction score
It's a good thing for you that I don't work for the CIA or NSA. Forget Jason Bourne: I would totally train my satellites and phone taps on a few local old-time anglers who are carrying around some very big secrets. I'm sure there's a flyfishing FISA court judge who would bend the rules for me in exchange for some "local knowledge".
You already know my hot spots so its all good.

For those anglers who snap photos and post, make sure GPS is turned off.

For those anglers who use maps and compasses, much respect.

And for those who go into the thick wihtout anything but their fishing gear, kudos to them too.

Just realize that there are these young whippersnappers who have the latest tech at their disposal and will continue to use it.

My last 2 cents is that you can take away positive things from both approaches. Dont discount one or the other.